Lever-action rifles in Far Harbour and solid slug weaponary

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:05 pm

Redundant is the correct word.

That's not to say I have an issue with new weapons scaling to pre existing powerful ones. The broadsider is an example of an uneeded but fun weapon.
Emma Copeland

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:57 pm

Because they can just as easily pop your head like a watermelon? Gauss rifles aren't even reality, the whole basis of magnetically properelled weapons is yet to be showcased beyond few minor prototypes.

Besides, like I said in the opening, im tired of energy weapons being always the strongest. For sake of diversity, a balistic weapon like an elephant gun or something else guys above me mentioned would be a nice addition.

Talitha Kukk

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Because it's a game, and the guns are already unrealistic. People are always complaining that the .50 Sniper Rifle is underwhelming; even I think it's a little weird that the .44 Revolver does more damage than a .50 caliber weapon.

Pump-Action shotguns are just so much fun, though. I'd love if they gave us one where we could mod the receiver to fire two shells at once, like the alternate fire mode for Half-Life's shotgun.

Luis Longoria

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Agree and disagree. I think a variety of weapons, even if just cosmeticly different than another weapon (and using same caliber) is fine. You see how much people hate the Assault Rifle. If another .556 assault rifle like the chinese one was introduced it would appease many. I'm excited for the innevitable giant weapon pack modders will add of tons of realistic modern weapons. I just like having the variations aesthetically. Not much you can "add" for ballistic weapons outside of caliber.

emma sweeney

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:48 pm

New Vegas allready had variation when it comes to bullets, so i'm kinda disappointed that FO4 didn't have those too. The game is currently too easy, no matter what difficulty. So having the AI use hollow point rounds and armor penetrating rounds is a no brainer. Especially when everyone Lvl.50-100+ is using way too high defence rating armor (ballistic weave). The problem i have with this game, is that it's clearly made for people with ridiculous power fantasies, and it loses every bit of challenge after about lvl.50-->.

In my opinion, it's about time Bethesda removes their focus of making the players invincible, and start making the enemies to actually be able to kill you.

Adriana Lenzo

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:43 pm

You're kidding right? I was invincible mid level cap in NV. The differen't bullet variations did nothing from an enemy perspective. While it was a nice feature I would never hold it as essential. It's a players choice to use certain perks, armor and weapons. It's not like Bethesda is doing anything for you when leveling or getting gear. You want more of a challange? Impose it yourself

Julia Schwalbe

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:43 am

Where did i state those had actually any effect on difficulty? I just stated NV had those. I allready have, ditched power armors at around lvl.70+, and threw the ballistic weave clohing to the carbage bin at around lvl.90+. Still, now at lvl.104 it's too damn easy no matter what. It makes the game boring as hell to play.

What i intended to say, is for Bethesda to include those previously mentioned variations to Fallout 4, and make them have a actual purpose. Armor penetrating rounds vs ballistic weave sounds much more interesting. If there is no sense of danger anywhere in the game, then what we have left is another building game with Fallout theme.

Usually i don't do "rants" when it comes to video games, but i've always enjoyed Fallout games to a extent (NV) and that's why i felt disappointed/betrayed when breezing trough the game on so called survival difficulty without a sweat. At this rate, we don't even have to play Fallout 5 ourselves, because it plays itself for us.

Rob Davidson

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:27 pm

I play on Very Hard. I've been one hit killed on at least 3 different occasions. That's with BW Army Fatigues and BW Newsboy Cap as well as my regular armor. I don't think enemies need special bullets, thanks.

EDIT: I'm currently lv. 90 and I'm not accounting for mini-nukes in number of times I've been one hit killed.

EDIT II: The killers were Legendary each time and using their Legendary weapons. One was an instigating gauss rifle.
Kristina Campbell

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:04 pm

Playing the new survival mode especially on Far Harbour could prove interesting. In any case, I just want more end-game weapons variety, and I don think its unreasonable to want to have a beast of an old fashioned gun while also retaining the damage. Sure roleplaying is making sacrifices but i dont wanna end up being forced to use energy weapons later on.

Nomee

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:47 pm

"The game is currently too easy, no matter what difficulty. So having the AI use hollow point rounds and armor penetrating rounds is a no brainer." That's where you stated it....

Maybe it's time to start a new character? I haven't had any of my playthroughs use PA or BW at all so I guess I just don't understand this sentiment. I feel like at level 104 you SHOULD be overpowered.

Margarita Diaz

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:17 pm

No, one should never be overpowered in my opinion. That is the point, where there is absolutely zero reason to play the game anymore. Yes, i did point out NV had variation when it comes to bullets, but i didn't say it had any substantial effect on anything. That is the part you made up. I just introduced an idea, that maybe those should be included and given a purpose.

Flutterby

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:59 am

You know, there is an overpowered thread currently going too ya know.

I'd kinda like to get back to talking about guns.
neil slattery

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:07 pm

"Over powered" is an opinion. That's why we have difficulty setting and perks to customize gameplay as you see fit.
R.I.P

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:24 am

I really can't think of any game with RPG elements that I didn't at one point feel overpowered. You level, you get stronger, and at one point you're stronger than anything else. Bullet variations only made you MORE powerful.

But yeah back to actual weapons I'm all for new style of weapons. Be assured that mods will add a TON of older and more modern (our reality) weapons to the game. Really that's what I'm excited for the most. I think with the much more natural feel to Far Harbour, we're going to get more traditional weapons. Obviously a robot DLC was bound to have energy weapons.

Jason White

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Hey, they did it in FONV. The Plasma Rifle STILL compares unfavorably to the cowboy repeater even after they tried to buff the plasma rifle.

Ellie English

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Exactly the reason for my little rant. Because the existing difficulty levels don't make it difficult. But yeah, just had to "get this out of my system" so to speak. Back to topic, yeah a wider variety of weapons is most welcome imo. Just hoping Betheda gives us a little more variety in ammo too for both, the player and AI :)

michael danso

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:18 am

So can .45 pistol or shotgun.

Neither is power armor. Yet it is stronger then leather jacket in game. Fallout follows simple logic, that "futuristic" weapons will be more powerful then classic ones in most cases simply because it does not make sense to introduce new technology unless it offers advantage over existing one. Thus energy weapons are stronger then ballistic ones (in general).

Gauss Rifle is not energy weapon, neither is Rocket Launcher, Fat Man or Minigun. Progression of weapons in Fallouts was always Small Guns => Energy and Big Guns. Exception was New Vegas which screwed whole weapon balance because developers were unable to write single line in to description on a character creation screen.

Avril Louise

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:36 pm

I am not against variation, even if only aesthetic. What I am trying to say is that these variations takes developers time and resources, resources which they will then not spend on other things because unlike moders, their resources are limited. Moder can work on his mod ad infinitum, or more exactly to the physical limits of his life. Developer can't. Therefore they tend to design weapons in their games in a such way, that they are somehow unique. Take some some games which simulate realistic weapons. Let say there is Glock pistol and Beretta pistol. They are nearly identical in performance. They both use the same cartridge. Yet Glock in game would for example cost less action points to fire but have less damage. Is that realistic? No it isn't, they should have exactly same stats.

So yes, I agree that "not much you can "add" for ballistic weapons outside of caliber". Which is exactly why I don't think Bethesda will add any. At last not "classic" ones. There may be something exotic perhaps. Nor would I want them to because I rather have their limited resources spend on something improving game more significantly. Aesthetic variety is what moders can -and will do.

Of course there is still chance that there will be some "cowboy" themed DLC, where lever action rifle would make sense to be included from thematic point of gameplay ;)

Strawberry

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:25 am

I hear this argument over and over and it simply is not true. First of all there is realism (or un-realism) and there is representation of reality. Armour piercing receiver doesn't make any sense if you take it literary. However it represents armor piercing ammo, which is realistic.

Yes, there are some unrealistic things in Fallout but humans still on average have two legs and arms and shotguns have barrel, stock, trigger and fire shotgun shells, not dead ghoul heads. For this reason Gauss Rifle does more damage then .50 cal.

.44 is quit powerful pistol caliber and is designed for large wounding effect. This comes at a expense of range and penetration. There are rifle applications of this round which are used to hunt all sorts of game, including high one. .50 BMG is exact opposite, it's armor piercing round with excellent range. That comes at the expense of wounding potential. Therefore at short distances and against unprotected targets of average size, .44 would probably do larger wounds then .50. Inside simplified Fallout 4 damage and damage resistance (that is armor) modeling, .44 is represented fairly realistically. What is stretched much more is .45 cal.

If battle rifle would be using .308, which would be much more realistic then .45, then I would see some sense in making lever action rifle to give .45 some range (other then pipe revolver rifle). It could have .44 as ultimate damage receiver modification and shotgun receiver to mod it in to lever action shotgun just for sheer fun.

But as current weapon balance stands, I really don't see any sensible niche such weapon could fill, other then cosmetic variety or some story themed sense (meaning some themed DLC).

Soku Nyorah

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:53 am

Exactly. And NV had the worst representation of weapons in all Fallouts to date. They needed about 4 or 5 patches just to make energy weapons playable because even they found their own concept of weapons going against any common sense. And their excuse for that mess was outright ridiculous. NV is example how to not design weapons in Fallout.

Josh Dagreat

Previous

Return to Fallout 4