Here's how to marry Serana

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:23 pm

The only time I've encountered the problem you've described was during the "Touching the Sky" chapter of the quest. While that quest was active, Serana had no "Come with me" dialogue option to get her to follow you again after making her wait somewhere. Once that quest was over, the problem was fixed.

In answer to your question, no I never cured her and she's still a vampire. Perhaps curing her causes the same problem? Her dialogue options change and somebody involved forgot to make sure "Come with me" gets put back in after making her wait or dismissing her?

I Wonder if that is the case - curing her. (I never needed her to wait in the MQ, so never encountered that bug)

I have probably a dozen or so hours, and multiple quests finished after the Dawnguard MQ. Dang if I have to do all that again!
Teghan Harris

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:56 pm

You aren't taking into account that she probably doesn't have marriage dialogue.

she does have marriage dialogue, but she turns u down when you ask
YO MAma

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Since I dont own an Xbox I am quite fascinated by all this hype about Serana...it is quite nice to see tht she has some different things going than most followers, and the fact that she is tied so closely to the main quest in Dawnguard makes her stand up from the rest of the cookie cutter followers....In a weird sense I belive that Bethesda is really behind the curve on how to create memorable characters in Skyrim....but seeing that Serana actually has quite lot of dialogue and interaction with you on the DLC makes me beleive that that could be the way to go for future companions, maybe adding the classic special companion quest idea to regular copanions like Jannesa could have made her something more than a regular follower
Rhi Edwards

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:02 pm

she does have marriage dialogue, but she turns u down when you ask
I meant the things like "yes dear?".
Charles Weber

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:32 pm

seeing that Serana actually has quite lot of dialogue and interaction with you on the DLC makes me beleive that that could be the way to go for future companions, maybe adding the classic special companion quest idea to regular copanions like Jannesa could have made her something more than a regular follower

Serena was a major character in Dawnguard so it's understandable that she got more development. But the other new followers (the Dawnguard and Volkihar vampire followers) fall under that "cookie-cutter" category.
Mariana

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:24 pm

she dont need no man in her life,shes a strong independant vampire princess
Dj Matty P

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:43 am

Yeah. Not one of those meek and extremely clingy vampire princesses. God, do they annoy me.
Steve Bates

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:10 pm

Simply decide that you are. That's all there is to it. It is a roleplaying game, after all.

What do you mean "That's not the same thing. I want to be able to marry Serana in the same way I can marry other NPCs!"? Come on, now. Is that really what you want?

Your opinion may differ from mine, but to me, the combined benefit of a daily homecooked meal, the Lover's Comfort bonus, and the convenience of an in-home merchant simply isn't worth what the marriage mechanic does to an NPC--- reducing them to the status of an annoying talking doll that pulls it's own string every time you brush past them. "Yes my love? What do you need?" Nothing, for Christ's sake! Didn't you just ask me that five seconds ago?

Marriage in Skyrim is static, repetitive, and gets very dull very fast. So who cares if you can't technically get married to Serana?

But most importantly, she doesn't yammer my ear off with that same repetitive dialogue which is unavoidable when it comes to "real" Skyrim marriages. Best Skyrim marriage I've had so far.

This. I honestly don't see the big deal of an NPC marriage. Its pointless, dumb, and has little to no depth. Even from a roleplaying aspect.

Especially in the way Bethesda implemented it.

I like this post.
JR Cash

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:14 am

Role playing makes everything better. :wub:
Rarely are truer words spoken.
Siobhan Thompson

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:07 pm

She'll use the standard Nord wife dialogue.
Boring. At least give her some unique marriage dialogue.
Flutterby

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:13 am

There basically is romance with her in the game. It's subtle and without marriage but it's there.

I agree. There's definitely some chemistry between the player and Serana. It doesn't have to have an official stamp of approval with marriage. I like it how it is. The only small difference I would have enjoyed would be that once the dawnguard MQ is complete, she could have been given the option to stay at your player house while not following, instead of just at the fort/castle.
TWITTER.COM

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Marriage in skyrim is dull. I mean x) Intrested in me are you? Answer yes.
Okay we will get married tomorrow.
Then after the classic "i do" they just walk away to their home,I guess its too hard to make a kiss animation into skyrim. Not even a hug.
Anyway,Glad there are people that actually like the marriage in skyrim
Alex Vincent

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:32 pm

lol i am laughing hysterically about this post, are you guys really this serious about marrying npc's in a video game??? wow lol, ive been gaming for 20+ years and ive never had the urge to marry or make out with a npc hehe
Charlie Sarson

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Marry Camilla. Then find Faendal in your house when you come home. :tongue:

Too funny. I did marry her. Faendal was at the wedding and gave the generic I wish you a happy life. After that the guy has vanished. I can't find him at his house or anywhere. I think Camilla is hiding him in a closet somewhere
Vera Maslar

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:03 pm

lol i am laughing hysterically about this post, are you guys really this serious about marrying npc's in a video game??? wow lol, ive been gaming for 20+ years and ive never had the urge to marry or make out with a npc hehe
Then that is your problem, sir, not ours.
Tamika Jett

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:40 am

Then that is your problem, sir, not ours.

Indeed.

In general, people should learn to respect other's wishes, ideals or behaviours.
Although sadly, most these days are forced to drain their moral center due to peer pressure.
Only through a cerebral shunt, a revelation or persuasion can one have the freedom to accept all.
Claire Vaux

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:14 pm

There are certain points during the main Dawnguard questline where Serana can neither be made to wait nor can she be dismissed because she's integral to that stage of the quest. But once you've completed the DLC, Serana can be dismissed/reacquired or made to wait somewhere at any time just like any other follower. And like any other follower, if you leave her to wait somewhere for too long, she'll eventually return to her designated "home" (either the castle of the fort depending on which faction you've sided with). So no, you can't park her in your chosen home indefinitely, unfortunately.

But unlike other followers, Serana will interact with objects in her immediate vicinity whether she's being made to wait somewhere or not. If she's your follower and you're just standing idle somewhere, she may sit down on a nearby chair, or begin to use an alchemy workstation if you happen to be near one. It's actually rather amusing sometimes. I was exploring a cave with her when she surprised me by starting to mine a nearby ore vein that I hadn't even noticed. She doesn't actually extract any ore though, she just goes through the animation. In taverns, if there's a bard playing, and she's standing close enough, she'll pull out a mug and start drinking and dancing along with the song.

She's also marked essential, right? That might be enough to bring her along everywhere. It's just annoying to have a badass follower spouse, and they get killed by the next dragon we encounter.
Big Homie

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Marrying Serana is somewhat lame. I like to think of them as the Gene Simmons/Shanon Tweed of Skyrim. Happily unmarried for almost 30 years. Until he went and finally tied the knot....
Andrew Lang

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:56 am

She's also marked essential, right? That might be enough to bring her along everywhere. It's just annoying to have a badass follower spouse, and they get killed by the next dragon we encounter.

Serana's AI is much better than the vanilla followers. Granted I didn't use many mage followers in vanilla. But she's rarely the focus of aggression. She does a pretty good job of staying out of the fray and is quick to thrall anything that drops.
Scared humanity

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:18 pm

She's the only decent follower in the entire game, I get the appeal.

Everyone else is so bland they make vanilla ice-cream look exotic.
Jah Allen

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Indeed.

In general, people should learn to respect other's wishes, ideals or behaviours.
Although sadly, most these days are forced to drain their moral center due to peer pressure.
Only through a cerebral shunt, a revelation or persuasion can one have the freedom to accept all.

QFT
Breanna Van Dijk

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Not sure I see the appeal of Serana outside the MQ. Her quest related dialogue is obviously very well scripted. But after the MQ she becomes a rather boring follower. She has fewer battle cries than any of your housecarls and she doesn't have much of interest to say about most of the locations you visit. I also tire of her hyperactive disorder while I am trying to interact with another NPC. She keeps bumping into my character or coming in between me and the other NPC. When I am trying to smith something at Warmaidens she will plop down on the grindstone just before I want to use it. The idea is great, the execution leaves something to be desired.

I think the best generic (i.e. non-quest related) follower is Jenassa, or perhaps Marcurio. They both have several varied comments on the places you go, but they are not nearly as intrusive as Mjoll or Lucien Lachance who are constantly saying something while I am trying to listen to another NPC.

In sum, outside the MQ, Serana doesn't have much to say, not even with battle cries, and her hyperactivity can be quite annoying when you are trying to interact with the environment/other NPCs.
Natalie J Webster

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:52 pm

I actually wouldn't mind if Bethesda just patched in some kind of passive bonus we get when Serana is around, and then if we sleep in the same bed as her we get another bonus, or it adds on to the bonus we get for having her around. But I think the only way we should get the bonus for having her around is if you have already talked to her about getting married and she declines, that way for those who don't like her don't have to have that bonus.
Alisha Clarke

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:20 pm

I like Serana, and her interaction with the Skyrim world is enjoyable to watch. I'm not looking to marry her, however I have had a few situations in which I lost her in a cave, and spent time trying to find her, which I did. I have an attachment to her that was missing with Lydia, who I married, and used as a follower in vanilla.
After reading all of these posts, I wonder if you all would pause a quest and look for Serana until you found her, or just continue on the quest hoping she shows up, eventually. I think most people will go searching, but I may be wrong.
Anyway, she's a well designed character, and something the developer should be proud of.
Guinevere Wood

Post » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:17 pm

I can understand that, but I'm not sure what they could have realistically done. More dialogue I suppose, but her dialogue can't go on forever. Eventually, it would have to come down to a selection of post-game interactions that could be repeated with her and I can't think of what those might be that would satisfy anyone's definition of meaningful companionship without them having to use their own imagination.

You can already travel and fight with her. You can already live with her in either the castle or the fortress (depending on your alignment). If you want her to live with you in your choice of Skyrim home, well, you can simulate that on your own provided you remain in the house with her and, if you must step out, then just don't leave her in the house waiting for you for too long.

What's left? The ability to bed her, I suppose. But unless Bethesda was willing to accept an ESRB rating of "advlts Only" (not a chance), then it's unlikely that this would have amounted to little more than a bit of suggestive dialogue beside the bed followed by a brief fade to black. Hardly thrilling and a player could simulate that him/herself right now by just imagining the dialogue and then closing their eyes for a few seconds.

I really feel she's perfect the way she is now in that she's almost completely silent. I can therefore stand directly in front of her and imagine any sort of conversation taking place between us that I can think of. I can't do that with a Skyrim spouse because they bombard me with repetitive dialogue whenever my character is within a few feet of them. Besides being annoying, it's also immersion-breaking.

Although, I suppose the argument could be made that this is, in fact, more realistic. I just now walked over to my real-life wife and stood in front of her saying nothing for a few seconds. She told me "What the hell's your problem?" I guess that's close enough to "What do you need?"

I agree with you. To be honest, when I heard Skyrim was going to include marriage, I didn't really know what to think, but as it was in Fable, marriage doesn't really mean a whole lot (even with the ability to have intercourse, it is just a silly diversion that doesn't add anything to the game). However, I think if they ever decided to add onto the marriage component in DLC, then marrying Serana would be something EVERYONE would want. By that, I mean if they add children into the game or spouse/child related radiant quests (such as the rescue quests in Dawnguard). In Fable II, the introduction of children into the marriage aspect of the game really made me care more about the fact that you could get married, or at least it made it some what more rewarding and interesting. I will never forget doing the radiant quest where you rescue your child in Fable II, it was one of my favorites just because it really made all of the heroics I was doing feel personal. Then when you find out that the main villian (his name eludes me for some reason) killed your family to prevent the continuation of the heroic bloodline... well that was the biggest driving force behind my hatred of him, adding onto the fact that he already killed your sister.

As it stand, I still want to be able to marry Serana, just because it seems like such a natural conclusion to the way all of the dialogue flows during the MQ in Dawnguard (and not to mention the fact that you can bring it up with her directly, rub it in Bethesda, rub it in). Whether you convince her to be cured and have a redeemed life with her or turn her into your vampire queen, the option just seems to make sense. I agree that it really wouldn't add anything more to the development of her character, and might sour it for some. However, with the way radiant quests work, it just seems to me that marriage could be a much more interesting addition to the game outside of having another place to sell goods and get money. Add the option to have your husband/wife give you errands or ask favors of you. Put in quests where they get captured by vampires or the Dawnguard or some other group. Add in children into the game and give them the same mechanics.

No matter what is done, the issue of repetiveness will always rear its ugly head, however, as you said, you can RP whatever you want to regardless of what is going on. Adding in radiant quests to marriage in Skyrim will just provide more justification for its presence outside of the meager reasons it exists for right now. Either way, I still want to be able to marry Serana, but I think if they improve marriage in the future with radiant quests, it will make more sense to be able to do so. The whole reason I would rate Dawnguard as a success was because it made NPC interaction actually feel more meaningful. Adding into the marriage component would add a whole lot more meaning to spouse interaction in my humble opinion, and I hope it is something they look into doing, because adding that functionality in would be easy to achieve.
Phillip Brunyee

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim