How do I clean up the Castle ?

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:46 pm

So this is my second play through and I am avoiding Concord at all cost to avoid Preston (he's soooooo annoying). So, I've been playing for a while now and I decided I would liberate the Castle myself (not very hard). I killed the queen and cleaned up all living Mirelurks, activated the work bench, turned on the power, activated the Radio Beacon, turned on the Water Purifier in the back, ect, ect. I have about 6-7 settlers and everything seemed fine. So, I left and came back a few day latter thinking the settlers would clean up the place (remove MireLurk eggs, clear away all the debris and just clean up in general) but, that’s not happening. The place still look like [censored].

How do I clean up the Castle?

James Shaw

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:56 pm

You can only clean up so much of the mess. If you're on a pc mods will make it look a lot better

Michelle Serenity Boss

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:12 pm

only way is with a mod.....There's a video on youtube about it...I have basically removed every pile of garbage in Red Rocket...Nice clean flooring outside...Removes weeds as well....

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4640/?

P PoLlo

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:17 pm

I don't think a mod is necessary for the clean up I'm talking about. When I did my 1st play through I rescued Preston, did some missions, retook the castle with the minute men, and left for awhile. When i returned they had cleaned up quite a bit (not everything but, a good amount). But, since I skipped on Preston it seems the castle will not clean up.

Has anyone experienced this?

NeverStopThe

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:06 pm

All of the Mirelurk refuse should eventually clean up, maybe when Old Guns starts? Give it more time I guess.

Sylvia Luciani

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:53 pm

But, don't you need the the quest from Preston to retake the castle in order to get the Old Guns Quest. Isn't Ronnie a MinuteMen.....err Minutewoman.

Ron

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:16 pm

Oh, wait, you're taking the Castle without doing the Minutemen? Huh, I didn't know that was possible. In that case it's very possible that the script to clean up the Mirelurk muck is dependent on completing Taking Independence and you might be screwed.

Now I'm really curious to hear what Preston says if you take the Castle before even becoming the General of the Minutemen.

Emily Graham

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:34 pm

Problem is, you're not with the minutemen. Preston gives the order to clean the place up and his men do the job. You, on your own will never be able to get rid of the nest remains and other non scrappable debris. Also, you never will get artillery support.

Chris Duncan

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:10 am

Noted

Thanks

Suzie Dalziel

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:00 pm

As the others have said, since cleaning all of this stuff up is directly related to a quest, I doubt that it'll clean itself up without actually completing the quest. It's been a while, but I seem to recall Preston even saying something along the lines of "we'll start cleaning this mess up while you get the radio up and running." Shortly thereafter, the queen, the eggs, and all of the other random mirelurks were cleaned up.

If you join the Minutemen, it's possible that when Preston first mentions taking the Castle back, that you'll get a dialog option like "I've already done that." This has happened to me with a few other (admittedly much more minor) quests. Deb in Bunker Hill asks you to clear out the ghouls at the National Guard Training Yard. By the time I first got to Bunker Hill, I had probably already cleared these ghouls out like a dozen times. One of my dialog choices was "I've already taken care of those ghouls". I selected that, and the quest started and finished right away. Deb paid me, and had some dialog that was scripted for that very occasion. It's possible that something similar will occur with Preston. After this, the completion of the quest may cause everything there to get cleaned up.

Marcin Tomkow

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:35 pm

I took the castle on my own, when I talked to Preston and finished the quest it cleaned up.

His dialoged is

SS "You mean that place south of Boston, I already cleared it"

"You did, well that's the best news I've heard in a while" < AKA like all the good news I have ever been told response.

lilmissparty

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:37 pm

As far as i can dislike a digital character (e.g. Not real hate so please no lectures about how can you hate a non- real pixel character), i despise preston and his credit grabbing, leeching parasite pose of being 'the last minuteman'.

The first mod that allows companions to be killed will be downloaded, installed, and have preston stuffed into a super mutant meat bag asap.
Lexy Dick

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:49 pm

Open the console, click on Preston, enter 'setessential 0'

This allows him to be permanently killed.

If you're on PC, of course. Personally though, I wouldn't recommend doing this. It's better to just send him to a settlement that you never go to.

Lillian Cawfield

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:31 pm

Awesome. I did the send preston to penal colomy thing on main, completionist playthrough, after earning his (and eveey other) companion perk. I tolerated him because i had to for completionist sake.

I am now on just-for-fun playthroughs and have zero intention of ever letting preston back into my game - now that i know this console command, he will be rotting in a meat bag.
Heather Stewart

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Doesn't seem like a good idea. First, a mod like this is supposed to already be around. Secondly, I wouldn't use it, since it has potentially gamebreaking issues. If an essential questgiver is removed, some quests simply won't show up. If it's main quest related, the whole main quest will go down the drain.

Lyd

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:26 pm

just send Preston to a settlement you never visit ......

kat no x

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:44 pm

That's the way to go. Another one is, making him work the fields. He doesn't walk around as much when farming and can't waylay you with any radiant.

Marine x

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:28 am

In my current playthrough I haven't gone back to the museum to talk to him after grabbing the power armor. "When freedom calls" just stays unfinished but you can avoid the Minutemen quests and his annoyance. Maybe I'll go back at some point but for now I really enjoy just exploring, doing quests, without having to deal with his missions and settlement attacks. I just built a nice Red Rocket base for me alone and it's perfect. Only downside is I don't have purifiers or an adhesive farm but I manage just fine without that.

CHANONE

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:08 am

You can still ally with other settlements, and gain all the benefits thereof, without getting the idiotic quests....... (I have a mod that gets rid of settlement attacks, and hopefully, kidnappings as well...... so, that helps, and, I haven't been to concord yet either. I am currently about level 40. :) )

Gracie Dugdale

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:09 am

Yes, I know, but for now I just like not having to worry about building and managing settlements. I spent a LOT of time doing that in the previous playthrough but now it's nice to just "play the game" and not worry about that. Like I said, maybe further down the line I'll establish a network, but for now my character only has 3 charisma anyway, so no Local Leader available. I can't even build crafting stations so the only two bases with all the crafting stations are Sancturary Hills and Red Rocket, as well as the Castle.

Vivien

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:29 am

You can collect settlements, but you never get artillery or any other benefit from Minutemen support.

That's why I make it my business to get him from there as late as possible.

tiffany Royal

Post » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:02 pm

Imagine that dead queen mirelurk wouldn't clean up, it would just be that huge carcass lying there at every visit ...

Edit: Meaning that the developers surely meant what stuff to clean up and what not ...

Mandi Norton

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:18 am

For me he is always working in the field inside the castle, I can not assign him in workshop mode, I was able to assign him as an guard back in sanctuary but not in the castle.

Yes I know I could just take him as an companion then take somebody else and send him another place but simply wanted him as an guard at the castle, his an soldier not an farmer.

+++CAZZY

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:19 am

I honored his soldier status by giving him the general uniform. But after that it was off to tending crops. He can damn well wait upon my pleasure to bother me with radiants.

All the original five are more or less out of my way now. Mama Murphy in her chair at some remote ruin where noone ever goes. Jon Lun, Brahmin droppings collector, Marcy, farmhand and Sturges, another farmhand. Couldn't stand him anymore. I swear if I hear another word about fixing anything, I call for an artillery strike.

kristy dunn

Return to Fallout 4