Lore around Hoag Stormcloak

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:22 am

Hello everybody,

first of all, I would like to apologize if I make some mistakes in my english (I'm french).

Don't esitate to ask me if you don't understand what I want to say !

So, my question is about Hoag Stormcloak, the father of Ulfric Stormcloak.

What the wiki is saying about him : (my source is "the great library of Tamriel", a french website which is very complete and reliable)

Article about the Markarth Incident:

"In 4E174, while the Empire was beset by the Aldmeri Dominion in the Great War, the native Breton people of the Reach, called the Reachmen, took this opportunity to seize control of Markarth.

This was only possible as the Imperial legionnaires stationed in Markarth were recalled to fight, leaving the city very vulnerable."

Article about Ulfric Stormcloak:

"In 4E174, Ulfric's father died after the seizure of Markarth by the Reachmen.

The only way for Ulfric to pay tribute to his father was a letter clandestinely sent from his prison" (Ulfric was jailed by the Aldmeri Dominion during the Great War)

So, these are the only two major informations that I can find about Hoag Stormcloak about the circumstances of his death.

I would like to know how he die and what he was doing in Markarth while he was the Jarl of Windhelm.

If anyone has any other informations than the two enunciated higher, please answer me !
Facebook me

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:35 am

The page at UESP on http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Ulfric_Stormcloak indicates that his father was also known as "The Bear of Eastmarch." Not sure if that is a title specific to him or just another title for the Jarl of Eastmarch though.

Alexandra Ryan

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:47 am

While Ulfric was a prisoner of the Aldmeri Dominion previously, I believe he was a prisoner of the Empire for breaking the White-Gold Concordat during or after the Markarth Incident (which may have been a Thalmor setup) when his father died and Ulfric had to smuggle a letter out of prison.
Roberto Gaeta

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:24 am

Got any source on Ulfric's father's first name being Hoag? You might be thinking of Hoag Merkiller.
Eric Hayes

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:50 am

"Scourge of the Grey Quarter" - an in-game book, names him. Check the references on the UESP wiki page linked above.

Also Ulfric's dialog in the game "My father, the great Bear of Eastmarch, died during my imprisonment after the Markarth Incident. I, his only son, forced to deliver his eulogy via a letter I had smuggled out of prison. Such is the love of Titus Mede for his subjects." indicates that his father died after the Markarth recapture. Hoag was presumably in Windhelm the whole time, and never set foot in Markarth.

Ulfric was the one who retook Markarth from the Reachmen. He was (again) imprisoned after that, and the earlier imprisonment during the Great War was the subject of the Thalmor dossier on him. It looks likely that the Thalmor had him the first time, and the Empire the second.

Phillip Hamilton

Post » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:52 pm

ok, so according to you the death of Hoag Stormcloak has nothing to do with the reachmen uprising or the Markarth Incident.

Thanks for this useful precision !

Any idea of how he died ?

Or the precise date when he died ?
Spooky Angel

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion