List of errors in Fallout4.esm

Post » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:45 pm

http://hastebin.com/raw/roqiqiyexa

The most worrisome errors (and "warnings") are the references to missing quest stages and aliases, which suggest some dialogue and scenes will not trigger, and some NPCs will not show up.

GLOW...

Post » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:58 pm

Things like that could just be reference to things that were deleted and not cleaned. Fairly common in Skyrim modding.
Darrell Fawcett

Post » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:25 pm

All of the missing quest alias and quest stage warnings reported by xEdit are definitely errors. I've been going through one-by-one, verifying, and creating fixes where I'm willing to bother.

Now, many of these errors are unused properties or associated with cut content, but there are a ton of real issues that prevent dialogue from showing, scenes from playing, and NPCs from appearing.
Red Sauce

Post » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:44 pm

Sure that could be the case. I'd wager a high percentage are nothing to worry about though :)
Haley Merkley

Post » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:35 pm

No, I'm not suggesting a possibility; I'm stating a fact based on firsthand observation and experimentation.

Here are a few easy examples:

• When you rescue a particular NPC, Diamond City Security are supposed to remark on the rescue, but the condition on that piece of dialogue checks the stage of a NULL quest, so you'll never experience that dialogue.

• When you steal from anyone in Diamond City, Diamond City Security are supposed to remark on your past theft, but the condition on that piece of dialogue checks the amount of nonviolent crime gold you've incurred with a NULL faction.

• When you encounter a shopkeeper NPC for the first time, that NPC has a line that will never been spoken because the conditions check a nonexistent stage on a NULL quest.

There are more, and more complex, issues that either require more investigation or access to Bethesda's quest design documents. Some quests are simply broken.

There is a lot of content that you'll never experience until these bugs are fixed.

Erika Ellsworth

Post » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:15 pm

Could it be your examples aren't bugs? NULL refs are caused by action, they don't usually just happen. So maybe what you've found is the prelude to Cutting Room Floor 2 ;)
Kayla Keizer

Return to Fallout 4