Help with Energy Weapons Build Character?

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:44 pm

I just finished my lvl 35 sneak character but now I'm looking to do a second playthrough with an energy weapon user. I have no idea where I should put my points on for SPECIAL but here's what I have so far:
S - 6
P - 8
E - 8
C - 1
I - 9
A - 3
L - 5

Tagged skills will be energy weapons, science, and repair. The fourth will be medicine.

I don't know WHY my endurance is 8. Maybe it's because i'm used to getting hit less since my last character hardly gets detected. IDK, doing an energy weapon scientist character came up randomly just because I was curious on how good they can be. Any suggestions on my SPECIAL stats? Tagged skills?
Laura Richards

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:37 pm

S:2
Pretty low, but take in mind that the every energy weapon (except the gauss rifle/YCS186/recharger rifle those are 5) has a strength requirement by 4 or lower and you can take a implant and the weapon handling perk which enable you to use every energy weapon available
P:5
Used in a lot of speech options, but numerous hats and chems able to boost it make it a waste of special points
E:8
This way you can take more DMG as well as take all the implants to boost other Special stats
C:4
Because it only adds to barter and charisma and is other than that not really useful (except if you are fond of companions then bring it up to about 6 or 7 ( to boost their nerve with 5% per Charisma point)
I:9
You'll get more skill points each lvl and retain more energy 'ammo' as well as a higher science and repair
A:5/6
As a energy weapon's guy you'll only benefit from this on the action points which are just not worth it
L:6
A bit of luck never hurt anyone

Well, hope it'll help you
Peter P Canning

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:36 pm

You don't need nine intelligence plain and simple you can't max out all skills and having more then a couple combat skills is kind of a waste and for that matter. So simply put you get little millage out of an intelligence that high.

You don't need more then 6 perception [after implant] as that's high enough to take better criticals. Which increases your damage when you critical by 50% Energy weapons have higher critical rates so you want more luck to take advantage of it, I say either a Luck of 7 with implant or a luck of 9 with implant. As you get the skill bonus with

For an extreme example[you don't necessarily want to max out luck] Luck 10, Finesse, Bones hat, Built to Destroy, Laser Commando and both ranks of http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Set_Lasers_for_Fun You have a base critical with lasers of 37% with the AER14 laser rifle it be 74%.

The AER14 its self deals 40dmg a shot after taking laser commando and maxing out energy weapons, now if 2/3 shots are critical hits.... and you have the better criticals perk..... :flamethrower:
Elizabeth Falvey

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:50 pm

I agree with lord...Int is very overrated in this game and no where near as good as previous fallouts. Luck is a big one for energy users bc of the crits. Im currently playing an EW scientist character, level 20 atm and my special was 5 6 5 6 3 6 9. IT level 2 gave me 4 int, enough for educated and that's all I needed. Tagged EW science speech.

Where I'm currently at I can kill most enemies pretty quick with a laser rifle+. Can't wait to take laser commander at 22. The recent patch has def made EW very fun to use!
c.o.s.m.o

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:36 pm

Why 8 Endurance? You don't really need to have that much Endurance.

Do something more balanced like this

6 ST
8 PE
4 EN
5 CH
5 IN
5 AG
7 LU

Take the Weapons Handling perk if you want to use the Plasma Caster.

Tags:

Energy Weapons (obviously)
Science for the ammo recipes and the perk that gives ammo recipes. That and Science also gives the ability to craft Stimpaks and Super Stimpaks.
Repair or Speech. Repair if you want to get the Jury Rigging perk. Speech if you want more dialogue options.
Amanda Leis

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:21 am

I just finished my lvl 35 sneak character but now I'm looking to do a second playthrough with an energy weapon user. I have no idea where I should put my points on for SPECIAL but here's what I have so far:
S - 6
P - 8
E - 8
C - 1
I - 9
A - 3
L - 5

Tagged skills will be energy weapons, science, and repair. The fourth will be medicine.

I don't know WHY my endurance is 8. Maybe it's because i'm used to getting hit less since my last character hardly gets detected. IDK, doing an energy weapon scientist character came up randomly just because I was curious on how good they can be. Any suggestions on my SPECIAL stats? Tagged skills?

Ok first off my char...

Wayland Storm

s p e c i a l
3 5 9 1 9 4 9

traits good natured built to destroy

tagged science energy w repair
also train barter survival

perks

lvl

2 intense train strength
4 educated
6 toughness
8 toughness
10 finesse
12 strong back
14 packrat
16 meltdown
18 jury rigging
20 better criticals
22 laser commander
24 adamantium skeleton

Now I didnt exactly follow this to the letter as perks happen when they happen.. but the stats are solid and proven.

Luck endurance and intel are very very useful and in that order for energy weapons..

Luck because of crits and how crit heavy energy weapons are.

Endurance because meltdown is by far the funnest yet most dangerous perk around. Also makes cartiing around spiked knuckles very useful...

intel because as an energy weapons user you want alot of skills and frankly if just fits with the idea of an energy weapon user.

No they dont have to be 9 but id suggest they be your main stats.
Alexandra walker

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:08 pm

S - 6
P - 8
E - 8
C - 1
I - 9
A - 3
L - 5

If you are going to go energy weapons then I suggest aquiring the YCS/186: The YCS/186 is a unique Gauss rifle and can easily be obtained by killing a group of mercenaries northeast of Jacobson Town and north of the ransacked caravan on the road to Jacobson Town. However, You must NOT take the Wild Wasteland Trait in the beginning of the game, if you do, they will be replaced by aliens. With the Laser commander and meltdown spec you can take out deathclaws in 1 shot but be careful cause meltdown can kill you as well if you are in close proximity to the mob.
Mr. Ray

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:03 am

In terms of SPECIAL:

S: 5 -- An implant will bring it to six which combined with the handling perk allows you to use all EW-weapons without out strength penalty
P: 6 -- plenty of headgear to improve this.
E: 6 -- The only thing you really need high Endurance for in and EW/science character is the implants.
C: 3 -- A dump stat in this build
I: 7 -- Helps with regards to several of your tagged skills and allows you a number of intelligence checks
A: 6 -- Depends on your VATS use, but considering EW generally low AP-cost might be handy. Otherwise subtract 2 and use it on another to pump stats you think need it
L: 7 -- Crits help a lot with energy weapons

All in all though, this is more about optimization.
I'd suggest you think about your roleplaying first, if you're going for it(otherwise you can optimize). Get an idea how good looking, smart, strong, though, fast he is. Where did he come from where did he learn his energy-weapons and science.
In general you are going to be capable enough that you don't have to worry about whether you have taken the best stats.
Gaelle Courant

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:07 pm

This is a character build that I call a "BoS Templar"

His/her main combat skill is EW, specifically laser weapons. The secondary skill is melee weapons, which is handy in tight-quarters fighting and in those situations where you need to conserve ammo.

Initial SPECIAL stats: S=7, P=6, E=6, C=1, I=7, A=5, L=8

Evolved SPECIAL stats: S=7, P=7 (implant), E=7 (implant), C=1, I=8 (implant), A=6 (implant), L=10 (2 X Intense Training) + Dermal Implant (DT +4) + Regenerative Implant (personal preference)

Perks per level:

Intense Training (+1 Luck)
Education
Vigilant Recycler (Because ammo doesn't grow on yucca plants)
Intense Training (+1 Luck)
Finesse
Super Slam (This will save your bacon)
Jury Rig (Handy!)
Better Criticals
Silent Running (Good to have, since you'll need to make a lot of shots while hidden. For those sought-after critical hits.)
Meltdown (Ignore the naysayers - this perk is made of win. Nothing like watching 5 advlt deathclaws revert to their atomic building blocks in a chain-reaction explosion!)
Laser Commander (Puts more hitting power into your lasers)
Piercing Strike (A nice perk in tandem with Super Slam - get yourself a machete gladius or Knock-knock and become an avatar of melee doom)
Unstoppable Force (No more annoying blocks)
Radiation Absorbtion

I've had a blast with this build. It's well-rounded and flexible. You'll notice the lack of any real defensive perks. That was a conscious decision that has improved my game experience.
Logan Greenwood

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:45 pm

S - 6
P - 8
E - 8
C - 1
I - 9
A - 3
L - 5

Energy Weapons strength lie in critical hits. You'll want luck at 9 (10 with an implant later), you don't need endurance past 5 as a ranged character, in fact I often put it to 1 with no negative effect.. INT / AGI / LUCK are so much more useful, AGI being the least useful.

Healing yourself only costs you caps, and the game hands you more caps than you can ever spend, so you are pretty much invulnerable. (unless you play in hardcoe, though you can take the Rad Child perk and get the same result).

I would hold off on tagging EW and take speech or lockpick along with science. That way, you'll have an easier time questing (if you intend to). Just make sure you can make the 70 science / 70 energy weapon requirements for perks at level 10+ and you'll be fine. Try to get sneak attacks in every now and then, maybe craft yourself some overcharge/max charge ammo.

Oh yes, and take Built to Destroy and Fast Shot. EW are very accurate, you'll want the speed increase because the faster you hit, the faster you crit. And so what if stuff degrade 15% faster? You have unlimited money after all, whats it really hurting you?

If you have money problems just go to vegas and gamble, with your high luck you'll win caps galore.
Jerry Cox

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:21 pm

I often put it to 1 with no negative effect.. INT / AGI / LUCK are so much more useful, AGI being the least useful.

Except the lack of implants. Might as well keep it average at five and get five special implants.
louise tagg

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:38 am

Except the lack of implants. Might as well keep it average at five and get five special implants.

Eh, implants are overrated.

+1 CHR? +2 barter and speech. worth 4000 caps? I think not.

+1 INT? You should have this at 9 or 10 already.

+1 PER? You should have this at 6 already (1 more gives you little to no effect on anything, see +1CHR)

+1 AGI You get AP for vats (which isn't used as often in this game)

+1 STR you can carry 10 more pounds... etc need I go on?

Besides, with a END of 1 you already DO have extra special points for the other stats, so it's like getting the implants, for free.
Sebrina Johnstone

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:21 am

Not the best ever power build but was fun and killed everything very quickly on a pre patch EW build.

Str 3: high strength on EW builds is just silly imo, 3 + weapon handling + implant will allow you to use all the common and powerful ones, and or chems will make any weapon available at 100% effective.
Perception 7: Higher the better, spot foes early, have better grasp at dialogue and come close to max start skill in lockpick and EW's.
Endurance 5: normal, plain old access to some perks, no penalties at all.
Charisma 8: I like it high, with companions in this case, ED-E and a human ranged one it made up for lack of weapon finds and ammo early on pre patch.
Intelligence 7: Got to say at 5 you'll have enough skill points for a great custom build, but for EW's it gives a great boost having it above average.
Agility 5: If a V.A.T.s player change it, but not much other reasons to have it high on a EW build imo, but take the implant to 6 for critical based perks.
Luck 5: I allways take 5, boost to 6 with implant for perks just like agility though.

Skills, EW, speech, science not much more to say these are the best imo, followed by repair.

Traits, single weapon skill, based on tech and dialogue go for good natured, Small frame is allways a good one too.
Petr Jordy Zugar

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:13 am

I realy dont think that high Int is good thing.... maybe 4-6.
(int is owerrated)
Fluffer

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:18 am

Energy Weapons strength lie in critical hits. You'll want luck at 9 (10 with an implant later), you don't need endurance past 5 as a ranged character, in fact I often put it to 1 with no negative effect.. INT / AGI / LUCK are so much more useful, AGI being the least useful.

Oh yes, and take Built to Destroy and Fast Shot. EW are very accurate, you'll want the speed increase because the faster you hit, the faster you crit. And so what if stuff degrade 15% faster? You have unlimited money after all, whats it really hurting you?

I know a lot of builds are focused on criticals, but is this post-patch still the only way?

When I start my new EW character I'll have luck at 2-3. The luck ran out with not dying from a headshot.
Still trying to find a good background, though.
On one hand I want to make her come from the Shi, which works well with science and energy weapons. On the other hand a Vault City background might fit as well and I have some more ideas for that character.
Motionsharp

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:39 am

Id say the only characters you should take low luck are heavy handed melee/unarmed.. and explosives characters.

Guns its perfectly fine to be mid range luck but ew.. definetly should be 7 plus and 9 to start if you can manage it.

Now I DO have a different energy weapons build thats not realty an energy weapons build you might like..

Lorna

s p e c i a l

3 3 6 9 9 4 6

traits good natured trigger discipline

tagged skills energy weapons science barter

also train speech repair lockpick medicine.

perks

2 end 7
4 educated
6 toughness
8 bloody mess
10 pack rat
12 mysterious stranger
14 miss fortune
16 finesse
18 living anatomy
22 laser commander

Not so much an energy weapons build as a techie build.
Pawel Platek

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:40 am

Id say the only characters you should take low luck are heavy handed melee/unarmed.. and explosives characters.

Guns its perfectly fine to be mid range luck but ew.. definetly should be 7 plus and 9 to start if you can manage it.

I'm not playing for optimal character building. I'm pretty positive that a low or average luck character will be quite viable for energy weapons.
Danielle Brown

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:05 am

playing un unloucky energy weapon build is like playing a weakling tribal build.. as long as you KNOW what your getting into fine.. but dont complain if its not as fun as you thought it would be.
CHARLODDE

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:18 am

Eh, implants are overrated.

+1 CHR? +2 barter and speech. worth 4000 caps? I think not. +5% to companions DT and DMG

+1 PER? You should have this at 6 already (1 more gives you little to no effect on anything, see +1CHR)

+1 AGI You get AP for vats (which isn't used as often in this game)

+1 STR you can carry 10 more pounds... etc need I go on?

Besides, with a END of 1 you already DO have extra special points for the other stats, so it's like getting the implants, for free.

I love your argument as I can turn your logic against you.
If you argue those boosts are worthless then there is no point gimping endurance to raise four stats.
On the other hand if they do have value, just start with an endurance of five and raise the four special points you sacrificed via implants as in the long run money won't be an issue. [five endurance is also necessary for strongback a handy perk]

Nine or Ten intelligence is also a waste you can't max out all skills so going for maximum skill points just isn't necessary. With stuff like naughty nightware, the utility jump suit the followers coat and chems you have a lot of temporary skill bonuses. With comprehension magazines provide a +20 bonus for those rare high skill checks. An intelligence of six with educated provides 429 skill points. Which is plenty.

playing un unloucky energy weapon build is like playing a weakling tribal build.. as long as you KNOW what your getting into fine.. but dont complain if its not as fun as you thought it would be.

Yep, the prime advantage of EW is the higher critical ceiling, and I'd say surviving a two or three gunshots to the head is lucky. If he wants to be unlucky he should focus on weapons that aren't good at criticaling.
Marquis deVille

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:01 am

Running an unlocky character is fun.. I have an unlucky heavy hnaded build I run and seeing things go wrong for me is just funny. I like to run builds with extrreme stats to see what happens on the edges..

1 str 10 str ect ect.. Its realy fun running a charcter with a big handycap and a high stat elsewhere.

On intel.. yup definetly dont need 10 intel.. my charcter started with 9 and got 10 by level 7... at level 23 hes pushed every skill I wanted and will max a few as soon as I get off my rump and find the last books for those skills. barter energy weapons repair science survival medicine lockpick all sept lockpick at 90 plus already and lockpick will be there next level.
Emily Jeffs

Post » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:59 pm

I'm not playing for optimal character building. I'm pretty positive that a low or average luck character will be quite viable for energy weapons.

Yeah the fact that energy weapons now do a decent amount of damage (since the patch) means that an energy character doesn't have to rely on criticals.

On the other hand, since energy weapons naturally have a higher crit chance than "normal" weapons, it makes sense to have a build that lets you get perks like Better Criticals, which needs Luck 6 and Perception 6.

With low luck, you'll hardly ever have the joy of turning someone to ash or a pile of goo. Then again, VATS mode boosts your chances, and you can take Finesse perk regardless of your stats (+5% critical chance), and if you recruit Boone you are given 1st Recon Beret which also does +5% critical chance.

Before the patch, energy weapons for the most part were underpowered... except that I had Luck 6, Finesse, Better Criticals, and the 1st Recon Beret. The result was that I was getting loads of criticals, and those criticals were quite powerful, and almost every enemy was disintegrated.

I'm thinking I may start wearing other hands apart from the 1st Recon Beret. It is trivially easy to get it and it gives far too good a bonus. Great for a low luck character, but if you already have good luck then it breaks the game. (Perhaps I'll mod it to boost 2% rather than 5% or something.)
Evaa

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:18 am

is the gauss rifle a laser or plasma weapon?
Trevi

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:00 am

is the gauss rifle a laser or plasma weapon?

Neither, think of a Gauss Rifle is as basically a rail gun. But it uses a magnetic coil instead of two rails.
Its an energy weapon because it uses electricity to propel a metal projectile instead of gunpowder.

The real U.S military is researching rail guns and similar weapons to replace batlteship and tank cannons. The idea being the projectile travels at such speed to due relatively the same damage as an explosive shell, at a fraction of the cost and without the danger of carrying the ammo.
Andrew Tarango

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:48 am

thanks for the info.
x_JeNnY_x

Post » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:46 am

If you ever saw the movie eraser.. those funky tech weapons at the end of the movie are gauss rifles.
Tasha Clifford

Return to Fallout: New Vegas