I killed Boone with a stimpak

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:12 am

I was over by the Southern Nevada Wind Farm, fighting Cazadors, and Boone took some damage. He started grunting so I figured I would give him a stimpak (first time I have done this). His health was something like 170 of 265, but when I gave him the stimpak it went down to -114, and then he died.

Luckily I save pretty often, so it's not a big problem, but definitely something to watch out for. Has anyone else had this happen to a follower, or Boone specifically?

I couldn't find a bug-reporting section of the forum, but if this is the wrong place to post, please let me know.

KrazySwede
Cameron Wood

Post » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:40 pm

Cazador poison and stimpacks seems to be bugged.
Once a companion get's hit and you try to heal them with a stimpack their health goes down to -1.
Which is strange, because when we, the players, get stung by a cazador and uses a stimpack our health don't go down, it goes up, fighting the poison.

Btw, ?ru svensk?
Bethany Short

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:54 am

Once a companion get's hit and you try to heal them with a stimpack their health goes down to -1.
Which is strange, because when we, the players, get stung by a cazador and uses a stimpack our health don't go down, it goes up, fighting the poison.

It seems to happen to me with Giant Radscorpions and bark scorpion as well as Cazador poison.
Harinder Ghag

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:32 am

Maybe stimpacks and cazador poison doesn't go together, like an allergic reaction or alcohol + pills :P

Btw, ?ru svensk?

Klart han ?r, han f?r inte kalla sig f?r swede annars! x)
Louise Dennis

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:14 am

Maybe stimpacks and cazador poison doesn't go together, like an allergic reaction or alcohol + pills :P

Klart han ?r, han f?r inte kalla sig f?r swede annars! x)

Then why doesn't it affect the players the same way?

Han f?rs?ker s?kert infiltrera oss. :ninja:
Danial Zachery

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:00 am

Then why doesn't it affect the players the same way?

Han f?rs?ker s?kert infiltrera oss. :ninja:

Because we're just that awesome? :)

Yeah, those pesky swedes.......... wait
Charlotte Henderson

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:45 am

Btw, ?ru svensk? :nono:

They don't just seem to be, they are :hehe:

Giving the stimpak causes the entire poison load to be dumped at once. IIRC from reading the Wiki Notes, you can switch off hardcoe and give the companion stims (if necessary. In casual they should recover their health after combat stops.) Then just go back to hardcoe.

of course on the PC you can get them back with Console Commands.
REVLUTIN

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:31 am

I think it's a result of the way stimpaks work with companions.

Even in hardcoe mode, stimpaks do instant healing - so maybe when a stimpak is applied, the game forcibly makes all health calculations "finish" by applying what it has left to do to the character?
louise tagg

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:15 am

Wow that's a lot of replies in such a short time, thanks for all the input :). I guess I'll load up a past save and tell him to hold back while I take them out.
I was totally unprepared for the Cazadors. I marched in there with a caravan shotgun and an NCR recon guy as backup, but he got owned by a couple of wasps on steroids :nope: . I loaded up again, and just checked his health after our little engagement, about 150, then closed his companion wheel, opened it back up and his health was down to 24 :| . Those advlt Cazadors are no joke lol.

Btw, ?ru svensk?

Ja, fr?n G?teborg men bor i USA nu :).
Karen anwyn Green

Post » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:17 pm

I think it's intentional. The health you added with the stim wasn't enough for the poison, and the poison still killed the companion.
Thomas LEON

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:35 pm

I think it's intentional. The health you added with the stim wasn't enough for the poison, and the poison still killed the companion.

Then why don't we die?
sharon

Post » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:28 pm

Instantly? I think not.

Besides, I spam stimpaks when I get poisoned and it all works out in the end.
Flash

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:34 am

I wasn't on hardcoe and after a battle with Cazadors, it was clear Boone was hurt. His health was low so I gave him a Stimpak and he passed out. I was horrified but luckily, he got up again after a few seconds. It happened with another companion too. I'd see the health go in the wrong direction after medicating. I'm not giving Stimpaks anymore for poison but I think it's safe to put Stimpaks in their inventory so they can self-medicate. Unless someone knows different on that? It suggests that in the game guide but I don't know if patch 1.2 has changed something though.
butterfly

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:52 am

Then why don't we die?

I don't know, the only times I have observed this was after they were stung several times. Plus, I almost always have antivenom on me and usually use the wing cripple technique, so I guess I wouldn't know how fast it works.
Bee Baby

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:02 am

I don't know, the only times I have observed this was after they were stung several times. Plus, I almost always have antivenom on me and usually use the wing cripple technique, so I guess I wouldn't know how fast it works.

I've seen my companions be stung "once" by a young cazador and quickly gave him/her a stimpack and they still died.
If the poison is meant to be like this then we, the players, should die as well unless we use an anti-venom.
So I call bug or handhold game design.
Vera Maslar

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:43 am

Bug. If you watch the companions health it will go from a positive number to some huge negative value. I recall trying to heal boone when he had something like 65 health left and when i manually made him use a stimpack he went to like -250.

Doesn't make any sense.
Sun of Sammy

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:11 am

That's what I thought. Because when my Boone got poisoned by Cazadors and I gave him a stimpack he died. The next time it happened I gave him more than one stimpack and he still died. This was NOT in hardcoe mode.
Facebook me

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:27 am

I havent had this happen before, BUT I have gave him a stimpack, with poisining, and his health went PAST the regualer amount and he died for some reason. I call bug on this one. Plus, when I got rex and he got poisined, I gave him a stim and the game froze.
Christine Pane

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:30 am

Them needles are sharp, yo.
willow

Post » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:56 am

There is no companion dying in Casual Mode. It's bugged when that's happening. Good idea to report it in the Problems forums to help another patch along.
Brandon Wilson

Return to Fallout: New Vegas