Looking for good roleplay ideas for a new character.

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:07 pm

I started playing Oblivion in early 2007 after my friend invited me over to play it and as many of you may know, the rest is history.

I've put thousands of hours into this game. Both on the 360 and PC. I know it backwards and forwards in basically every way possible in terms of quests and gameplay.

So basically the reason I joined these forums and started this thread is to pick your brains for new ideas on how to enjoy this amazing game. Because everytime I start a new character, I end up getting bored within a couple of days.

Its not that I am tired of the game, I still get the urge to play even to this day. Its just that I dont have a very good idea on how I should play my character without becoming bored.

So, im looking for good roleplay ideas, character ideas, etc. Feel free to offer any Oblivion advice you can think of!
Barbequtie

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:13 pm

Have you played the game with any mods on the PC. If not it might be a great time to add a few mods to Oblivion.

http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/?

As for roll play it is hard to suggest anything since I let the character decide who they want to be and chip away the parts that is not the character.

It does sound to me that you are bored of the game. Maybe it is a good time to take an extended break of the game and come back.

lolli

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Do you actually start a new character, or find yourself playing the same one, because you habitually make the same choices?

You may have to gimp yourself, by not permitting your new character to do something you always do, such as not joining the Mages Guild, so you can't enchant (without using Sigil Stones) or make spells. Whatever your every-time thing is, don't do it!

Edit: and make sure your RP story has a reason for the restriction. E.g. my girl can't use a bow, because her boobs are too big, and they get in the way.

JUDY FIGHTS

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:18 pm

I only play the PC version now. I need to be able to mod and tweak things for roleplaying purposes. I actually did take a break from Oblivion. I have the urge to play, just not the right character build yet.
Queen of Spades

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:41 pm

I do tend to male the same kinds of characters everytime I play. Knights, rangers, rogues...funny thing is I hardly ever play the Mages guild in Oblivion due to my characters shunning magic for the most part.

I may have to explore the possibilty of making a full on mage or hybrid mage character that is inspired to join the Arcane University.
Sxc-Mary

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:48 pm

Only restrict the character to the Mages Guild and maybe only do quests that a mage would do. You might want to look at the Nexus for any mods that deal with mages. Maybe you can find an Armor that fits the character and put it into the roll play as a family heirloom or maybe as a quest to regain it since it was stolen.

Brooks Hardison

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:58 pm

You should try playing a full mage. No weapons or armor, just magic. Have you ever finished the Mages Guild questline?

Sabrina Steige

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:24 pm

I have finished the guild multiple times. But only when I was first playing. That was when I was a completionist and liked to finish everything, even with a warrior/thief. I dont remember playing it as a full on mage.

I think I may try adding a staves mod and be a staff wielding mage with no armour. I also have a balanced magic and high damage mod in all of my games to make surviving more of a challenge.

I also tend to prefer dead is dead characters as well.
Chris Jones

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Maybe seeing about getting a Unique staff and maybe have it as a lost heirloom and your quest is to find it and recover it. Maybe the character has been shamed or lost family honor and recovering that staff will go a long way to regain the family honor.

Sheila Reyes

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:52 am

A few tricks you can play on yourself to break out of a rut:

Use skills you have never used, or a set of skills you have never used in combination before. If you play mages, make a warrior. Don't let your character use any of the mage skills your characters usually use. It can feel a bit like trying to write with your off-hand sometimes: awkward and klutzy and all wrong, but it can be useful in breaking habits and letting you experience things in new ways.

Choose a fictional character you know well and play as that character. Try to stay in character. Take only those actions that your fictional character would take. This works with real-life people too. If you know somebody in real life inside and out, take them as a model. Play as your best friend, one of your parents, a brother or sister, anybody. The more intimately you know this person the easier it will be to stay in character.

Use quest mods. Sometimes doing brand-new quests can kindle your interest and keep you playing a character.

Set your own goals. Accumulate one million Septims. Break into every interior in the game without getting caught. Collect all of one thing in the game: tankards, shoes, anything that strikes your fancy. One of my characters collected skulls. Finding all of the skulls in the game was a kind of miniature home-made "main quest" for that bizarre character.

Keep a journal. Writing down your character's activities can turn a game into a narrative. You may find you become more personally involved in the character's journey if you have a written record that you can refer to and which you add to on a regular basis. Sometimes, when we live in the moment, we lose sight of where we have been and where we are going and the experience can begin to seem meaningless and we lose interest.

Related to the above: post your character's adventures in the http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1595472-character-updates-18/ thread here. Take screenshots and post your screenshots in the http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1606364-oblivion-screenshot-thread-25/ Getting feedback on your character from other people may help maintain your interest in that character.

Finally, here are a couple of older threads with some neat ideas that might help you out:

http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1115805-completely-random-character/ by gpstr

http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1327345-pretend-mods-for-vanilla-games/ by Renee Gade III

Good luck!
Katie Samuel

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Marcus Jordan

Return to IV - Oblivion