Hired Thugs for Stealing

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:15 pm

In Skyrim you will encounter Hired Thugs that will fight you to the death, if someone paid them to do so because they got robbed by your character.

At first, when playing my warrior, it felt really great. fresh and new interaction always welcome. It was a promise for actions and consequences

However, it deeply destroys my immersion and sense of rp now that I am playing a Thief.

?Isn't the point of being, in my case at least, a master stealth and thief, being someone who's identity is simply unknown when they are commiting crimes?

I put all the effort in the world I put to steal something without anyone watching me even near the house, but somehow they still find out that it was me. This breaks my rp :(
Tinkerbells

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:31 pm

I've only had it once, and this was from a cabin deep in the wilderness. I guess it didn't take long for the owner of said items to realise that the most recent visitor cleaned out their house....
Nathan Barker

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:56 am

In Skyrim you will encounter Hired Thugs that will fight you to the death, if someone paid them to do so because they got robbed by your character.

At first, when playing my warrior, it felt really great. fresh and new interaction always welcome. It was a promise for actions and consequences

However, it deeply destroys my immersion and sense of rp now that I am playing a Thief.

?Isn't the point of being, in my case at least, a master stealth and thief, being someone who's identity is simply unknown when they are commiting crimes?

Ever had something disappear from your home after someone just recently visited? It's basically reasoned out like that. Something was there before you showed up, and after you'd left, it was noticed that the object in question was missing. You, being the most recent visitor at the time of the item's disappearance makes you the most likely culprit, and the thugs are meant to scare the object out of you. Of course, the thugs don't care for following orders, because they're thugs, and they'd rather leave you for dead and take whatever's worth some coin off your dead body.

I put all the effort in the world I put to steal something without anyone watching me even near the house, but somehow they still find out that it was me. This breaks my rp :(

If anything, this should add to it. Do you really know people in real life who actually dismiss a suddenly missing object as just a part of their own imagination?

If you do, could I have their addresses?

For research purposes, naturally.
Charles Mckinna

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:56 pm

I don't like it. Why? Because a lot of the time it makes no sense. I snuck into Arcadia's Cauldron (I think that's what its called..?) and stole hundreds of dollars worth of potions and ingredients. The problem is, Arcadia was fast asleep and I was undetected the whole time...not to mention I had never even BEEN in there during the day, had never even talked to her (she had never seen me), had never bought anything or stole anything from there previously...so needless to say I found it dumb when 3 hired thugs attacked me, carrying a note stating that Arcadia had sent them. -_- Immersion-killing for sure. There is no possible way they could have known it was me, she didn't even know about my existence when I stole that stuff! -_-
Ymani Hood

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:25 am

What I want to know, is why I can loot the Dark Brotherhoods Assassin's armor.
lisa nuttall

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:31 am

What I want to know, is why I can loot the Dark Brotherhoods Assassin's armor.

You can't loot that (ever) but...

Spoiler
If you don't want to join them you can kill their leader(when they try to recruit you), and then kill the rest of them, and loot their armor. If you don't know where to start... just ask around Windhelm

Nuno Castro

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:59 pm

It is a good implementation, but it could be done better.

If you are the only one in the shop, and you steal something undetected, then the shopkeeper will still know it was you because the item was missing after you came into the shop. So hired thugs in this case makes sense.

Though I think hired thugs shouldn't be for stealing something. It should be for more severe cases, like you killing a shopkeeper. The relatives of that shopkeeper will take over the shop, and then hire thugs (or contact the Dark Brotherhood if they are angry enough) to kill you.

So yes it is a good feature, but it could be done better.
Euan

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:14 am

I too only had it once (as another said) I got the "contract" off of one of the corpses (yea, they all died lol) and it told me who hired them...ROTFL I found her in my travels and [censored] slaughtered her :D It gave me a personal objective I wanted to obtain. So far it been a good experience. I have only stolen casually though, so its mostly crimes of "opportunity". I have not encountered another groupe of hired thugs since. I think its cool, but only every so often, maybe should be tied to lvl of sneak or something.
Jack Moves

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:03 pm

i like it add's to my RP i get to charge back into said shop impale the shop keeper who sent the thugs then place the letter on the corpse

then surrender peacefully to the guards and serve my sentence
BrEezy Baby

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:23 pm

I don't like it. Why? Because a lot of the time it makes no sense. I snuck into Arcadia's Cauldron (I think that's what its called..?) and stole hundreds of dollars worth of potions and ingredients. The problem is, Arcadia was fast asleep and I was undetected the whole time...not to mention I had never even BEEN in there during the day, had never even talked to her (she had never seen me), had never bought anything or stole anything from there previously...so needless to say I found it dumb when 3 hired thugs attacked me, carrying a note stating that Arcadia had sent them. -_- Immersion-killing for sure. There is no possible way they could have known it was me, she didn't even know about my existence when I stole that stuff! -_-

Yeah, that seems to be more down to bad script triggering, given that I've had notes delivered to me from "a friend" that would inform me I'd caused a stir with using my dragon shout...in the last dungeon I'd gone through. I really don't think a bunch of Draugr I'd just pasted would want to help facilitate my further growth as the mythical dragon-born.

What svcks for me is that I've stolen ludicrous amounts of stuff from people since the first bunch of thugs were sent after me early in my character's game, and I've yet to be visited again or anything. I have picked pockets and stolen with impunity, and even when caught I go right back to picking the same pocket and stealing more of the same crap from the same person.

I just chalk it up as roleplaying though, by assuming that no more thugs are sent after me because by now, everyone knows that I'm dragon-born and sending anyone after me is just knowingly sending fools to their deaths and the thugs know well enough, themselves, not to accept such contracts.
Penny Flame

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:14 pm

The first (and only) time I encountered the Hired Thugs, they gave my character huge problems. I've had to reload various times before I realized that I had a storm atronach scroll. This was on the first day with the game and I hadn't even knowingly stolen something (I had taken a fish steak out of a barrel in the Riverwood inn, but it hadn't had the "steal" option). May not be a bad idea for there to be alternate ways to get out of this. Without the scroll, I would probably have had to restart the game.
Vicky Keeler

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:52 am

I like it, though sometimes the system adds encounters that don't much sense.
Spoiler

After I killed Hern, I found some hired thugs after me, with a letter from Hert telling them to kill me. I killed Hert first out of the two in the Dark Brotherhood Quest, and watched the body float down the stream after the battle, so how could the dead body pay some thugs to kill me for killing her husband, who was still alive when she died?

Other than things like that, I love the random event system for Skyrim.
Jeff Tingler

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:19 am

When i encountered them the note said from 3aria. WHO DA F IS 3ARIA!?!?! I google every name Earia, Daria, Baria but i still dont know who it is :( can anyone help?
Elena Alina

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:38 am

They wouldn't hire thugs if they had evidence. They'd go to the guards.
That's how I look at it.
barbara belmonte

Return to V - Skyrim