Help with quest stage update

Post » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:41 am

I am making a quest that needs to change to the next stage when the player gets within a certain range of an X marker. Do I create a script in the result script box in the quest stages tab? If so what script command is needed? Also how do you set creatures as quest targets?

noa zarfati

Post » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:57 am

I figured out the quest target part but just in case someone is having the same issue as me, you have to make sure that you have check the persistent ref box on the reference page once you have placed the npc on the map using the cell window and given it a reference name.

Tracy Byworth

Post » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:52 am

Heh. Yeah, that's tripped me up a fair few times, too.

Dan Endacott

Post » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:16 am

I am also having trouble getting the quest to activate. I want it to activate when I get close to an X marker. Any ideas?

Eve(G)

Post » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:52 pm

By 'activate', do you mean for the quest to actually start or for something else to happen, I can't tell? If you mean the former, then you must either run it from game start or have something else start the quest (which is all too often another quest, but it could be started by an object or NPC script, whatever...).

[I mean, I guess, that you can't script the X marker to start the quest. You need a quest to be running anyway... Markers are statics. But, if you put an invisible trigger box around the marker, you can start up anything when the PC enters it. Trigger boxes are activators that can have scripts attached, have a look for the entries starting 'trigzone'.]

Noely Ulloa

Post » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:11 pm

I mean I want the quest to start after having completed the frostcrag spire quest and then walking near the front door (there is an X marker right at the door) thanks

X(S.a.R.a.H)X

Post » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:07 am

Yes. A trigger box will serve you, see my edit to last reply.

DeeD

Post » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:01 pm

What do you mean by a trigger box. Also I just realized my quest isn't working without any parameters. I set it to start game enabled with no conditions and it still isn't starting.

Elizabeth Lysons

Post » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:18 am

When I use the recompile all results is says failed and to check the console for error messages but I don't know how to check the console, help!!!

Charlie Sarson

Post » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:24 am

They're invisible boxes that are very often used to set off traps when the PC enters them, but you can use them for anything. Have a look under Activators in the CS, look for 'trigzone' entries. Just have a play around with them and check out their scripts.

CONSOLE: Check under View in the CS that you have the console window enabled. If so, it should be there somewhere, perhaps under the other windows. It will throw up any compilation errors so it can be pretty useful.

Christina Trayler

Post » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:21 pm

Alright I think I can use that but first I have to figure out why its not starting without parameters

Trent Theriot

Post » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:56 pm

This is the error message "[CS] Script 'SE02Stage1500', line 7: Item 'SE02FIN' not found for parameter Quest. Compiled script not saved!" I don't understand. Any idea?

Edit: http://www.gamesas.com/user/802653-tegeus-cromis/ pointed out that SE02FIN is a stage from the Fringe of Madness quest but I have made no reference to that or any other quest.

Here is info and the scripts for my quest if it can help shine light on my problem.

My quest is called SaveLucky Priority 60 (Start Game Enabled is checked) Condition (GetPlayerInSEWorld 0, GetIsPlayableRace 1)

There are 4 NPCs 1 dog-Lucky (ref LuckyDog), and 3 mountain lions-EvilMountainLion1,2, and 3( ref EvilMountainLion1Ref, same for 2nd and 3rd with a 2 and 3) all 4 NPCs are set to be intially disabled

There is an X marker right in the middle of the NPCs called SaveLuckyQuestMarker

I have 5 stages in my quest indexed as 0, 10, 20, 30, 40

In index 0 I have this script

LuckyDog.Enable

EvilMountainLion1Ref.Enable

EvilMountainLion2Ref.Enable

EvilMountainLion3Ref.Enable

If (SaveLuckyQuestMarker.GetDistance Player < 100)

SetStage SaveLucky 10

EndIf

no conditions

In index 10 I have this script

If (EvilMountainLion1Ref.GetDead == 1 && EvilMountainLion2Ref.GetDead == 1 && EvilMountainLion3Ref.GetDead == 1)

SetStage SaveLucky 20

EndIf

no conditions

Index 20, and 30 have no scripts

and index 40 has this script

LuckyDog.AddScriptPackage LuckyFollow (Custom package I made)

I used The Ref for the 4 NPCs and The X Marker for Quest Targets

And there are 2 topics 1Lucky, and 2Lucky

There scripts are:

SetStage SaveLucky 30

SetStage SaveLucky 40

GetStage and GetIsId as conditions

That is all there is to my quest, if someone can find reference to another quest please let me know

Thanks

Update:

I went to the quest in the quest list called SE02 and found a call to SE02FIN (which is not in the list) and commented that command out an now I don't get that error. So I guess the "Recompile all results" button does all quests in the quest list.

But my quest still does not start.

I tried using the console to start it (StartQuest SaveLucky) no error but nothing happens
Javaun Thompson

Post » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:02 am

Well, I can say that you have exposed a bug here, but only by invoking the dreaded Recompile all Scripts. (Don't do this!!!) I'm sure someone else has pointed it out (many times) but this line in SE02 Stage 150:

Should not be there. The devs must have compiled it with SE02FIN in place and then removed that quest later. Pity there aren't stronger integrity checks.

Catharine Krupinski

Post » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:17 am

Ok but I still can't get my quest to start, even with console command. Any thoughts?

Edit: I got it to start with the setstage command.

Mariaa EM.

Post » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:53 am

Can I get some assist with the trigger box, I tried this for a script but when I walk across it nothing happens also it adds an image if there is no NIF linked but it needs to be invisible

scn StartLuckysQuest

short triggered

begin onTriggerActor player

if triggered == 0

SetStage SaveLucky 0

set triggered to 1

endif

end

Edit: Got the activator to work but now that I can get the mod to start I get to see all the rest of the problems.

I can't get quest markers to stop showing on dead npc until advancing to the next stage and I can't start conversation with the npc dog
Cassie Boyle

Return to IV - Oblivion