Making combat actually scary?

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:39 am

Scary meaning more intense. In most other games out there including Oblivion, you'd just run up to anyone and kill them without a second thought. Want that guy's armor? Kill him. Want the loot from that guy? Kill him.

It would be nice to actually feel some fear for your life in combat. Maybe die after 2 hits so you really have to focus on timing your blocks rather than just spamming the attack button. Perhaps this would fit more into a hardcoe mode, but I'd like to see it anyway.
Manny(BAKE)

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Sort of like Demon's Souls :thumbsup: .
Kevin Jay

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Sort of like Demon's Souls :thumbsup: .

They're going to have make something other than loading the solution to death if it gets to demon's souls levels.
Tanya

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Scary meaning more intense. In most other games out there including Oblivion, you'd just run up to anyone and kill them without a second thought. Want that guy's armor? Kill him. Want the loot from that guy? Kill him.

It would be nice to actually feel some fear for your life in combat. Maybe die after 2 hits so you really have to focus on timing your blocks rather than just spamming the attack button. Perhaps this would fit more into a hardcoe mode, but I'd like to see it anyway.

Not sure if your a PC player...but there are many mods for this, so I'm sure there will be mods for Skyrim.

Second...its a bit late for them to take suggestions on Skyrim since its coming out SO soon.
Mr.Broom30

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:37 pm

I agree. The real reason why there is no fear or second thoughts is because there are no consequences. If we win, we win. If we lose, we load a quicksave. There really is no solution to this besides self imposed ones: something like obeying the Dead-is-dead rule.

Regardless, I personally would like to see combat become more deadly and skill-oriented, but I can definitely see how this would cause the game to go away from its RPG roots.

So I don't know what I want, and I'm sorry for going off-topic there.
sarah simon-rogaume

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:19 pm

yup demons souls had some beauty combat, and controls.

If i dont have to slice buddy 100+ times to kill him at level 40 then i am happy
Albert Wesker

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Some horror elements, but not always scary...
Myles

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:55 pm

Just to clarify, I don't mean "scary" in a horror sort of way. I meant like the fear that you'd feel in combat. Like in real life, even if you were armed with a knife, you wouldn't just run up to another guy with a knife and get in a fight with him. There's that fear that one wrong move and you could be dead.
rebecca moody

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:27 pm

Copy the "Mount & Blade" combat mechanism and it will become serious enough to prevent casual killing.

But ultimately more rewarding and satisfying to learn the art.
MarilĂș

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:07 pm

In both Morrowind and Oblivion, every creature in a 10 mile radius behaved basically as if they were rabid, which meant lots of pointless fighting, and the attacking creature is usually hopelessly outmatched.

I think an intense battle would involve making enemies which are either equal to the player in power, or slightly outmatching the player, and make fights a relatively rare event. I'm also inclined to believe more pronounced battle music would help set the mood. To me, the battle music of MW/OB didn't announce its presence very much, and had too slow of a pace to suggest an intense fight spinning out of control.
saharen beauty

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:04 am

They're going to have make something other than loading the solution to death if it gets to demon's souls levels.

Oh I'm not saying that TES should have Demon's Souls combat, just an example of a game that combat is scary and suspenseful.
alicia hillier

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:27 pm

Not sure if your a PC player...but there are many mods for this, so I'm sure there will be mods for Skyrim.

Second...its a bit late for them to take suggestions on Skyrim since its coming out SO soon.

It's never too late! Unless you didn't want to go to Skyrim... But aside from that, the developers are always listening and considering! I personally would love combat to be more realistic, brutal, and intense. That's honestly the only direction Bethesda can go at this point in my opinion in order to truly bring that immersive feeling they want to convey to the player (look at the blood in gore in Fallout 3). When that orc is raging, you need to see the spit spraying from his mouth and the sheer horror of the rage coming from his voice. When you fight in the arena, you will be anything but calm, your adrenaline will start flowing and you will be ready to seize victory. Battles need to be intense and about survival if Bethesda is truly to grasp the immersion of combat. The days of the simple hack and slash are long over. The fourth era begins!
Austin England

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:44 am

Stuff like damage levels could be changed 5 minutes before sending it off, and you'd be sure of no bugs. It might not get tested for fun, but it could be done very easily.
Lucy

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:44 pm

im just saying do you guys put the difficulty bar all the way up becuse i could never do that?
Danial Zachery

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:16 am

im just saying do you guys put the difficulty bar all the way up becuse i could never do that?

When playing without companions I do. But in Oblivion, scaling the difficulty up meant your companions were just as big & bad as the enemies were. Works for loners, doesn't work for players who have NPC companions. :turtle:
Michelle Serenity Boss

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Pull your slider all the way to hard, you'll have some fun.

I'd often try and sneak past people, but when I got in fights they were pretty crazy, dodging arrows and magic and tricking the AI, and with two enemies? Oh deary me. I had a battle were I tricked one guy into following me off a cliff, where I landed safely, he did not. And I'm pretty sure I got a guy to drown himself.

Of course more difficulty, meant the enemies would go done in 100+ hits, and you would be down in three. I'd like it if upping the difficulty meant your enemies had better aim and were more aggressive, but you'd both go down in a few hits. Though, that is not the RPG way, perhaps a separate mode would work, but I'm not counting on it.
R.I.P

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Happy Jack; I did at one point when I decided to disable pets. Poisons weren't overkill anymore. Also made me pay attention to the fact that I have no magic resist. :P

I'm inclined to agree with you as well, difficult should equal aggression and more effective AI, rather than beefing their stats up.
Eileen Collinson

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Regardless, I personally would like to see combat become more deadly and skill-oriented, but I can definitely see how this would cause the game to go away from its RPG roots.

I think that's what a lot of developers/fans think, but I find it to be quite the contrary. ie, if you die in two hits, there's not enough "number crunching" it's just an action title.

A fully armored knight with with high STR and END would probably not think twice about starting a fight to the death, and he can probably best most opponents. Even if he takes a dozen hits, his armor protects him very well, not to mention his blocking skill.

A lightly armed assassin or ranger however, would probably want to start from a distant, get an arrow or thrown weapon off to even the odds. Or sneak up quietly and do a backstab (we have gotten these, but they rarely took out Goblin Warlords)

Magicians would have to rely on spells such as levitate, invisibility, paralyze, sanctuary.
Janette Segura

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:36 pm

They should make it an option...... For that hardocre mode that we are making up.

The masses will never stop complaining if you drop dead after two shots. But you could never fight two guys and a guy getting two shots in and you dieing would make for a really bad time.

I think they should just take a lot to die, that requires skill, not CoD luck. Even have like 10 shots each of something. If people die so quick, you are making it mean even less. But if you have to scraqe and crawl and battle for a like 5 or more minutes.....
Katie Pollard

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:18 pm

More intense combat is welcome, just make the damage (ie: where you hit, specific damage is dealt) more realistic.
Matthew Barrows

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:25 am

Um, no.

I'm fine with MW's style combat and easily accepted that my arrow/sword appeared to hit yet missed (due to the die roll).

I can't stand, nor did I ever use the whole block kind of stuff.

Question: Does giving you more control or less control in combat make it scarier? Me? I'm more scared when out of control, so I gues a more complicated system would do it for me...but it'd be for a reason opposite of yours (at least from what I uderstand yours to be)

Oh, and I can use this emote! :starwars:
adame

Post » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:04 pm

I know what you mean. Everytime I came up against a mage in Morrowind and Oblivion, I just saw a fluffy target with a "Kill me" sign on it. In Daggerfall however, it was a completely different experience. Magic wielding enemies scare me in that game. Sometimes I get oneshoted by that first imp in Privateer's hold. The general approach to magic in daggerfall really did those rogue wizards that you would occasionally hunt down in the mage's guild justice. They were formidible if you didn't take them down quickly.

That being said, Oblivion was the first elderscrolls game that I actually had fun playing a straight mage before.
Trent Theriot

Return to V - Skyrim