A honest Fallout 4 review by an old fallout player.

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:11 pm

Why do some people seem to think that having a 100% player generated character with no given goals or back story is an essential element of an RPG? It's actually a pretty recent trend in RPGs to allow for the custom creation of playable characters and in fact a large majority of what are classified as RPGs still give you a pre developed character with a back story and plot to play as.

Even with the given back story, FO4 gives us more character options than a lot of rpgs out there. Sure, you can say you want more freedom and options in that regard, but it makes you look like you've only been playing video games for a couple years when you insinuate that FO4 isn't a true RPG because your character has a child....
Rik Douglas

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:04 am

Show some respect. Those Fallouts were some of the best games ever & Bethesda thinks so as well. Without them there would never be a Fallout 4

You should know that before all the moaning about EA Activision etc, game studios really struggled. With money comes security, and we take the good and the bad. Beth only hit the big leagues with massively marketed Morrowind, which itself was really a marketing demo, since as a game it lacked too many features to realize their grand vision. Really a case of graphics over gameplay, despite their obvious care and ambition, but a groundbreaking use of technology.

Jordan Fletcher

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:00 am

Yeah and look wheres Troika and the IPs they had.. Glad they didnt get Fallout instead of Bethesda .

Alexis Estrada

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:45 pm

I only disagree about the UI...its not ok at all. Its terrible, specially regarding settlement building.

But, I still think its a good game, nowhere near the hype, but a good game.

Damien Mulvenna

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:45 am

There wouldn't have been a Fallout 4 if Bethesda hadn't bought the franchise after Interplay shut down Black Isle either.

Joie Perez

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:47 am

Funny thing to say the game is made for 13 year olds, in reality http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1553216-do-you-like-fallout-4/ shows the game is liked by a vast majority of mature audience. Good job Bethesda, you aim your game at children and eventually please everyone :goodjob:

ShOrty

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:19 pm

Why would Troika have folded if they had a Fallout game to work on?

Chloe Yarnall

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:02 pm

I must have played a different Fallout 3 to everyone else.

I remember running around a wasteland shooting stuff, talking to silly characters and doing little side quests before compleying the linear main quest with the "Good Guys".

Very enjoyable it was too at the time.

But now I keep hearing about all this "depth" it had, and how it was aimed at an older, smarter type of player.

Like what? What did I miss in Fallout 3? Seriously.
Blessed DIVA

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:20 pm

Nicely said! A lot of "great" studios sank and took good IP's with them in the grave, but some were resurrected by great studios like Bethesda. Bethesda gave Fallout a pretty unique and appealing interpretation, opposed to what happened to Thief, for instance. The fans of the old games can always play the old games made by the original makers, they don't have to torture themselves with modern interpretation.

Mr. Allen

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:54 pm

Because they had really bad marketting. Also if you think Bethesda games are buggy just find Vampire Bloodlines and Arcanum with no patches and try to play... Dont get me wrong both were great games and those guys were great devs but the point is they lacked management and marketting.

kirsty joanne hines

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:23 pm

I'll make sure I do so after all the "old school" Fallout fans show Bethesda the respect they deserve instead of automatically complaining that things are different now. Again like it or not this is Their series now and they aren't going to completely change their formula to cater to the vocal minority. Hell they have already done plenty to be faithful to the spirit of the originals but some are too blind with bias to see that.
Kellymarie Heppell

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:28 pm

Disappointing to see so posts asserting FO1 & 2 were effectively sub-par. I can guarantee you that if the IP were not owned by Bethesda but rather the original or a defunct studio that [censored] would be on KickStarter faster than you can say "We're getting the band back together".

Edit: And it would work too.

Emma Copeland

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:10 pm

I'm not saying a Troika Fallout 3 would've been a stunning success (although I think it probably would've easily been their most successful game and at least sold at Arcanum levels) I'm just saying they would've gotten at least one game out of it. I don't mind bugs if the product itself is worth playing through them.

The point is to pretend that Fallout would be dead if not for Bethesda isn't true. People were interested. Fallout games were going to be made by someone.

RUby DIaz

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Well...what should I say...I completely disagree with most of your points, as some of them are just not a step back but a step forward to me, like the voiceacting (hell, I was thrilled yesterday in the main quest as i found K****!)

Further "critisism" like "to less armor, vaults, caves, metro" is just wrong, sorry buddy. I bought the Vault Dweller Survival guide, it nearly has 600 pages full of monsters, statistics, quests, items and locations. I'm blasted how much content there actually is!

You have 5 or 6 vaults in total in FO 4, enough if you ask me!

There is far more than your mentioned 4 types of armor, you allready got 4 different types of Power Armor, leather, metal, raider, synth, combat armor with several "quality levels (leather armor covers more of your body and has higher base resists and so on) depending on the level of the area you are. Everything modable to adapt to different playstyles.

There is just a ton of variations in the armor, no Fallout game ever had.

The perk system is great and makes sense. The old SPECIAL-skill system was nonsense, cause you could have 100% Melee Damage but one hit everything with just 1 point of strength. Erm, where's the logic?

Could go on for a while, but most critics come from people, who claim to be "Fallout Fans" till Fallout 1, and that's the prob: Nostalgia!

Games change, they develop. Some people don't like it, some do. But calling everyone who likes FO4 a "12-17 year old CoD-Fan" is insulting for me, as I'm a 28 year old RPG-Fan who is disgusted by CoD and other FPS-[censored]...Maybe your expectations where just far to high/retro?

Joanne

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:32 pm

We are definitely on the same page. I'm actually sympathetic to their pain but when its about what to me is my gain, it get's tiresome.

Mizz.Jayy

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:07 pm

The OP did not have any apparent issue with Fallout 3 or the style of the new games. Keep hacking away at those strawmen though.

Lucie H

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:10 am

Ok I read that you don't like the game format anymore.

Go away, some other issue should be important enough to demand your time its not like gaming is sports and even if it was its not like the Bears are going to win the world series because of your love hate relationship.

Mark Churchman

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:06 am

In case of settlement management I can see the desired complexity hidden in there somewhere, but what we have now is just complicated, not complex. I may be biased, as I haven't seen such poor UI in my 30 years of gaming, but with current ui, keybinds and poor mouse management in build screens, it's barely usable.

Samantha hulme

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:48 am

So I've been reading of few of these posts, most of which are very negatove towards the game. (Warning I am a student studying game development and programming, so I might see things at a different prespective.)

First off the game was not not designed for 13 to 17 year olds at all, it was buit to target both young and old audiences.

Second, yes the story isnt amazing but nearly every fallout dosent have a decent story, and the voiced protagonist did a very good job, as for those people from other countries who say he sounds to american or whatever, The whole game is based off of american culture and the main character is a pre war american soldier, so of course hes going to sound american. And there are lots of hidden holtapes and storys on terminals and such that add to what lives were like before 2077 you just clearly havent found them yet.

As for the game being less of an RPG, the core mechanic of the game is to shoot people. Which would make it an FPS or TPS. The RPG elements of the game are clearly there as the the new perk system is great and requires planning as for what sort of build you want to be. If you were expecting the game to be more like 1 and 2 then you of course your going to be dissapointed, its been moving more towards being a shooter since fallout 3. And the whole getting power armor super early is dumb. Your character(if not female) was a solider who proabably used power armor before, so he would probably know how to use it.

The crafting system is well done, HOWEVER I do agree that I wish that there were more armor types that could be modded (non power armor) as well as I wish there were more melee weapon mods. And the legendary weapons are a tiny bit op but I dont give a crap becuase I love my kneecapping lazer rifle.

The settlement stuff is very easy for me to use, im assuming some people have good and bad luck with it also from what ive heard. The settlements are great making caps in the long run as items in the game are more expensive than I remember. But if you have problems building or find that you have gaps in your buildings, its cuase your using the wrong floors most likely, use the double decker wooden floors and the stairs in the wooden floor section and you shouldnt have any issues. My only complaint with the settelments is that they take alot of resources to get started.

As for the size and detail of the game, well the games map size moght not be as big as new vegas or fallout 3, but there are tons of other under ground shelters, (boston mayoral shelter etc wich are all kinda unique. Vault 95 was full of junkies who were rehabilitated and then given drugs again to see what happens.

I say spend alot more time exploring every corner of the world before you reveiw a game of this size and density. I mean hell even the companions interact with people in the citys like merchants guards etc, being able to change the color of your pip boy to Red to orange to pink! Try looking at some of the small details of the game and put more than 50 hors into it or do more than just the story before you put out a reveiw.

Also the only bug I have encountered is when I exit a crafting station my characters veiw gets messed up which is fixed my simply tapping the touch pad.

Playing on ps4 and I guess im one of those few 90s kids who doesnt really care or
Play Cod type games. 21 by the way. Total play time 1day,11h,7mins
Assumptah George

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:04 am

Short version, you just totally discredited yourself with that one statement.

I played Fallout 1 and 2 when they came out, both were buggy to the point of being unplayable untill the patch, and personally fallout 1 was the far better game,

NV was for the most part a kludge job. Based on his own statements about what he did in NV Chris's Avellone leaving Obsidian may be an improvement for Obsidian and himself.

That said.. Strictly fallout games? My opinion is

10 fallout
09 fallout 2
08 fallout 3, fallout NV only with certain mods + DLC
07 fallout NV with DLC, Fallout Tactics
02 fallout poc.

Bethesda games?

10 morrowind
9 skyrim
8.5 fallout 4
8 modblivion Fallout 3, NV with mods and DLC
Alyce Argabright

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:26 am

wastland 2
naana

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:56 pm

I respect the old Fallout games but I find it offensive that some of the fans say the Beth games are for the "call of duty" generation. Come on guys that's a bit dramatic.
Katie Samuel

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:09 pm

OP post is actually full of misinformation. Battle armor alone (depending on mods) has different looks from the basic one. You are also not at all forced to use PA. You can zoom-in map in pipboy... .

Lots of others stuff I won't bother with.

I played F1 like 5 times, F2 like 20, FT:BOS like 10 as well, F3 ~3, FNV ~8.

I enjoy F4. It's different but I like it. Woe be me.

leigh stewart

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:47 am

Alright, it can be fixed by mods, but that doesn't make the game any less bad than it actually is. I'm tired of Bethesda releasing games in this state just because their community can make the game playable by themselves.

herrade

Post » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Just for reference I'm 52, been playing FO since FO1 and have also played all the TES games.

I'm on my fifth character now. I keep restarting as I learn there are things I should have been doing all along (thanks for not have giving us any Game Manual Bethesda). So the highest I've gotten a character is 14th level.

I'll start with some things I like:

1) I like the companions, their random dialog, their interesting idles, etc. Not perfect but better than past NPC's.

2) The leveling system is growing on me. Still seems like I'll have to be 30th level before I'll actually have the character I wanted, but I don't miss the skills. Sometimes simplifying something does make it better.

3) Shooting mechanics are a blast. Watching raiders poke their heads around a corner to get a shot at me makes the gun fights a lot more interesting.

4) Weapon/armor modding. It took a while to figure out (again, thanks for no Game Manual Bethesda) but once I did it's a lot of fun. I love finding a gun with some mod I don't have and getting it back to a workbench.

5) I like the game world a lot. It don't nearly have the 'everything looks the same' feel as the prior games so I don't see where people are getting that complaint. I would like to see more caves and subways, etc. though.

Some things I don't like:

1) I really hate the voiced PC. I was hoping it would 'grow' on me, but actually the opposite is happening. Especially as I play characters I'm trying to play differently and they all sound exactly the same.

2) Settlement management is a nightmare. I've given up. And the more settlements I add the worse it becomes. Why can't I just hire someone to manage the settlements (like my house steward Skyrim). I mean seriously is the SS the only person on the planet that remembers how to make a bed?

3) Cooking food and crafting chems seems a total waste of time. Other than making Stew Glue for adhesive I have no use at all for food. Same with Chems and I've found so many that I'm just selling off the excess for caps. Sure in some tight spot a bit of food or a chem might be helpful ... but so would just a couple more rounds ... which is a lot easier since I already have my gun pointed at the enemy. Kind of like 'Dragon Shouts' they just become something that I forget I even have.

Charles Weber

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion