A megathread of requests for help... from me... on modding..

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:30 am

Hi!

I am not very used to mods on morrowind and how it works so... here are any questions:

(forgot to mention, I am using this guide to mod: http://pastebin.com/7gF2VLaf)

NEW QUESTIONS (unanswered)

-----

ANSWERED QUESTIONS

Spoiler
1I just got the Morrowind Official Plugins, from here: http://download.fliggerty.com/download-13-1079where they were patched and fixed by this group. And they even have optional improvements!

Except one problem... for one:

Adamantite Armour I see there is an:

"!Optional" folder with two folders inside:

"Adamantite high-res textures" - Inside there is a folder:

"textures" with contents:

tx_a_adamantium_boots.dds

tx_a_adamantium_bracer.dds

tx_a_adamantium_c.dds

tx_a_adamantium_g.dds

tx_a_adamantium_up_arm.dds

tx_a_adamantium.dds

"Adamantite meshes with normal maps" inside there is two folders:

"Meshes" with a folder:

"a" with contents

A_Adamantium_Boots_A.NIF

a_Adamantium_Boots_F.NIF

A_Adamantium_Boots_GND.NIF

continuing like so with bracers, pauldrons, cuirass, greaves

"Textures" with contents:

TX_A_Adamantium_boots_NM

TX_A_Adamantium_bracer_NM

TX_A_Adamantium_C_NM

TX_A_adamantium_G_NM [btw... hope that a lower cased "a" doesnt do any harm :P]

TX_A_Adamantium_up_arm_NM

So. What I did was first I ignore the !options folder and just put in the texture and meshes folder that was the original patched version. Then looking in the options folder, I couldn't figure out what they actually meant. What is "Adamantite meshes with normal maps" supposed to mean? Normal maps? And when I looked at them, they looked funny. I looked at the folder of high def files and they looked nice. Anyway, because I was afraid of making YET another thread on this forum, I yoloed and threw in the two folders in the "Adamantite meshes with normal maps" into my morrowind Data Files and replaced anything it conflicted with (from the original patched version)

Then I thought... am I supposed to put the HD ones in too ? So I threw those in, and replaced any files it conflicted with. Except I thought about it, that would mean that I was supposed to do ONE OR THE OTHER. And so, I have some MESHES from the "Adamantite meshes with normal maps" in my data files, and "Adamantite High-Res textures" which I REPLACED all the previous textures with.

So now I am afraid my whole game might break or something! In a panic, I right clicked in my date files and told it TWICE to undo my "move" action. Not sure if it actually restores the replaced files, but it seems to have unmoved at least files that have not been replaced.

Is my game all mucked up? How do I fix what I just did? I don't even quite understand what I did...

Spoiler
2. With the same modding source from number 1 question, there is for example the "Helm of Tohan" folder, with optional folder which has a folder "Helm with normal map", with a Meshes folder and a Textures folder. This is why I am so confused about this mod. Am I supposed to be putting in the patched stuff and then the optional stuff? WHAT THE HECK IS A "NORMAL MAP" supposed to mean in these things?

And is it supposed to be that in these optional folders, you are supposed to only pick one???

Spoiler
3. From the same download as the first two questions:

http://download.fliggerty.com/download-13-1079

MASTER INDEX PLUGIN

These !Optionals are even more confusing! But if I am told what they mean, I think I will not have problems so much in the future with their kind!

So. Anyone looking at this, can they figure out which ones am I supposed to put in? And what those optional folders actually mean?

I believe that Master Index + Indexes high-res textures is.... IDK

I believe that Master Index Glowmapped would be some kind of glowing version (but is it high definition?)

I believe that Master Index new icon would maybe replace the offical Master Index icon folder? (BUT THE FILE IN THE OFFICAL FOLDER IS .TGA, WHILE THE FILE IN THE OPTIONAL FOLDER IS A .DDS!!!)

I believe that Smoothed indexes mesh is.... IDK

So can anyone explain these optional folders, because from what I can tell, there are conflicting files, and does it make sense to put in the "default" files , and then some of these optional ones? but which can work? why choose one over the other?

---

Morrowind Official Plugins (folder)

Master Index (folder)

!Optional (folder)

Master Index + Indexes high-res textures (folder)

Textures (folder)

tx_index_master_01.dds

tx_index_master_01_g.dds

tx_portal_block.dds

Master Index Glowmapped (folder)

Meshes (folder)

m (folder)

Misc_Index_Master.NIF

Textures (folder)

Tx_index_master_01_g.dds

Master Index new icon (folder)

Icons (folder)

misc_master_index.dds

Smoothed Indexes mesh (folder)

Meshes (folder)

m (folder)

misc_portal_shard.nif

Icons (folder)

Misc_master_index.tga

Meshes (folder)

M (folder)

Misc_Index_Master.NIF

Textures (folder)

Tx_index_master_01.dds'

readme_masterindex.txt (no information about !optional folder!)

Alessandra Botham

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:05 am

Normal mapping is a technique in order to add more detail to meshes (3D models) without using more polygons (actually sculpting more details).

?

?So the normal maps version would look nicer (looks like it has more 3D details etc.), theoretically.

?

?I think mixing and matching is fine; the Normal Maps version only has the textures for the normal maps (hence why they, probably, look like some weird psychedelic things) - just drop the HD textures on top and it should look fine.

?

?Morrowind isn't that delicate; the worst you could do is end with errors about missing meshes and textures (annoying but generally harmless; missing meshes become ugly error markers tho) or have your game look very ugly.

?

?Just a question, but did you read the readme? They tend to give detailed instructions for these kind of things.

Eve(G)

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:45 pm

I read every readme! :D but for this they do not mention the optional stuff at all. but the guide I am using (from pastbin) simply says go ahead and install all the optinal stuff. but to me that doesnt make much sense, if the optional stuff is conflicing with each other sometimes :/

but ok, that explains that... thanks!

Jeff Turner

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:03 am

New question submitted... YAY:

From the same download as number 1:

3. MASTER INDEX PLUGIN

These !Optionals are even more confusing! But if I am told what they mean, I think I will not have problems so much in the future with their kind!

So. Anyone looking at this, can they figure out which ones am I supposed to put in? And what those optional folders actually mean?

I believe that Master Index + Indexes high-res textures is.... IDK

I believe that Master Index Glowmapped would be some kind of glowing version (but is it high definition?)

I believe that Master Index new icon would maybe replace the offical Master Index icon folder? (BUT THE FILE IN THE OFFICAL FOLDER IS .TGA, WHILE THE FILE IN THE OPTIONAL FOLDER IS A .DDS!!!)

I believe that Smoothed indexes mesh is.... IDK

So can anyone explain these optional folders, because from what I can tell, there are conflicting files, and does it make sense to put in the "default" files , and then some of these optional ones? but which can work? why choose one over the other?

---

Morrowind Official Plugins (folder)

Master Index (folder)

!Optional (folder)

Master Index + Indexes high-res textures (folder)

Textures (folder)

tx_index_master_01.dds

tx_index_master_01_g.dds

tx_portal_block.dds

Master Index Glowmapped (folder)

Meshes (folder)

m (folder)

Misc_Index_Master.NIF

Textures (folder)

Tx_index_master_01_g.dds

Master Index new icon (folder)

Icons (folder)

misc_master_index.dds

Smoothed Indexes mesh (folder)

Meshes (folder)

m (folder)

misc_portal_shard.nif

Icons (folder)

Misc_master_index.tga

Meshes (folder)

M (folder)

Misc_Index_Master.NIF

Textures (folder)

Tx_index_master_01.dds'

readme_masterindex.txt (no information about !optional folder!)

-----

herrade

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:08 am

?

?The first one has a high-resolution texture. Glow mapped is, you guessed it correctly, a glowing version. New icon would be a new icon (although the differing formats is odd; pick one or the other). Smoothed meshes are models with a higher polycount (hence looking "smoother" and theoretically making them better, but more polys doesn't always means better...).

?

?

It would be up to you to pick which optional to use. You could combine all of them, but I would avoid it (I wouldn't use any optionals except maybe the glowmaps, but ?that's just me ). You could do something like High-Res first, followed by Glow Map (so the glowing effect is preserved) and then the new icon (deleting the old .tga one). I personally don't like to use "smoothed meshes", but that's a decision up to you.

?As a general rule, overwriting is... well, overwriting. If you have a Glowmap mesh that overwrites, say, an smoothed mesh, you either pick the glowing effects or the smooth mesh. The only way to get both would be if the author made a smoothed glowmapped mesh. If you add the smooth meshes to the mix (put them first and overwrite them, in order to keep whatever special effects other meshes have), you might end with some meshes smooth and other meshes that aren't (leading to inconsistent looks, which might be distracting... or not).

?Hopefully this is useful.

Kat Lehmann

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:30 am

Ok, about normal maps: Morrowind is an old game and doesn't natively support them. You'll need the http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/19510/? (actually, you need that no matter what, it's the most essential thing for Morrowind ever) and make sure you install the "Bump/Reflect map local lighting" patch from the "- Graphics Changes -" section. This is what makes normal maps kind of work, otherwise objects which use them would always appear very bright. It's not real normal mapping though, just a fake effect that somewhat looks like normal mapping (more about normal mapping here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping. Basically every game newer than Morrowind uses it).

These are high-res textures for the master index and the normal propylon indices that are already in the base game. As it includes a high-res glow map as well, they need to be installed after the glow-mapped folder, or make sure not to overwrite the high-res glow map again.

As I wrote above, it's not. The high-res glow map is in the high-res textures folder.

It's a new icon for the Master Index, yes. And don't worry about the file format, the game automatically prefers .dds files if files with the same name of both types are present. You can also delete the .tga one if you like, but it won't do any harm if you don't.

It's a smoothed (less blocky, more polygons) version of the mesh (the 3D model) of the normal propylon indices.

You always need the default files, and if you want to use some or all of the optional parts install them on top. Make sure to install the high-res textures last.

It doesn't.

Damian Parsons

Return to III - Morrowind