How to use Nifscan?

Post » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Here are the instructions from the Nexus page:

Drop in the folder with models and/or textures, it will check all nif and dds files from the same directory including subdirectories.

Redirect output to a file if needed nifscan.exe >errors.txt

Command line options:

• -nodds Do not perform checking of textures

• -fixdds Convert textures to the nearest format supported by SSE, right now R8G8B8 or A8R8G8B8

• -nosse Do not check for mesh issues that affect SSE but not a problem for Skyrim

• -nowvc Disable the check for redundant all white vertex colors

This tool use to have a batch file you could just click and it would accomplish what you needed, but now that it's strictly an executable I need someone that has experience with command prompt to tell me in very laymen/noobish terms exactly what to do/type to say convert a folder of meshes with this tool. I do not understand the instructions as is. I do know how to pull up a command prompt within a folder and I can type in nifscan and it says it checked x number of files but it doesn't actually convert anything, Within the instructions above though it does say one of the commands converts textures to the nearest format supported. Like I said I'm just not familar enough to command prompt to do it I'm getting the other parts of converting mods downs such as unpacking bsa's etc., converting the esp's on CK and so on. I'm trying to learn anyway I can by reading a lot and watching every video out there but none show the parts Im asking about. And if I find an acticle it's the same problem it says to do things in command prompt but it doesn't lay it out in laymen terms so it doesn't help me. But after learning some of the conversion process i'm really just stuck on being able to convert the loose files so I can pack them back up in a .bsa after unpacking the bsa to get to those file folders in the first place, mainly textures and meshes are the issue. Also, in case someone that sees this is also familair with SSE Optimizer, that now has a GUI so with that I'm guessing all you need to do is open it and click optimize and just make sure subdirectories is checked, correct?

Here's a good example of a video that shows the whole process of converting a mod but when it gets to the nifscan part he just has a batch file he clicks he doesn't do anything in command prompt and since I don''t have a batch that doesn't help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuutiKz3ws

Sweet Blighty

Post » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:54 am

Its very simple to create a batch file open Notepad and enter

Nifscan.exe -fixdds (or whatever switch you want)

@pause

and click File > Save As > MyFile.bat > Save as type: All Files (*.*) to save it as a .bat file and not .txt

make sure Nifscan.exe and MyFile.bat are in the same folder as the meshes

Double click the created .bat file to launch it it'll perform the action on all the files in the folder and subfolders

krystal sowten

Return to V - Skyrim