Loading Saves Problem!

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 7:53 am

Ok i have been playing for a while now and for some reason the game wont load my last 4 saves i have, i have to start my game with a save i did a long time ago then when the game has started i go in to the game menu and from there it's working to load my last 4 saves??

What's up with this!
Symone Velez

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 7:37 am

Won't load at all? comes up black? CTD?
Not sure what you mean.
Bird

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 9:50 pm

There are a few things I noticed as I have been messing around with the ini files a little, and have played enough to manage to get a save over 10MB in size...

1. If you change too much in the ini files your last save won't load - it's not corrupt, just locks up at the point it would normally transition from loading screen to game - typical changes that screw it up are changing shadow values too high or too low, uGrids etc...

2. I was playing with either the 4GB wrapper, or the original unencrypted EXE with 4GB patch applied, logout, shut-down. Then relaunch the game using the 4GB version, saves won't load. Had to open the game using the normal launcher, quit, then launch the non-CTDing exe as normal. Save then loads. This is repeatable for me with a save over 10MB. Saves <10MB work fine.

3. Changing some ini values can also make it CTD as soon as the old save loads. Haven't worked out which ones as it may be a combination of changes.
laila hassan

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 pm

@ MrFromage

Aha...I recently changed the uGridsToLoad=5 to uGridsToLoad=7, maybe it's that...will change it back and see what happens.
Emma Parkinson

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 9:49 pm

@ MrFromage

Aha...I recently changed the uGridsToLoad=5 to uGridsToLoad=7, maybe it's that...will change it back and see what happens.
Add "bPreemptivelyUnloadCells=1" to the ini, without the quotes of course, this might allow you to load those saves again, uGrids is a real touchy beast.
Liv Staff

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 4:28 am

OK, yea i noticed that if i change back to uGridsToLoad=5 the game crashes back to desktop....what have i done!

Will try what yorecommendeded.
rheanna bruining

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 7:48 am

No that did not work ether tried both uGridsToLoad=5 and uGridsToLoad=7, but i remember that i did a backup of my saves just before i changed uGridsToLoad...so i start over from there (it's just a couple of play hours i miss, at least the saves are working).
Madeleine Rose Walsh

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 4:17 am

I noticed that keeping the amount of save games in your SAVES folder low vastly improves the Save/load screen performance. not sure why this is the case, but for me it seems to help so far. I tend to save a lot during game play. I move my old saves out into another folder periodically. worth a shot anyways.
u gone see

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 5:22 pm

No that did not work ether tried both uGridsToLoad=5 and uGridsToLoad=7, but i remember that i did a backup of my saves just before i changed uGridsToLoad...so i start over from there (it's just a couple of play hours i miss, at least the saves are working).

Make sure you have also changed the other related values int he Skyrim.ini file

i.e. for 7 it will be -

uExterior Cell Buffer=64uGridsToLoad=7iPreloadSizeLimit=51380224
Cesar Gomez

Post » Mon May 21, 2012 11:00 pm

You could also try to start a new game and then load your savegame (as soon as you can enter the main menu).

This is helping me to get my saves loaded most of the time since they are mostly giving me CTDs when loaded directly. But I'm not complaining, I guess that's the price to pay for fiddling around with ini-files, mods and 3rd-party tools... ;-)
aisha jamil

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 5:40 am

Well i rather play with uGridsToLoad=5 and be sure to not get any more trouble, i have no problem when it comes to mods mainly because i almost only use mods that enhances the visual look of the game...i only have 4 .esp's and those changes only....

Zoom further with Eagle Eye perk
Longer sprinting
Realistic Ragdoll
Move speed fix
Joanne

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 4:29 am

Found some info how to revert back from uGridsToLoad=7 to uGridsToLoad=5.
(tried it out and it works)

Once you save the game it will only load with a uGridsToLoad value equivalent or greater then the value used when saving. However you can circumvent this problem by using the in-game command console, here is a quick guide supplied by kieranh7 (NOTE: You may want to backup your SkyrimPrefs.ini, Skyrim.ini and Skyrim ?Saves? folder before proceeding):

1. Right click on Skyrim.ini in My Documents\My Games\Skyrim and uncheck 'Read Only' in the file's properties.
2. Load your last save game.
3. Press tilde ~ on your keyboard, most commonly placed directly to the left of '1.'
4. In the now-visible in-game console type setini "ugridstoload:general" 5 and hit return.
6. Type saveini and hit return.
8. Type refreshini and hit return.
10. Close the console using tilde.
11. Create a new save game.
12. Exit Skyrim.
13. Delete uGridsToLoad from Skyrim.ini or set the desired value.
noa zarfati

Return to V - Skyrim