Issue with DOSBOX

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Okay so I found that Daggerfall was free, and thought "hey why not" and decided to install it. So I hunted around, found the stickied thread forever above this one, and followed it's directions pretty much perfectly, despite one of my issues not being covered (the newest version of DOSBOX does not include a config file, so you have to make DOSBOX write one (and in the spirit of making whatever mod's job easy, I'll include the command at the end of the post in bold)). But now I've "completed" my installation, only loading DOSBOX does load the Autoexe settings in the Daggerfall.conf file, like the thread (and the DOSBOX wiki) make it seem.

What have I done wrong, and how do I; A) Fix it, and B) Get a Mod to include the information in the stickied thread above?

Thank you in advance, the DOSBOX command is config -writeconf dosbox.conf from the z drive.
Marnesia Steele

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:27 pm

Okay so I found that Daggerfall was free, and thought "hey why not" and decided to install it. So I hunted around, found the stickied thread forever above this one, and followed it's directions pretty much perfectly, despite one of my issues not being covered (the newest version of DOSBOX does not include a config file, so you have to make DOSBOX write one (and in the spirit of making whatever mod's job easy, I'll include the command at the end of the post in bold)). But now I've "completed" my installation, only loading DOSBOX does load the Autoexe settings in the Daggerfall.conf file, like the thread (and the DOSBOX wiki) make it seem.

What have I done wrong, and how do I; A) Fix it, and B) Get a Mod to include the information in the stickied thread above?

Thank you in advance, the DOSBOX command is config -writeconf dosbox.conf from the z drive.

Yeah, I had troubles myself, so here is the entire procedure. (Sorry, I don't know what tutorial you used, and if it's like the others I've found, it's likely wrong.)

So assuming you have DosBox 0.74, and the free Daggerfall download.

1. Extract the DaggerFall archive
2. Install DosBox
3. Copy DFCD to your root directory. (ie, "C:\")
4. Create a folder for the game. (ie, "C:\Games\Daggerfall")
5. Run DosBox

Once inside the DosBox command prompt type the following in order. (Press enter after each one, etc,.)

1. mount c c:\games\daggerfall -freesize 600000
2. mount d c:\dfcd -cdrom -label Daggerfall
3. d:
4. Install

That should bring the installer.

You need to change the install size to "Huge" and change the install directory to "C:\". (Select the options to start the install, then once it ask you about sound, use the autodetect options.)

While it's installing place the patch "dag213.exe" in your "C:\Games\Daggerfall" directory. (ie, inside the daggerfall folder.)

Once it's all done installing, you should exit DosBox, and restart it. (It can mess up otherwise at this step.)

So back inside DosBox after the restart type these. (Pressing enter after each one.)

1. mount c c:\games\daggerfall
2. c:
3. dag213

It should pop-up a few Y\N prompts, tell it "Y" and that should get the game installed and patched.

After it's all done, you may want to exit DosBox one more time, just to be cautious.

So, now you should be installed, and patched, and ready to play.

Open DosBox again.

1. mount c c:\games\daggerfall
2. mount d c:\dfcd -cdrom -label Daggerfall
3. c:
4. fall z.cfg

That should launch the game. (You can repeat these last 4 steps anytime you wanna play.)

As for configuring DosBox, on your start menu(Windows), look for DosBox, it should have an options sub-folder, click the DosBox 0.74 options link.

Should pop-up notepad, with a bunch of configuration stuff inside it. (At the end, you should be able to add the 4 steps from above to make it automatically launch daggerfall, though, if you use DosBox for other games, doing it manually would be better, that's what I do.)

You can compare my options against the defaults, though, depending on your hardware, some settings may not work as well, or at all for you.

// I believe this setting is required for Daggerfall to run correctly. (It's 16 by default.)
memsize=32

Spoiler

# This is the configurationfile for DOSBox 0.74. (Please use the latest version of DOSBox)# Lines starting with a # are commentlines and are ignored by DOSBox.# They are used to (briefly) document the effect of each option.[sdl]#       fullscreen: Start dosbox directly in fullscreen. (Press ALT-Enter to go back)#       fulldouble: Use double buffering in fullscreen. It can reduce screen flickering, but it can also result in a slow DOSBox.#   fullresolution: What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).#                     Using your monitor's native resolution with aspect=true might give the best results.#                     If you end up with small window on a large screen, try an output different from surface.# windowresolution: Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling.#                     (output=surface does not!)#           output: What video system to use for output.#                   Possible values: surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, ddraw.#         autolock: Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen. (Press CTRL-F10 to unlock)#      sensitivity: Mouse sensitivity.#      waitonerror: Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.#         priority: Priority levels for dosbox. Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.#                     pause is only valid for the second entry.#                   Possible values: lowest, lower, normal, higher, highest, pause.#       mapperfile: File used to load/save the key/event mappings from. Resetmapper only works with the defaul value.#     usescancodes: Avoid usage of symkeys, might not work on all operating systems.fullscreen=falsefulldouble=falsefullresolution=800x600windowresolution=originaloutput=ddrawautolock=truesensitivity=100waitonerror=truepriority=higher,normalmapperfile=mapper-0.74.mapusescancodes=true[dosbox]# language: Select another language file.#  machine: The type of machine tries to emulate.#           Possible values: hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly, svga_s3, svga_et3000, svga_et4000, svga_paradise, vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe.# captures: Directory where things like wave, midi, screenshot get captured.#  memsize: Amount of memory DOSBox has in megabytes.#             This value is best left at its default to avoid problems with some games,#             though few games might require a higher value.#             There is generally no speed advantage when raising this value.language=machine=svga_s3captures=capturememsize=32[render]# frameskip: How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one.#    aspect: Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.#    scaler: Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.#              If 'forced' is appended, then the scaler will be used even if the result might not be desired.#            Possible values: none, normal2x, normal3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, advinterp2x, advinterp3x, hq2x, hq3x, 2xsai, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, tv3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x, scan3x.frameskip=0aspect=truescaler=hq2x[cpu]#      core: CPU Core used in emulation. auto will switch to dynamic if available and appropriate.#            Possible values: auto, dynamic, normal, simple.#   cputype: CPU Type used in emulation. auto is the fastest choice.#            Possible values: auto, 386, 386_slow, 486_slow, pentium_slow, 386_prefetch.#    cycles: Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond.#            Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.#            Cycles can be set in 3 ways:#              'auto'          tries to guess what a game needs.#                              It usually works, but can fail for certain games.#              'fixed #number' will set a fixed amount of cycles. This is what you usually need if 'auto' fails.#                              (Example: fixed 4000).#              'max'           will allocate as much cycles as your computer is able to handle.#            #            Possible values: auto, fixed, max.#   cycleup: Amount of cycles to decrease/increase with keycombo.(CTRL-F11/CTRL-F12)# cycledown: Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.core=autocputype=autocycles=autocycleup=10cycledown=20[mixer]#   nosound: Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.#      rate: Mixer sample rate, setting any device's rate higher than this will probably lower their sound quality.#            Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.# blocksize: Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering but sound will also be more lagged.#            Possible values: 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 512, 256.# prebuffer: How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.nosound=falserate=44100blocksize=1024prebuffer=20[midi]#     mpu401: Type of MPU-401 to emulate.#             Possible values: intelligent, uart, none.# mididevice: Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.#             Possible values: default, win32, alsa, oss, coreaudio, coremidi, none.# midiconfig: Special configuration options for the device driver. This is usually the id of the device you want to use.#               See the README/Manual for more details.mpu401=intelligentmididevice=defaultmidiconfig=[sblaster]#  sbtype: Type of Soundblaster to emulate. gb is Gameblaster.#          Possible values: sb1, sb2, sbpro1, sbpro2, sb16, gb, none.#  sbbase: The IO address of the soundblaster.#          Possible values: 220, 240, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.#     irq: The IRQ number of the soundblaster.#          Possible values: 7, 5, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12.#     dma: The DMA number of the soundblaster.#          Possible values: 1, 5, 0, 3, 6, 7.#    hdma: The High DMA number of the soundblaster.#          Possible values: 1, 5, 0, 3, 6, 7.# sbmixer: Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the DOSBox mixer.# oplmode: Type of OPL emulation. On 'auto' the mode is determined by sblaster type. All OPL modes are Adlib-compatible, except for 'cms'.#          Possible values: auto, cms, opl2, dualopl2, opl3, none.#  oplemu: Provider for the OPL emulation. compat might provide better quality (see oplrate as well).#          Possible values: default, compat, fast.# oplrate: Sample rate of OPL music emulation. Use 49716 for highest quality (set the mixer rate accordingly).#          Possible values: 44100, 49716, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000.sbtype=sb16sbbase=220irq=7dma=1hdma=5sbmixer=trueoplmode=autooplemu=defaultoplrate=44100[gus]#      gus: Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.#  gusrate: Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.#           Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.#  gusbase: The IO base address of the Gravis Ultrasound.#           Possible values: 240, 220, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.#   gusirq: The IRQ number of the Gravis Ultrasound.#           Possible values: 5, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12.#   gusdma: The DMA channel of the Gravis Ultrasound.#           Possible values: 3, 0, 1, 5, 6, 7.# ultradir: Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory#           there should be a MIDI directory that contains#           the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used#           with Timidity should work fine.gus=falsegusrate=44100gusbase=240gusirq=5gusdma=3ultradir=C:\ULTRASND[speaker]# pcspeaker: Enable PC-Speaker emulation.#    pcrate: Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.#            Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.#     tandy: Enable Tandy Sound System emulation. For 'auto', emulation is present only if machine is set to 'tandy'.#            Possible values: auto, on, off.# tandyrate: Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.#            Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.#    disney: Enable Disney Sound Source emulation. (Covox Voice Master and Speech Thing compatible).pcspeaker=truepcrate=44100tandy=autotandyrate=44100disney=true[joystick]# joysticktype: Type of joystick to emulate: auto (default), none,#               2axis (supports two joysticks),#               4axis (supports one joystick, first joystick used),#               4axis_2 (supports one joystick, second joystick used),#               fcs (Thrustmaster), ch (CH Flightstick).#               none disables joystick emulation.#               auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s).#               (Remember to reset dosbox's mapperfile if you saved it earlier)#               Possible values: auto, 2axis, 4axis, 4axis_2, fcs, ch, none.#        timed: enable timed intervals for axis. Experiment with this option, if your joystick drifts (away).#     autofire: continuously fires as long as you keep the button pressed.#       swap34: swap the 3rd and the 4th axis. can be useful for certain joysticks.#   buttonwrap: enable button wrapping at the number of emulated buttons.joysticktype=autotimed=trueautofire=falseswap34=falsebuttonwrap=false[serial]# serial1: set type of device connected to com port.#          Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.#          Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of#          parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq (optional).#          for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).#                           (realport:COM1 realport:ttyS0).#          for modem: listenport (optional).#          for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,#                         transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).#          Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000#          Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.# serial2: see serial1#          Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.# serial3: see serial1#          Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.# serial4: see serial1#          Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.serial1=dummyserial2=dummyserial3=disabledserial4=disabled[dos]#            xms: Enable XMS support.#            ems: Enable EMS support.#            umb: Enable UMB support.# keyboardlayout: Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).xms=trueems=trueumb=truekeyboardlayout=auto[ipx]# ipx: Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.ipx=false[autoexec]# Lines in this section will be run at startup.# You can put your MOUNT lines here.

Adrian Morales

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:34 pm

Wow, thorough post. Doing what you suggested for the .conf file worked, though now, I'm getting the "Daggerfall has detected the error 0" message.
Amber Hubbard

Post » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:42 am

Wow, thorough post. Doing what you suggested for the .conf file worked, though now, I'm getting the "Daggerfall has detected the error 0" message.

Yeah, I've installed the game like three times today, that was from memory, but should be accurate. (I am kinda tired though.)

As for that error, no clue. ? (I can suggest trying my install guide, unless you're sure you installed it in a similar enough fashion to not make a difference.)

Personally, I've spent the last few hours scouring the internet trying to figure out why my spellbook keeps closing as soon as I open it, I can access it from within the stats menu, and from the toolbar menu, but not from the actual cast hotkey. (Which worked fine, broke, I fixed it, and now it's broke again, and won't fix. The other methods aren't nearly as convenient to use as the hotkey.)

Sigh.. Time for me to call it a day, I think. :(

Good luck with getting this running, I'll check back after I get some sleep, see if you've got it working, maybe see if I can't help ya out. :)
SEXY QUEEN

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:30 pm

Yeah, I had troubles myself, so here is the entire procedure. (Sorry, I don't know what tutorial you used, and if it's like the others I've found, it's likely wrong.)

So assuming you have DosBox 0.74, and the free Daggerfall download.

Once inside the DosBox command prompt type the following in order. (Press enter after each one, etc,.)

That should bring the installer.

You need to change the install size to "Huge" and change the install directory to "C:\". (Select the options to start the install, then once it ask you about sound, use the autodetect options.)

While it's installing place the patch "dag213.exe" in your "C:\Games\Daggerfall" directory. (ie, inside the daggerfall folder.)

Once it's all done installing, you should exit DosBox, and restart it. (It can mess up otherwise at this step.)

So back inside DosBox after the restart type these. (Pressing enter after each one.)

It should pop-up a few Y\N prompts, tell it "Y" and that should get the game installed and patched.

After it's all done, you may want to exit DosBox one more time, just to be cautious.

So, now you should be installed, and patched, and ready to play.

Open DosBox again.

That should launch the game. (You can repeat these last 4 steps anytime you wanna play.)

As for configuring DosBox, on your start menu(Windows), look for DosBox, it should have an options sub-folder, click the DosBox 0.74 options link.

Should pop-up notepad, with a bunch of configuration stuff inside it. (At the end, you should be able to add the 4 steps from above to make it automatically launch daggerfall, though, if you use DosBox for other games, doing it manually would be better, that's what I do.)

You can compare my options against the defaults, though, depending on your hardware, some settings may not work as well, or at all for you.

// I believe this setting is required for Daggerfall to run correctly. (It's 16 by default.)
memsize=32

Spoiler

# This is the configurationfile for DOSBox 0.74. (Please use the latest version of DOSBox)# Lines starting with a # are commentlines and are ignored by DOSBox.# They are used to (briefly) document the effect of each option.[sdl]#       fullscreen: Start dosbox directly in fullscreen. (Press ALT-Enter to go back)#       fulldouble: Use double buffering in fullscreen. It can reduce screen flickering, but it can also result in a slow DOSBox.#   fullresolution: What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).#                     Using your monitor's native resolution with aspect=true might give the best results.#                     If you end up with small window on a large screen, try an output different from surface.# windowresolution: Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling.#                     (output=surface does not!)#           output: What video system to use for output.#                   Possible values: surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, ddraw.#         autolock: Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen. (Press CTRL-F10 to unlock)#      sensitivity: Mouse sensitivity.#      waitonerror: Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.#         priority: Priority levels for dosbox. Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.#                     pause is only valid for the second entry.#                   Possible values: lowest, lower, normal, higher, highest, pause.#       mapperfile: File used to load/save the key/event mappings from. Resetmapper only works with the defaul value.#     usescancodes: Avoid usage of symkeys, might not work on all operating systems.fullscreen=falsefulldouble=falsefullresolution=800x600windowresolution=originaloutput=ddrawautolock=truesensitivity=100waitonerror=truepriority=higher,normalmapperfile=mapper-0.74.mapusescancodes=true[dosbox]# language: Select another language file.#  machine: The type of machine tries to emulate.#           Possible values: hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly, svga_s3, svga_et3000, svga_et4000, svga_paradise, vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe.# captures: Directory where things like wave, midi, screenshot get captured.#  memsize: Amount of memory DOSBox has in megabytes.#             This value is best left at its default to avoid problems with some games,#             though few games might require a higher value.#             There is generally no speed advantage when raising this value.language=machine=svga_s3captures=capturememsize=32[render]# frameskip: How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one.#    aspect: Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.#    scaler: Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.#              If 'forced' is appended, then the scaler will be used even if the result might not be desired.#            Possible values: none, normal2x, normal3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, advinterp2x, advinterp3x, hq2x, hq3x, 2xsai, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, tv3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x, scan3x.frameskip=0aspect=truescaler=hq2x[cpu]#      core: CPU Core used in emulation. auto will switch to dynamic if available and appropriate.#            Possible values: auto, dynamic, normal, simple.#   cputype: CPU Type used in emulation. auto is the fastest choice.#            Possible values: auto, 386, 386_slow, 486_slow, pentium_slow, 386_prefetch.#    cycles: Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond.#            Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.#            Cycles can be set in 3 ways:#              'auto'          tries to guess what a game needs.#                              It usually works, but can fail for certain games.#              'fixed #number' will set a fixed amount of cycles. This is what you usually need if 'auto' fails.#                              (Example: fixed 4000).#              'max'           will allocate as much cycles as your computer is able to handle.#            #            Possible values: auto, fixed, max.#   cycleup: Amount of cycles to decrease/increase with keycombo.(CTRL-F11/CTRL-F12)# cycledown: Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.core=autocputype=autocycles=autocycleup=10cycledown=20[mixer]#   nosound: Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.#      rate: Mixer sample rate, setting any device's rate higher than this will probably lower their sound quality.#            Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.# blocksize: Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering but sound will also be more lagged.#            Possible values: 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 512, 256.# prebuffer: How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.nosound=falserate=44100blocksize=1024prebuffer=20[midi]#     mpu401: Type of MPU-401 to emulate.#             Possible values: intelligent, uart, none.# mididevice: Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.#             Possible values: default, win32, alsa, oss, coreaudio, coremidi, none.# midiconfig: Special configuration options for the device driver. This is usually the id of the device you want to use.#               See the README/Manual for more details.mpu401=intelligentmididevice=defaultmidiconfig=[sblaster]#  sbtype: Type of Soundblaster to emulate. gb is Gameblaster.#          Possible values: sb1, sb2, sbpro1, sbpro2, sb16, gb, none.#  sbbase: The IO address of the soundblaster.#          Possible values: 220, 240, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.#     irq: The IRQ number of the soundblaster.#          Possible values: 7, 5, 3, 9, 10, 11, 12.#     dma: The DMA number of the soundblaster.#          Possible values: 1, 5, 0, 3, 6, 7.#    hdma: The High DMA number of the soundblaster.#          Possible values: 1, 5, 0, 3, 6, 7.# sbmixer: Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the DOSBox mixer.# oplmode: Type of OPL emulation. On 'auto' the mode is determined by sblaster type. All OPL modes are Adlib-compatible, except for 'cms'.#          Possible values: auto, cms, opl2, dualopl2, opl3, none.#  oplemu: Provider for the OPL emulation. compat might provide better quality (see oplrate as well).#          Possible values: default, compat, fast.# oplrate: Sample rate of OPL music emulation. Use 49716 for highest quality (set the mixer rate accordingly).#          Possible values: 44100, 49716, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000.sbtype=sb16sbbase=220irq=7dma=1hdma=5sbmixer=trueoplmode=autooplemu=defaultoplrate=44100[gus]#      gus: Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.#  gusrate: Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.#           Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.#  gusbase: The IO base address of the Gravis Ultrasound.#           Possible values: 240, 220, 260, 280, 2a0, 2c0, 2e0, 300.#   gusirq: The IRQ number of the Gravis Ultrasound.#           Possible values: 5, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12.#   gusdma: The DMA channel of the Gravis Ultrasound.#           Possible values: 3, 0, 1, 5, 6, 7.# ultradir: Path to Ultrasound directory. In this directory#           there should be a MIDI directory that contains#           the patch files for GUS playback. Patch sets used#           with Timidity should work fine.gus=falsegusrate=44100gusbase=240gusirq=5gusdma=3ultradir=C:\ULTRASND[speaker]# pcspeaker: Enable PC-Speaker emulation.#    pcrate: Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.#            Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.#     tandy: Enable Tandy Sound System emulation. For 'auto', emulation is present only if machine is set to 'tandy'.#            Possible values: auto, on, off.# tandyrate: Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.#            Possible values: 44100, 48000, 32000, 22050, 16000, 11025, 8000, 49716.#    disney: Enable Disney Sound Source emulation. (Covox Voice Master and Speech Thing compatible).pcspeaker=truepcrate=44100tandy=autotandyrate=44100disney=true[joystick]# joysticktype: Type of joystick to emulate: auto (default), none,#               2axis (supports two joysticks),#               4axis (supports one joystick, first joystick used),#               4axis_2 (supports one joystick, second joystick used),#               fcs (Thrustmaster), ch (CH Flightstick).#               none disables joystick emulation.#               auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s).#               (Remember to reset dosbox's mapperfile if you saved it earlier)#               Possible values: auto, 2axis, 4axis, 4axis_2, fcs, ch, none.#        timed: enable timed intervals for axis. Experiment with this option, if your joystick drifts (away).#     autofire: continuously fires as long as you keep the button pressed.#       swap34: swap the 3rd and the 4th axis. can be useful for certain joysticks.#   buttonwrap: enable button wrapping at the number of emulated buttons.joysticktype=autotimed=trueautofire=falseswap34=falsebuttonwrap=false[serial]# serial1: set type of device connected to com port.#          Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.#          Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of#          parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq (optional).#          for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).#                           (realport:COM1 realport:ttyS0).#          for modem: listenport (optional).#          for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,#                         transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).#          Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000#          Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.# serial2: see serial1#          Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.# serial3: see serial1#          Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.# serial4: see serial1#          Possible values: dummy, disabled, modem, nullmodem, directserial.serial1=dummyserial2=dummyserial3=disabledserial4=disabled[dos]#            xms: Enable XMS support.#            ems: Enable EMS support.#            umb: Enable UMB support.# keyboardlayout: Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).xms=trueems=trueumb=truekeyboardlayout=auto[ipx]# ipx: Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.ipx=false[autoexec]# Lines in this section will be run at startup.# You can put your MOUNT lines here.

Or you could just download Daggerfall straight to your desktop pre-configured, pre-patched and ready to play.

http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN
FoReVeR_Me_N

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Or you could just download Daggerfall straight to your desktop pre-configured, pre-patched and ready to play.

http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

I can't recommend that installer, I had problems with it.

You can make it work, however, it can have various incompatibilities depending on the install options, and those options aren't always fully explained.

DaggerXL, for example, wouldn't work due to one of those options modifying the .exe for DF. (It took several reinstalls to guess which one that was.)

I had a number of other little issues, and resintalled somewhere around five times trying to overcome them, before finally just doing it myself.
A Lo RIkIton'ton

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:57 am

So... Bethesda re-released Daggerfall without a real explanation as to how to run it, and even the experts are a little baffled?
Kara Payne

Post » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:49 pm

So... Bethesda re-released Daggerfall without a real explanation as to how to run it, and even the experts are a little baffled?

They said they wouldn't support the release -- "release" meaning they probably had somebody run it, zip it, and dump it on the site. Many of the error messages it spits out are not well understood and may never have been, possibly even by the original programmers. *shudder* They didn't even bother packaging a regular EULA with it, which probably works out for the better from the standpoint of the community making tools for it.

As for installing and running it, I've never had a problem. I do have a few points to add to the above instructions:

• Windows Vista and 7 don't like programs being installed in C: very much. UAC tends to fight with things being moved there. This is less of a problem in 7, but if I must use the C drive I use something like C:\Users\Aliotroph\games\Daggerfall or I use my other hard drive.
  • Restarting DOSbox shouldn't be necessary. I would put dag213.exe in the folder before starting it in the first place. That way DOSbox won't get confused about anything appearing in the folder (it shouldn't anyway). We weren't all restarting our computers when patching games in the 90s and DOSbox is more reliable than my PC was in 1996.
  • Vile's config settings are mostly good. However, Daggerfall has movement physics issues if the cycles are set higher than approximately 60000 (based on the DOSbox community playing with the numbers).. As a result, my config says cycles=max limit 60000. The movement in-game works better now.
  • If you'd like to play in fullscreen with the correct aspect ratio the fullresolution line should be set to the same as your screen (in my case 1280x1024 or 1680x1050 depending on which monitor I'm using). ALT+ENTER switches between windowed and fullscreen when DOSbox is running.

Oh, and I wish I could say something about the spellbook, but I've never seen the game do that.
CHANONE

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion