Iron Sights ON / OFF comparison

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:44 pm

I was realy looking forward to having true Iron Sights in Fallout Las Vegas.
But i am very disapointed by the results.

I made a short Youtube video with Bullet Time so you can see the animation realy slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4K7r0XO7aA&hd=1

ON:
aiming animation looks very choppy

zooming in (press right mouse button ) just warps the weapon to the center of the screen and then lines it up correctly which makes it look like it is just jumping arround all over the place for a second.
zooming out (release rmb) uses the very same animation as the OFF option(!), you can clearly see the weapon warping down a bit and then moving normaly to the right.

OFF:
aiming animations are correct, zooming in and out. The gun moves smoothly to the center and back as it should.
but seriously it just looks stupid on some weapons (like the one mod gun that i used for this video),
also you have to aim with the UI crosshair instead which can be irritating because the gun still moves to the center of the screen, which it never did in Fallout 3!

I expected that the OFF option would be 1:1 like Fallout 3 so that the oldschool players that like it that way can ignore the change and that the ON option would have proper aiming animations, but what we got are 2 versions of the same that both dont realy work as expected.

Which Obsidian Dev do i have to bribe with Beer and Pizza so that this get's officially fixed on all Versions (including PS3 and Xbox 360)?

I could imagine the PC getting a Mod to fix this *sometime* but if Bethesda does not fix it in an official patch the consoles will never have proper aiming.
kirsty joanne hines

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:56 pm

edit: ah, never mind. :)
Elizabeth Davis

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Which Bethesda Dev do i have to bribe with Beer and Pizza so that this get's officially fixed on all Versions (including PS3 and Xbox 360)?

New Vegas is made by Obsidian you know.
As for the ironsights, if you don't like them, don't have them :shrug:
Joanne

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:45 pm

edit: ah, never mind. :)

You figured out what he was saying?

Could you explain it to me? Because with Iron Sites on the guns shoot right where you tell them to. Is that not...right?
Paula Ramos

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:20 pm

Could you explain it to me? Because with Iron Sites on the guns shoot right where you tell them to. Is that not...right?

He's complaining that it looks funny when you watch it in slow motion.
neen

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:45 pm

No, I just decided that my post wasn't a useful contribution to the thread. And there's no "delete" option I could find quickly. :D
RAww DInsaww

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:00 am

New Vegas is made by Obsidian you know.
As for the ironsights, if you don't like them, don't have them :shrug:

oopsie edited ;)

the thing is i don't like both versions of it...
if i have it ON the animation looks F*ed up and if i have it OFF the weapon still moves to the center instead of the old default FO3 look where it stayed on the right side (like the laser pistol) and it is just irritating that it does that..
BrEezy Baby

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:03 pm

if i have it ON the animation looks F*ed up

But does the actual "iron sights" feature work? i.e, can you aim the gun at your target using the sights on the actual gun instead of a cursor?

(Because if it's just an animation issue.... well, the running animations look kinda wonky too. And a number of other animations. It's not anything specific to the iron sights feature. :shrug: )
Cameron Wood

Post » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:15 am

He's complaining that it looks funny when you watch it in slow motion.

No wonder I never saw this. I play the game in normal speed.
Ludivine Poussineau

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:51 pm

there are always going to be people who complain. my suggestion is learn to mod the anims yourself if you want "perfect animation" for the iron sights. i think he's just mad that it doesn't look like COD's FPS ironsights
Lily Something

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:34 pm

1) Vanilla weapons aren't choppy at all like this, even in slow-motion. It's your craptastic mod there.

2) The animations weren't meant to be seen in slow-motion

3) The shakiness is intended, since you're moving the gun from your hip to your shoulder.
Lyd

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:20 pm

What the OP is bringing up is a perfectly valid point.

When Iron Sights are ON, why does the gun jump rather than just moving fluidly into position? (which is clearly possible, since it does it when set to OFF)

When Iron Sights are OFF, why does zooming in still bring the gun up to use Iron Sights? Didn't we just set that to OFF? What's the point of setting Iron Sights to OFF if the gun uses a crappier Iron Sights anyway, where the targeting reticule is mis-aligned?
Jack Bryan

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:07 pm

I don't know what you dudes are talking about. I wish they would patch Fallout 3 to give it iron sights now.

There is nothing better for me than sneaking around with my fully modded Varmint Rifle and picking things off from a distance. In FO3, I would never be able to see certain things on the horizon w/o using VATS, which defeats the purpose of the sniper rifle!

I even like the iron sights on dopey things like the 9mm pistol. It just makes 1st-person gaming that much more real.
R.I.p MOmmy

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 pm

What the OP is bringing up is a perfectly valid point.

When Iron Sights are ON, why does the gun jump rather than just moving fluidly into position? (which is clearly possible, since it does it when set to OFF)

When Iron Sights are OFF, why does zooming in still bring the gun up to use Iron Sights? Didn't we just set that to OFF? What's the point of setting Iron Sights to OFF if the gun uses a crappier Iron Sights anyway, where the targeting reticule is mis-aligned?

Well, when it's OFF, the bullets hit the crosshair and the gun being raised is just visual fluff. The 'snapping' effect of ON is probably just a kludge job of getting true iron sight aiming working in an old creaky engine that isn't exactly renowned for animations.

Given enough time, PC modders may be able to clean it up, but the devs probably didn't have that luxury. You get used to the snapping in time. It threw me off at first but now I don't notice it, probably because I'm looking at the thing I'm trying to shoot, not the gun. ;)
casey macmillan

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:06 pm

1) Vanilla weapons aren't choppy at all like this, even in slow-motion. It's your craptastic mod there.

2) The animations weren't meant to be seen in slow-motion

3) The shakiness is intended, since you're moving the gun from your hip to your shoulder.

1) yes they are! same animation, checked it with multiple guns before i made the vid, should i make another one with vanilla guns or can you look at your screen yourself?

2) doesn't matter the animation also looks [censored] without slowmotion, some people actualy pay attention to what is on screen. The slowmo was just intended to anolyze what exactly the game is doing.

3) then why isn't it shaky if you select OFF, it should do the same thing... duh

You get used to the snapping in time. It threw me off at first but now I don't notice it, probably because I'm looking at the thing I'm trying to shoot, not the gun. ;)

yeah for me its the opposite, the more i play, the more i notice it... and it is allways so IN YOUR FACE ...you know?
hannah sillery

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:54 pm

No wonder I never saw this. I play the game in normal speed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA LOL!!!!!! omg... i [censored] myself!!!!! too true... too true... lol
Roanne Bardsley

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:39 pm

yeah for me its the opposite, the more i play, the more i notice it... and it is allways so IN YOUR FACE ...you know?

I know what you mean, but just try and deal with it till some clever modder comes up with a solution. Just be glad your reflex sight actually works like a reflex sight in this one instead of being decoration or a horrible fullscreen scope like in Fallout 3.
Kate Norris

Post » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:21 am

Well, i do agree the ironsight animation is kind of rushed , nobody can line up their weapon that quick.
Still, i like using the ironsights because 1. you get to know every gun personally. i don't need to give an example, right? 2. it is better for some weapons like the hunting rifle. i find the crosshair somewhat big when aiming from distances, which spoils my sneak critical completely when i shoot.
SUck MYdIck

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:17 pm

I never noticed... probably because i didn't care...

But more so, when im aiming down my sight at something i not thinking about how my gun is animated stupid... i'm thinking, i'm gonna take down that [censored].
Love iz not

Post » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:27 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nOu2-g3iE&hd=1

hmmm...?
jodie

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:13 pm

Question.. what gun is that and where did you get that scope!!!
Racheal Robertson

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:10 pm

unless it is a g.e.c.k mod? i have a 360
Ladymorphine

Post » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:17 pm

yes some of the guns are mods... from fallout new vegas nexus
Lexy Corpsey

Return to Fallout: New Vegas