Make up your own quest

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:38 am

What would be some cool quest ideas for the ES5? mine would be somthing like this

You're in (insert main city of next game) when you find a mysterious journal. in the journal you find odd recordings of the jounal owners oberservations of various wildlife, as well as some strange and semisadistic reacounts of killing various forest animals, and a wood elf adventurer. You find the name of the owner of the journal and go to return it, however when you find out thet the owner of the journal was recently arrested you go and see him, but he's been arrested for the murder of said wood elf, you go and talk to him in jail and discover he's a vampire and needs blood. You then have two options, bring him some blood, or kill him. If you choose to get him blood, you have to go retrieve a bucket of blood, to do that you have go get a magical blood preserving flask, go collect the blood of some random woodland creatures, and return the flask to him. Then you return itto him and he'll reveal the location of the wood elf he killed's items, a silver bow, a few gold nuggets, and 200 gold. if you choose the option to kill him, you can just wait a few days and he'll go all ravenous and the guards will kill him, or you can tell a guard what he is and they'll kill him and pay you the bounty youu earn for turning in a vampire, 500 gold.
Sarah Knight

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:24 am

Interesting question.
I don't know, I like quests to be somewhat short, not overly epic - because when it can take hours of confusing tell-him-she-said-this and find-this-and-bring-it-to-her-and-tell-her-he-said-she-said, even using a strategy guide can get tiresome with it. I guess my point on this is in regards to most main quest chunks towards the end, where you need to convince umpteen people that you're cool as hell. It's the equivalent of being dropped into a foreign country and suddenly deciding to run for mayor/governor/president there, just because someone you randomly met of questionable sanity suggested it.

I'd like to see a reference to what you portray - a charismatic adventurer, or a failed hero that was once in your shoes. Like the Failed Incarnates of Morrowind, and the random adventurers in Oblivion. Something that lets you know that you're not exactly special and unique - you're just someone with enough courage, support and potential.
I'd like to see some mystery, like the dinner party thing in Oblivion. The exception being that I'm not mysteriously locked into a cell. Because there's not much freedom involved in that.
Naughty not Nice

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:37 am

I like that idea. I have the same thing with FO3 where I'm in some dank building somewhere and come across a random dead adventurer/mercenary type and start to wonder about them. Where did this guy hail fro? Is someone missing him? How the hell did he get out here cause I found it tough and I've no equal in sneaking etc. It would be good if you cold inhabit these guys and gals and get them through so at the end they can go home and the chaps in the local tavern will know that Steve the Adventurer went into that evil sounding fort on the other side of Cyrodiil and came back with riches and fame.
oliver klosoff

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:28 am

I made a realy long quest line for a "missing child" quest for Oblivion. No markers at all, so you actually had to talk to people and figure out where the story went. Unfortunately, most players are dumb and impatient and no one ever completed the quest, mostly cause most of the players i knew never bought the skingrad house where some one has slipped the "missing child" notice under your door. Its a shame realy. Took alot of work to make that quest for my Improved Child NPC mod.
Euan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:33 am

I already have a quest mod planned for TES 5 if I like the game. I would've done it for Oblivion if http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1051034 didn't end up getting as huge as it did, by now I have no interest in starting another large quest project.

Basically for a seamingly innocent quest the player is required to join a trading ship on it's way to [insert nearby province here] to keep an eye on things, because there has been a thief on board in the past. Before he enters the ship he leaves all of his possessions behind and is given clothes to not look out of place. The player gets to do a little investigating, and after giving his opinion to the captain he retreats to his cabin.

Not much later the player wakes up. The ship has hit a storm and is sinking. After getting out of his cabin (the door will be blocked so it'll have to be forced open) he needs to get out. Outside, in the middle of nowhere, the player hangs onto whatever sturdy looking floating piece of wood he can find and passes out.

When he wakes up he finds himself in a sea cave like http://ramblingsdc.net/OldPhotos/LookingOutCaveSmall.jpg, washed up with pieces of the wreckage on the shore. There'll be a young man on another piece of floating wreckage, presumably dead. When the player goes to check he finds out that he is in fact still alive. The player needs to manually drag him to the shore (inside the cavern).

The guy wakes up, has a conversation with the player and becomes a companion.

When the player and 'the guy' make their way through the cave they find a small village, with people surprised at the arrival of their new guests.

The inhabitants of the island are people who previously got caught in a storm and ended up on the island as well, 20 or so years ago. They were never rescued and for reasons currently unknown they have not been able to leave the island.

The player will have to work together with his companion to find their way off the island. Through dialogue choices the player can influence what his companion thinks about him, positively or negatively. How the companion has been treated during the story will play a vital role in some of the crucial later parts of the story. Because the player and his companion have no equipment at all, a few of the first quests will deal with gathering some.

Along with the main story of the island there are side quests that can be completed for people in the village.

The rest I haven't worked out entirely yet. Basically there's another group of people living on the island, researching it with 'evil' intentions.

Now here's where I'm bending the lore a little bit, and things get rather complicated (especially for me to create). With an amulet this other group is developing and special locations on the island the user of the amulet is able to travel through time: 10 years in the past, or 10 years in the future. Time only changes on the island. One thing I'd like to be important is the presence of choices and consequences in the quests. By allowing the player to go 10 years in the future it'll be possible to show the longterm consequences of his actions. Of course the area that the player can explore in the future and the past are a bit more limited than the present, because recreating everything twice would be a lot of work. But I'm not the greatest landscape designer and this is going to be a solo project so the island isn't going to be huge anyway.

Then there'll be an occassion where the player is able to go back to a specific time to correct his own mistakes, etc.

It's probably obvious by now that my influences are Chrono Trigger and Prince of Persia. And a theatre play I saw. And no, not the season of the TV series Lost where time travel comes up. I came up with the whole concept before that season appeared here. :P

The WIP name would be Akatosh Island, because Akatosh is considered the god of time.

There's no guarantee that I'm actually starting a quest project for TES V but if I am starting something it'll most likely be this.

edit: I've actually never written any of this down. I'd better copy this post. :P
Andres Lechuga

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:05 am

I made a realy long quest line for a "missing child" quest for Oblivion. No markers at all, so you actually had to talk to people and figure out where the story went. Unfortunately, most players are dumb and impatient and no one ever completed the quest, mostly cause most of the players i knew never bought the skingrad house where some one has slipped the "missing child" notice under your door. Its a shame realy. Took alot of work to make that quest for my Improved Child NPC mod.

Sounds like a nice quest, you should add a link to it. I don't have any ideas at the moment. I would like to see more quests of the caliber of Mehrunes' Razor and of the multiple task quests that were relatively plentiful in Morrowind.
suniti

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:38 am

Something based off one of the in-game books
Isabella X

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:26 am

After a certain amout of time, your character is given several papers detailing an organiztion dedicated to finding religious artifacts, whether they are of the divines, daedra, or the tribunal.

As you join, you learn of the backstory behind this great house, and their leader, an argonian female who is said to have earned half of these artifacts.

As you collect artifacts, ranging from the skulls of saints, to demonic possessed knives. As you rank up, you are also given more powerful artifacts to use yourself, and enchantments as well. You are also given duties like delivering news to outposts, reclaiming positions with an active holding system(this area, or this area is under enemy control, seize it!)

in the end, you use parts of these artifacts to open a portal which allows you to side with the daedric gods! with the exception of sheogorath and mehrunes dagon, it allows you to side with any god, and get enhancements from them as such....

big idea??
Janette Segura

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:42 am

The time for the Daedric provings has come again! Each daedric lord will select a mortal champion and influence them in whatever way they see fit in order to ensure that their champion is the last standing. They must bestow their gifts upon the individual granting them the weakened powers of the daedra.
Essentially the PC is chosen by a Daedric Lord and granted powers necessary to defeat the other champions in anyway possible, the PC must be careful however for the other champions will also be trying to defeat him/her.
Sheila Reyes

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:40 am

Did you guys ever see Running Man? Well, something like that. An enormous bounty is placed on your head and you have to make your way across Cyrodill, always checking what's behind you each step. Whilst you hunt for the man who placed this bounty, you have to fight off the hunters themself.
Lucie H

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 am

You are looking for an ancient amulet that will teleport you to a random spot in the world. To get this amulet, you must enter a cave. Inside the cave, there are no monsters. But the door behind you disappears. There is a maze in front of you. Get through the maze, and you come upona hall of 7 doors. Each door contains a challenge, such as commanding troops in a war or assissting in making a peace treaty. After your done with all the doors, a large crystal lowers itself into the room and blocks the door out. You can destroy the crystal and escape, or touch the crystal and be teleported to a room full of ghosts. A dead man is on the floor. Each of the ghosts have diffrent motives for murdering him. They all admit to it. You must find the single one that is Innocent. Then you will fight a 50 foot high troll. Kill him and get the amulet.
kevin ball

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:58 pm

My favourite quest would combine all possible gameplay elements:
Fighting
Sneking/Stealing
Persuation
A team to work with
Leadership
Solving of conflicts
Choice

This can be fitted together in a creative way to make them all enhance eachother. A way I could see this work would be a raid of some kind, not a dungeon raid, but a raid of a well, but not too well defended place. My idea: You and a band of other people are going to raid an imperial ebony mine, contracted by some sort of rebellious/organized crime organization(camonna tong?). The ebony mine is walled on one side, and there's a steep mountain on the other side, inside there's a small settlement with workers and a legion garrison. The mine is too well defended for you to attack it, so you have to somehow do it in another way, you are part of the recon troup, the plan is to spy on, and prepare the mine for your assault. From there on, you rule your quest.
sam westover

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:45 am

Quests where you have to actually think (big shocker for oblivion quests, zing!) i really liked this one quest in 'Integration the stranded light' this hidden elf gives you a sort of riddle to find another elf, it was really cool. The best quest in vanilla oblivion that did this was one quest in the mages guild, you had to read ayleid messages about a pillar, to activate the pillar you had to use specific spell effects in a specific order on the pillar, a mistake will cause the pillar to reset and send a fatal electric bolt at you. We need more of these quests where you couldn't win by blindly following an arrow, or throwing stuff randomly, and where you actually need to READ! (second shocker, double zing!)
FLYBOYLEAK

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:49 pm

Nothing too specific that I can think of off the top of my head. But I loved how quests worked in SI. Some of the sidequests were still the silly "Find person A about Artifact X and retrieve it for Person B to trade for Artifact Y" etc., but the main quests were full of twists and unique ideas. You were never really sure just what sort of errand you were on; it was very rarely a "go to this dungeon and shank this dude" sort of quest. :P
Andrea Pratt

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:24 am

Sounds like a nice quest, you should add a link to it. I don't have any ideas at the moment. I would like to see more quests of the caliber of Mehrunes' Razor and of the multiple task quests that were relatively plentiful in Morrowind.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=17333
Benito Martinez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:03 am

Goblin Slaughter/war - Posibly choose a side of goblin tribes, and have skirmishes.

Vampire/Werewolf hunting - Battle ancient vampire clans with VERY powerfull matriarches/patriarches. Possibly fight the first vampire.
And Vampire Werewolf wars are always fun.

Finding a very powerful weapon/piece of armor - And blasting/sneaking/fighting very tough enemies to get this item.

Gaining a massive power - A game changing spell.

Fighting one of their gods - Imagine how fun that would be.

Become a Daedric prince/ one of the Nine - Probably would be a MQ.

And WAR!
Matt Gammond

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 pm

I read about dragons on uesp wiki and it said about them. so a good quest would be you find a clue and then the clue leads to another clue and that clue says of a secret island. Then you buy a boat and with the directions you find the island. But on this island there is a dragon and it is killing the people because it is hungry. So you can either kill the dragon and become the hero of the island and maybe get armour made from dragon hid which is the best in the game or let it live and let it kill the people and you might be able to ride or something like that but just onthe island so it isnt laggy. and you could go back to the island and find treasures and do side quests when ever you want. ow and they should have more one of a kind weapons like morrowind did :flamethrower: :obliviongate: :intergalactic: :cookie: :chaos: :nuke: :swear: :poke: :bolt: :gun:
carla

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 pm

I'd like a quest where I had to murder the Count and Countess of every town in the gameworld without being caught. It would be the final Dark brotherhood quest, in which the Night Mother purges the land of her enemies, replacing them with a DB member of her choosing :rock:
Jade Barnes-Mackey

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:47 am

I would use a teleportation spell then wake up somewhere... alone... naked...

I like quests that have a good plot/story, preferably with some plot twists or just something refreshingly original and fun to do. I like when there is more than one way to do a quest, with distinct 'endings' or action/dialog trees or a different reward/ending. That way, when I make a new character and do the quest again, I can do it slightly differently to reflect my new Role Playing for that character's personality.
i grind hard

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:42 am

I already have a quest mod planned for TES 5 if I like the game. I would've done it for Oblivion if http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1051034 didn't end up getting as huge as it did, by now I have no interest in starting another large quest project.

Basically for a seamingly innocent quest the player is required to join a trading ship on it's way to [insert nearby province here] to keep an eye on things, because there has been a thief on board in the past. Before he enters the ship he leaves all of his possessions behind and is given clothes to not look out of place. The player gets to do a little investigating, and after giving his opinion to the captain he retreats to his cabin.

Not much later the player wakes up. The ship has hit a storm and is sinking. After getting out of his cabin (the door will be blocked so it'll have to be forced open) he needs to get out. Outside, in the middle of nowhere, the player hangs onto whatever sturdy looking floating piece of wood he can find and passes out.

When he wakes up he finds himself in a sea cave like http://ramblingsdc.net/OldPhotos/LookingOutCaveSmall.jpg, washed up with pieces of the wreckage on the shore. There'll be a young man on another piece of floating wreckage, presumably dead. When the player goes to check he finds out that he is in fact still alive. The player needs to manually drag him to the shore (inside the cavern).

When the player and 'the guy' make their way through the cave they find a small village, with people surprised at the arrival of their new guests.

The inhabitants of the island are people who previously got caught in a storm and ended up on the island as well, 20 or so years ago. They were never rescued and for reasons currently unknown they have not been able to leave the island.

The player will have to work together with his companion to find their way off the island. Through dialogue choices the player can influence what his companion thinks about him, positively or negatively. How the companion has been treated during the story will play a vital role in some of the crucial later parts of the story. Because the player and his companion have no equipment at all, a few of the first quests will deal with gathering some.

Along with the main story of the island there are side quests that can be completed for people in the village.

The rest I haven't worked out entirely yet. Basically there's another group of people living on the island, researching it with 'evil' intentions.

Now here's where I'm bending the lore a little bit, and things get rather complicated (especially for me to create). With an amulet this other group is developing and special locations on the island the user of the amulet is able to travel through time: 10 years in the past, or 10 years in the future. Time only changes on the island. One thing I'd like to be important is the presence of choices and consequences in the quests. By allowing the player to go 10 years in the future it'll be possible to show the longterm consequences of his actions. Of course the area that the player can explore in the future and the past are a bit more limited than the present, because recreating everything twice would be a lot of work. But I'm not the greatest landscape designer and this is going to be a solo project so the island isn't going to be huge anyway.

Then there'll be an occassion where the player is able to go back to a specific time to correct his own mistakes, etc.

It's probably obvious by now that my influences are Chrono Trigger and Prince of Persia. And a theatre play I saw. And no, not the season of the TV series Lost where time travel comes up. I came up with the whole concept before that season appeared here. :P

The WIP name would be Akatosh Island, because Akatosh is considered the god of time.

There's no guarantee that I'm actually starting a quest project for TES V but if I am starting something it'll most likely be this.

edit: I've actually never written any of this down. I'd better copy this post. :P

Dude, that's more like a small expansion pack, good luck :goodjob:
sara OMAR

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:11 am

Well there could be a quest line where you help Jygglag take Mehrunes Dagons realm or help Mehrunes Dagon defend his daedric realm.
Spoiler
Mehrunes Dagon got cast back into Oblivion forever and is growing weaker and weaker, Jygglag is now released from his prison after SI and needs a new realm

Beulah Bell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:27 am

Dude, that's more like a small expansion pack, good luck :goodjob:

That's the plan. :)

But we'll see how things go. Maybe I don't even have enough free time for it all by the time TES V is out. Who knows.
Katey Meyer

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:24 am

Now that sounds interesting. If you ever need help, let me know.
phil walsh

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:55 am

Underwater ruins of an extinct culture.

Nuff? said.
Manuel rivera

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:35 am

I'd like to see something more political. Let's say taht you rise to the top of one of the guilds, say the Mage's guild. Although this could play differently bsed on whether you rose to to top of one guild or several guild, either way it would be interesting. As leader of one of the major guilds, you now have power in the court of teh King, and the ability to potentially infulence the lives of all the people of the land, for better or worse. As powerful people are like to do, the other guild leaders compete with you for favor and gold. Just how far would you be willing to go to promote your guild and yourself? Would you weaken the security of the kingdom for the sake of your own advancement? Would you make the people's lives worse? Or would you forsake your own advancement for the benefit of the realm?

You would be presented with a number of options, none of which are without some moral cost, and the path you choose changes the world. If, for example, you destroy the fighter's guild, the wilds become a more dangerous place, as these former guild members become desperate to support themselves. Weaken the military, and the roads become more dangerous. Show weakness in council, and the wolves will be at your door, smelling blood.

This is beyond the normal epic story of a hero emerging from nothing, but it's the sort of thing I like.
D IV

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion