Kellogg & Jenny loose ends? - (Spoilers I guess)

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:30 pm

If you don't know the names Kellogg or Jenny then leave now if you don't want it spoiled I guess. (However, its been long enough now I think)

Still here? Okay.

At some point in your play you will get to briefly meet a synth that calls herself Jenny. She says that she can "make it on her own and hopes we meet again under better circumstances", then states she will look for supplies then before heading off.

We never see her again.

Maybe I have just missed her, but it really feels like something is there. Why would Bethesda add such dialogue as that and leave such a loose end like that? If she was meant to be a simple damsel in distress then she would have simply said "Thanks", hand you some caps and leave like every other settler or random joe of no importance you help.

She has got to be a key factor in the future. Surely she will become a main quest key character in future DLC or something.

Next, Kellogg. Or should I say the "numonic impression" of Kellogg.

Seriously. Why would Bethesda add dialogue like that. After that whole mission I was a little bit overwhelmed and to come out and hear Kellogg's voice saying "I knew I should have killed you while I had the chance" seriously made my heart skip a beat. I genuinely thought I was going to have to confront someone I grew to like. To have to possibly kill an innocent man in order to rid the world of this evil or use him as a tool to gain access to the Institute.

My mind was racing with "where is the story going to go!?" ... It didn't go anywhere.

Why put something so intriguing in the game like that only to sweep it into the corner then put a box on top of it?

Questions unanswered and ends not tied up get to me. I wish to find out why they were like that. What was its purpose? At the moment it feels like it currently falls under the current thought process of "woo yeah power armor" Bethesda used, but I want to hope that there will be more. Stories involving these people. Consequence for action.

That's just me though.

Sheeva

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Maybe we'll see Jenny in Far Harbor

Naomi Lastname

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:30 am

My thoughts exactly.

I'm hoping Jenny returns in the Far Harbor DLC that's coming, since it mentions that being a Nick Valentine-generated quest and that it has to do with a colony of synths in Maine that are in hiding. Many of us here are hoping Nick and Jenny meet and maybe, just maybe she's a synth version of Nick's Jenny (the one Eddie Winter killed), and Nick and Jenny can ride off into the sunset together (explaining why you can't romance Nick like you can the other synth companion, Curie).

Kellogg's integration with Nick was another angle I was, personally, hoping Bethesda would consider tackling -- maybe creating a quest to get Nick a synth 3 body upgrade (we did it for Curie, why not Nick???) and at the same time either purging Kellogg completely from him or integrating the two personalities, so Nick the synth can be his own 'person' (which is the source of a lot of his frustrated dialogues to you, you'll note).

Hopefully, Bethesda won't leave these (and other) open-ended possibilities to lay fallow, because IMHO, Fallout 4 has a lot of potential to be expanded through multiple DLC opportunities. I can count at least 15 off-shoot story arcs off the top of my head, working solely with the basic game (a resolution to the Nick-Kellogg issue, a story surrounding Jenny the synth, reuniting MacCready with his son, Strong's Milk of Human Kindness quest, your synth son Shaun - post-main quest what to do with him, setting up television again in the Commonwealth using those theater people and maybe the old Silver Shroud stage, a quest featuring the rest of the Unstoppables characters, delving deeper into the Triggermen and the mafia families, curing all the Ghouls using X-111/Virgil's FEV serum/Cabot House "Mystery Serum", changing over the management of Diamond City, finding out why Maxon is such a fascist hater of synths - there has to be more of a backstory there, setting up the Railroad in its new place at Spectacle Island or integrating them with the Minutemen if you didn't destroy them in the main quest, a quest involving the Atom Cats, a quest involving Virgil, Magnolia's backstory can be made into a quest, etc.). Bethesda could use these DLC as a cash cow, and continue to make the fans of the game happy and feel as if they got their money's worth (rather than, say, investing a whole lot of money on creating Fallout 5 right away, which will probably only use the same, current technology with only a few minor tweaks). Beth just needs to stop pandering to the hardcoe E3/survival-mode crowd and their incessant whining about wanting games that showcase new technologies (they do that primarily so they can crack and mod them, to show off how cool their own programming skills are, and we all know it), rather than improve upon the tech they've already created (which is a strategy that targets people who just want to play the game and enjoy it as is).

Felix Walde

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:59 am

Another great example.

"Hey want to be a cool daddy-o cool cat Atom Cat?"

'Okay... daddy... o'

"Go install this pump part."

'All done.'

"You are now an official Atom Cap now."

'Cool... Now what?'

"I'm a cool cat daddy-o baby Atom Cat cool."

Literally the most disappointing thing ever.

I though there was going to be a cool story and mission where we fight the Gunners.

Shae Munro

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:54 am

If you dont waste the gunners 8675309 dies plain and simple.

But then again who passes up a chance to waste gunners.

Maybe we will see her again?

Avril Louise

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:21 am

I left the surviving Gunners alive after the quest (although I freed Jenny and she was looking around the place when I left) When I re-entered the cell just a minute later, all of them had gone. Maybe Jenny only dies if you leave her in the cell?

Maria Garcia

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:36 pm

1. After freeing Jenny from the Gunners she can be found in the Railroad's Ticonderoga safehouse, apparently being shuffled through the Railroad's synth escapee system.

2. Doctor Amari outright says any sort of impression of Kellogg left on Nick would fade in a little bit of time. Nick saying that in Kellogg's voice was just Bethesda's way of adding a jump scare.

-His son is all the way in the Capital Wasteland, and in safe hands, why would Mccready want his son to come to the dangerous Commonwealth?

-The "milk of human kindness" is nothing but a metaphor for caring for others that Strong idiotically took to be a literal drink he could drink to make himself and the other super mutants stronger then humans. It doesn't actually exist. Whats more is that Strong learns to care for others, specifically you, after you raise his disposition higher. He has literally already found it.

-That implies there is some grater purpose for synth Shaun, there isn't. Synth Shaun exists so you can play fantasy life in the life you never got to have since the real Shaun was taken from you.

-Those "theater people" are RADIO theater people, not live theater people. They have nothing to do with television.

-I suspect Bethesda would want to save the rest of them for The Unstoppables for other games so they can each have their own superhero content.

-There are no other mafia groups outside the Triggermen, and they are led by Skinny Malone, who you interact with as part of the MQ, and work for Marowski, who you can interact with as part of the Diamond City Blues quest.

-Neither X-111 or Lorenzo Cabot's serum can reverse ghoulification. If it could, Edward Deegan, the Cabot's bodyguard, wouldn't still be a ghoul. Also, Virgil's FEV cure only worked on himself, because its was specifically made to work on himself. Ghouls are also not FEV mutants, and thus, would get no benefit from it.

-The management of Diamond City is already taken over by Geneva after McDonough gets removed.

-Maxson hates synths for the reason he states in the game, they are a danger due to being artificially created intelligence. And we know why Maxson would hate such a thing, he was alive and witnessed John Henry Eden's attempts in Fallout 3 to kill basically everyone. The backstory there is Fallout 3.

-The Railroad have no desire to be "integrated" into the Minutemen. They are two separate factions with wholly separate goals. Also, the Railroad safehouse can be in any number of settlements, not just Spectacle Island, and its up to the player to build up that safehouse in-game already.

-We already got quests involving Virgil and the Atom Cats, we dont need to shoehorn into DLC content, especially when they could all be dead.

-Magnolia is a synth with artificial memories. We know this because she is set to drop a synth component when she dies. Her backstory is the same as all other escaped synths... she escaped, found the Railroad, got a mem wipe, and then got fake memories.

There, DLC over.

KiiSsez jdgaf Benzler

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:48 pm

Didn't Ticonderoga get wiped out? And if she was there wouldn't jenny either be killed or captured by the coursers? I mean you were only gone for 1 day technically after being sent to the institute so i don't see how much time was able to pass for her to leave safely.

As far as Kellog's Voice goes in Nick to me I always felt that was just the last thoughts Kellog was thinking of as you administered the final blow.

Which is kinda disappointing because we know he seemed like a decent man with a family but he slowly allowed himself to become a monster, a man his father was like(maybe worse). Kinda makes me pity his character in the game.

Trey Johnson

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm hoping so. I liked Jenny.
maria Dwyer

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:08 pm

I left her in the locked room

SUck MYdIck

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:26 pm

I've said it before.. the games story totally feels like they started in the middle and then didn't know where to go from each direction. Both the beginning and ending are so unsatisfying but that middle bit.. the middle bit is fantastic.

Robyn Lena

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:28 am

I put the abomination down after dealing with the courser.

Joie Perez

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:12 am

Would love a far harbor side quest with Nick dealing with him having both Kellogg and Nicks personalities/memories.

I mean I would be totally happy if Nick turned out to be the main antagonist in FH because of kellogg. Kind of like a split personality with Nick having to deal with whatever atrocities Kellogg commits while in control. At the end you decide to put Nick down or heal him or whatever.

It's not gonna happen. But dang that would be emotional and I would love it. Kellogg was one of the best characters in FO4 imo, sad to see him go.
BRAD MONTGOMERY

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:04 pm

The story falls off a cliff right after you meet Father imo.

Marine x

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:24 pm

This happened to me as well when I left the Gunners alive and set Jenny free. She wasn't murdered by the Gunners. Wonder why.

gemma king

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 pm

It really did.. "Hi mom! it's good to meet you .. now that we've met, go kill people for me!" What was up with all these majorly armed factions needing me to do any killing for them at all?

Blaine

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:16 pm

Same reason why the NCR and Legion "needed" you to do the same in NV.

Its a game, and game's would be boring if factions weren't giving you [censored] to do.

JUan Martinez

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Because he's made a life for himself and had a good friend and possibly lover in the Commonwealth and judging by the BoS dialog the CW is still dangerous. Realistically he should either move his son to the commonwealth or move back to DC after the his son is cured and the MQ is finished.

darnell waddington

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:01 pm

Realistically people age over time, yet you can play the game for 500 years and no one grows up.... its a game bro.

While yes, Mccready would go back to the C.W. after the game is over... the game never ends, so we never see him do it.

Darren

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Exactly! His son is still underage, I believe (correct me if wrong), so you'd think a father would want to get back to his only son to see to his safety. Why can't MacCready send for him through Daisy, at the least? Or better yet, why not DLC that trip with you and MacCready back down to the Capital Wasteland to go get his boy? Might be nice to revisit the old stomping grounds for players.

Luis Reyma

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:57 am

You asked why he would bring his son to the Commonwealth I answered.

Bek Rideout

Return to Fallout 4