Knowledge of Solstheim

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Okay, just started playing Morrowind GoTY after a about 6 months away. Every NPC as "Solstheim" as a topic. Even slaves, deep in dark caves, who can only 1) Say their name and 2) Ask to be set free, can chat openly about this mysterious frozen island. I want MAYBE half of all Nords in the game, maybe 75% of legion soldiers (because of Frostmoth) and some percentages of all peoples who either offer transportation by boat or live on the coast near to Solstheim to know about it.

Any current mods that address this, or Bloodmoon fans who'd like the expansion to be more mysterious and intriguing? Maybe have one or two characters who can say more than "An island up north. I hear it's a terrible place." Like maybe about the Skaal or wolves or something? Louis Beauchamp is a good example of someone on Mainland Morrowind with a Solstheim connection.
Stephanie Nieves

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:23 am

Taken from my home in black marsh, I labored for years in a mine. Eventually the mine was raided by thieves and brigands, who captured the slaves and used the mine as a base of operations for their crimes. For many years I was chained by these fiends... until one day. A lone warrior clad in daedric armor glistening with hundreds of enchantments slaughtered the criminals and barged up to me. My heart swelled with thoughts of freedom after all these long years until he finally addressed me.

"SOLSTHEIM"

I was unsure how he expected me to respond, so I informed him that it was a cold island up north. He then cast divine intervention, leaving me and my comrades chained in the cave.
Tasha Clifford

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:53 am

Taken from my home in black marsh, I labored for years in a mine. Eventually the mine was raided by thieves and brigands, who captured the slaves and used the mine as a base of operations for their crimes. For many years I was chained by these fiends... until one day. A lone warrior clad in daedric armor glistening with hundreds of enchantments slaughtered the criminals and barged up to me. My heart swelled with thoughts of freedom after all these long years until he finally addressed me.

"SOLSTHEIM"

I was unsure how he expected me to respond, so I informed him that it was a cold island up north. He then cast divine intervention, leaving me in my comrades chained in the cave.

Ha ha oh wow I lol'd. nice one :goodjob:
Ashley Tamen

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:13 pm

Snip.

Your powers of narrative are astounding.
Penny Courture

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:33 am

"SOLSTHEIM"

I was unsure how he expected me to respond, so I informed him that it was a cold island up north. He then cast divine intervention, leaving me in my comrades chained in the cave.

I tried to make this my sig, but too many words... :(
Lizzie

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:01 pm

This shouldn't be hard to fix--maybe not exactly the way you suggested, but a little dialogue filtering would cut way down on the number of people who have that topic. I'm surprised the Morrowind Patch Project didn't address this.
Anthony Rand

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:25 am

Okay, just started playing Morrowind GoTY after a about 6 months away. Every NPC as "Solstheim" as a topic. Even slaves, deep in dark caves, who can only 1) Say their name and 2) Ask to be set free, can chat openly about this mysterious frozen island. I want MAYBE half of all Nords in the game, maybe 75% of legion soldiers (because of Frostmoth) and some percentages of all peoples who either offer transportation by boat or live on the coast near to Solstheim to know about it.

Any current mods that address this, or Bloodmoon fans who'd like the expansion to be more mysterious and intriguing? Maybe have one or two characters who can say more than "An island up north. I hear it's a terrible place." Like maybe about the Skaal or wolves or something? Louis Beauchamp is a good example of someone on Mainland Morrowind with a Solstheim connection.

This shouldn't be hard to fix--maybe not exactly the way you suggested, but a little dialogue filtering would cut way down on the number of people who have that topic. I'm surprised the Morrowind Patch Project didn't address this.

Morrowind Patch Project v1.6.4 or better does indeed fix this - from the 'Bug Fixes.txt':
* generic Solsteim (sic) topics are now 'no lore'
MPP is the next progression of the Unofficial Morrowind Patch (UMP 1.6.3b).

An even better fix which is compatible with and can load after MPP: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=2119 by SeekerVI
Here's a quote posted by Gluby (lead modder for MPP) from the 'Solstheim Undialog' download page comments:
The UMP v1.6.3b also addresses this problem, but only by making them disappear once the player has gone to Solstheim and adding "Not Local Nolore = 0" checks on three of the Solstheim dialogues. In other words, all general NPCs everywhere still talk about Solstheim until the player has gone there.

SeekerVI's fix smooths the Solstheim dialogues into the game in a more immersive and logical way, and is thus still a nice add-on on top of Thepal's patch.

(FYI: MPP v1.6.4 incorporates that same fix from UMP v1.6.3b)

'Solstheim Undialog' should pretty much provide what you're looking for Keltic Viking. B)
Hot

Return to III - Morrowind