Lyons' Pride

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:13 am

Sarah's (un)timely death isn't that much of a shock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyonesse

Then rose the King and moved his host by night
And ever pushed Sir Mordred, league by league,
Back to the sunset bound of Lyonesse—
A land of old upheaven from the abyss
By fire, to sink into the abyss again;
Where fragments of forgotten peoples dwelt,
And the long mountains ended in a coast
Of ever-shifting sand, and far away
The phantom circle of a moaning sea.

~Alfred, Lord Tennyson

In sea-cold Lyonesse,
When the Sabbath eve shafts down
On the roofs, walls, belfries
Of the foundered town,
The Nereids pluck their lyres
Where the green translucency beats,
And with motionless eyes at gaze
Make ministrely in the streets./
And the ocean water stirs
In salt-worn casemant and porch
Plies the blunt-nosed fish
With fire in his skull for torch.
And the ringing wires resound;
And the unearthly lovely weep,
In lament of the music they make
In the sullen courts of sleep:
Whose marble flowers bloom for aye:
And—lapped by the moon-guiled tide—
Mock their carver with heart of stone,
Caged in his stone-ribbed side.

~ Walter de la Mare

phillip crookes

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:01 am

There they stood, ranged along the hill-sides, met
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.
Anthony Rand

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:11 am

Beans, beans

They're good for your heart

The more you eat, the more you...

Oh, wait no. That's not right.

SHAWNNA-KAY

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:03 am

I agree. Anything but a cookie cutter King Arthur tale would have been more interesting, and the best way to "get to know" a character in one of these games is to have them as a companion and walk about with em for awhile.

Lol. That about sums up any "tragedy" in fo 4. Fitting for Bean town, the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot.

And for AP of course it isn't a shock, they needed to be as unoriginal as possible and have a boy king, and the only way that was going to work is if Sara Lyons was out of the way. I don't think it is "shocking", I think it is stupid. And terrible, terrible, terrible. Yep, I channeled Charles Barkley today.

Charles Mckinna

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:53 pm

It's not Charles Barkley unless you spell it terruhbel. His pronunciation, not so much.

As much as I don't like the Eastern BoS from 3 and as much as I prefer them now...

Seeing Sarah Lyons as a Bodicea would have been fun.

Kira! :)))

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:26 pm

It is kind of uncerimoniuos ...Arthur seems like a hastily put together "super character"...almost kinda destiny chosen due to his lineage...not crazy about that but oh well
e.Double

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:34 pm

I think Fallout 4 did an excellent job of establishing he's a paper tiger, honestly.

Charisma 10 but not much else going for him.

He's not exactly Ulysses with his invincible uber-specialness.

He thinks he's the hero but he's really just leading them to the worst defeat in their history unless the Sole Survivor intervenes.

Maxson being Arthur is such a ludicrous misinterpretation of the character I can't even take the idea seriously and assume you're joking.

Portions

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:16 am

how so almost all in game references of him say he's the real deal...I'm intrigued tho please elaborate
pinar

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:29 am

If you complete Danse's quest, he more or less says Maxson doesn't do any of his own dirty work. He sends other people to do it. He can also call Maxson out on the fact he [Danse] did a large amount of what got him [Maxson] into this position.

Maxson also says in very very guarded terms that he believes Danse isn't a threat but he can't undermine his own position by letting him return to the Brotherhood. In other words, he's not interested in actually doing the right thing versus politics.

Also, the entirety of his history is ridiculous and I presume probably true only in broad strokes. A very easy way to read it is he's nothing more than a puppet for the West Coast Elders since they appointed him as Elder versus him being elected by the men in the Capital.

Finally, when you actually face Maxson, he's not even wearing actual Powered Armor and is rather easy to kill. It's very likely he's not actually trained to Paladin levels and is a desk general. Which makes sense since he's not a front-line Elder but acts like one.

Bethany Short

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:39 am

Very interesting...I hope bethesda elaborates on this ..danse is potentially a very good source of info...I don't think his ingame stats should be factored in tho...I have no doubt he had help getting into his position but the brotherhood is thriving under him it would seem I'll be very curious to see if there is a cannon ending
Shannon Lockwood

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:29 pm

The "thriving under him" thing is kind of touch and go because the Brotherhood has been suffering heavy casualties according to Danse if you talk to him prior to the arrival of the Prydwen. A lot of their teams get their asses kicked on scouting missions like this. There's also tapes which talk about how Maxson's wars have been brutal and full of heavy fighting left and right--causing a lot of people to abandon Lyon's peaceful ways.

The Prydwen is invincible but the BoS encounters three potential foes who can destroy it in Fallout 4.

And it took 8 years of their efforts and crippling RIvet City to build it (they took Rivet City's nuclear generator).

Nikki Morse

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:10 am

very very good points...I'm very curious now...I hope bethesda picks a cannon ending...I also wonder how liberty prime factors in
OnlyDumazzapplyhere

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:55 pm

Another reason why I think the BoS ending won't be canon is to get rid of LP.

Too powerful for the gameworld.

Thema

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:22 pm

I think it could hinge on that..prime gives them a almost unbeatable advantage...don't know how many orbital strikes are left lol
Steeeph

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:21 am

Given that they brought that stupid ass thing back I'd imagine Libertous Prime is here to stay
Siidney

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:20 am

Except for it being blown to pieces and buried under massive tons of rubble in 3/5 endings.

BlackaneseB

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:45 pm

He wasn't?

Its a bit hazy, but I could have sworn he was wearing full Brotherhood PA when I fought him during the Institute assault on Logan Airport.

Cccurly

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:05 am

Then you don't know your King Arthur tales very good. He boy king, hell, I would even go so far to say the Institute is his Holy Grail.

Also, you keep saying the WC made Arthur Elder, but I fairly positive on Quinlan's terminal it says Arthur was made Elder by his peers in the CW and the WC accepted it.....pretty positive. Which is yet another slap in the face of ye old LW.

As a matter of fact, your very own image:

http://i.imgur.com/1Y1tZ43.jpg

this says after Maxson made peace with the Outcasts the reunited BoS made him Elder. I am under the impression this is the CW BoS making him Elder.

Kelly Osbourne Kelly

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:05 am

The previous terminal panel makes it clear the West Coast Brotherhood made him Elder.

And Maxson wants to exterminate every man, woman, and child in the Institute.

He's an adaptation of Warhammer 40K.

Not King Arthur.

Stacyia

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:26 am

The previous terminal says the WC recognized he ready to lead, but it doesn't say they made him Elder, he wasn't made elder until a year later after making peace with Outcasts, and it specifically says they, the reunited BoS made him Elder, not the WC. WC probably just made him a Knight or something, or gave the Okay that he take on more of a leadership role.

The BoS as a whole was influenced by Warhammer 40K. Arthur is a blatant rip off of King Arthur, down to his name, being a boy leader, everything. Now if you want to be in denial of what BGS did, which was a blatant rip off, then okay, but we all saw this coming 7 years ago(as a poor scenario, too).

Richard Dixon

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:58 am

Arthur Maxson being foreshadowed as coming to lead the BOS was foreshadowed by his name and the Arthurian elements which existed in Fallout 3. What Arthur Maxson turned out to be in a racist, frothing, militant warmonger leading a cult of personality away from the heroic and noble ideals of Owen Lyons is not remotely Arthurian. Except, again, if you assume he's Mordred.

The role of Arthur Maxson as a traitor to the ideal of the Lyons Brotherhood is a wonderful deconstruction of what fans thought was going to happen with Arthur returning to the West Coast, assuming leadership, and reforming it to be a better organization.

Instead, he's stayed on the East Coast and made it a force of moral ambiguity rather than good.

So kudos to Bethesda for going a different route. The road less traveled.

Kira! :)))

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:57 am

True, but wouldn't be the first time they resurrected him. I didn't expect that heap of junk to get up in Fallout 3. Killed me when it did. Then the Enclave blew him up and earned a few brownie points. Now his big dumb [censored] is back. Wouldn't be surprised if Bethesda settles on whichever 2/5 endings see Optimus Prime returning yet again.

Shelby McDonald

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:12 am

True but Broken Steel made it clear they were repairing Liberty Prime even then.

I was surprised he was still inoperable fifteen years later.

N3T4

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:48 pm

What in the world are you talking about? Maxson BoS is almost identical to Lyons BoS. They seek to kill SM and Ghouls. Both factions did this. They took over tech, both did this. Lyons BoS still took the Pentagon, took Liberty Prime, had scribes out looking for stuff(Scribe in the library in DC as an example), still researched Tech(shown in the citadel), they started making the airship BEFORE Maxson was Elder, they took all the Enclave tech. Both recruited wastelanders. The only thing different that I can tell is Maxson is just more efficient than Lyons.

The King Arthur stuff is still there. He rose to be boy king. Check. He is basically worshipped? Check. Going on Holy Crusade? Check. It is all as predicted, there is no road less traveled here, Robert Frost.

Madeleine Rose Walsh

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:22 am

Almost...what?

Elder Lyons drove his branch of the Brotherhood to ruination trying to protect Wastelanders and by ignoring the tech-searching mission of the BoS. Elder Maxson has returned to the tech-hunting mission of the BoS and now is in the Commonwealth destroying everything and everything which stands in his way to getting rid of rivals for technology. Protecting Wastelanders is something they frequently state their disdain for in conversations about Minutemen. They're going to annex the Commonwealth but protecting Wastelanders is not a concern versus destroying technology they deem inappropriate (Synths). Maxson has also annexed the Capital Wasteland while Lyons was just sharing the water from the Purifer.

I can't even imagine how anyone thinks they're REMOTELY alike.

As Nick says, "Elder Maxson is a madman."

NEGRO

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion