Mesh Making for Morrowind (Skyrim too, if possible)

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:23 am

I'm not sure if this is the right location for this. I'm trying to get my new pc setup to start modding again, and I would like to get a single mesh making setup that will handle both Morrowind and Skyrim. ATM, I have Blender 2.77, and 3ds Max (student edition). I would like to use 3ds Max, if there is a way, and wondered if anyone knew of some good tutorials to figure out how to use this one software for both games' mesh making.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

priscillaaa

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:47 am

Hello and welcome to the community, here's a fishy stick! (I love dead traditions)

I don't know much about mesh creation but I think you can use the programs you already have. People that come to mind that are great at textures and meshes that you could send a private message too for advice include Remiros, Pherim, Hedgehog12 (you can find him active at The Assimilation Lab page) and Autoclock.

Mackenzie

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:22 am

Nice, ty Enclave. I svck at making textures. But, I do love modding. I'm working on a city builder for the strongholds in Morrowind, and when Skywind is finally finished (hopefully someday soon), I'd love to recreate my work there. I haven't posted anything yet, as I'm still rebuilding my resource list to start over... my old pc croaked before it was finished.

Cathrin Hummel

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:44 pm

Also I would like to recommend to look here, but unfortunately all texts are in Russian.
http://www.theassimilationlab.com/forums/files/file/1191-notes-for-modmakers/

And It only for Morrowind.

This is an illustrated collection of notes about the modding which containing a lot number of paragraphs.

Starting from the list about programs for create a new content and ending with articles about creating complex animations for a new creatures.

Yes, I can confirm that HH is now active and be able to consult you about these question.
Just don't tell him that I told you this. :D
Donatus Uwasomba

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:49 am

I'm afraid Russian won't do me very much good. Know any good translating programs.
Kortknee Bell

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:57 pm

I only work with NifSkope. Also, InkBunny and Melchior Dahrk know a bit about Blender.

stephanie eastwood

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:39 am

Unfortunately, there is sill no working NIf plugin for newer Blender versions, and I am beginning to doubt there ever will be... the last supported version is 2.49b, which is VERY old. But you can use a new version of Blender to create your mesh, save it as a Blender file wit "Legacy Mesh Format" enabled, load this file with 2.49b and export it with the Nif Plugin. It's inconvenient, sure, but it works, as long as the meshes are not animated. See here for downloads and details: http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/Blender

3dsMax I don't know for sure, but I heard the situation is better there.

Jake Easom

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:55 am

This works for 3ds max for most stuff, can import/export to both morrowind and skyrim

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5622/?

As for tutorials, for basic mesh making just lookup general tutorials for application of your choice, game specific quirks are needed for more advanced stuff like animations/weightning

Add Me

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:48 am

The Blender nifscripts don't work with Skyrim and you have to take quite a few extra steps for importing and exporting Skyrim-compatible .nifs. If you have 3ds max I would recommend it at least for Skyrim. For Morrowind it's just a matter of which program you feel more comfortable using, but as Pherim already said, newer Blender versions do not support the nifscripts and you have to keep at least 2 installations if you want to work with .nifs. It's not the smoothest workflow, but it's working.

Sun of Sammy

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:32 am

Please forgive, for this small offtop, but I want to say a few thoughts for favour the old versions of the programs. :D

Old games - old soft for them.

I think it is normal, and so much! it is GOOD!

Old soft, like 3d max ver. 4->2009 have a lot of a great tutorials and lessons.

His community have a many forums there are can be found a many interesting hints for beginners and for old users. It can be found easily by any search engine.

Else the Old soft is a great useful and it is have a very comfortable interface with a solid stability of working.

Also the old version of the niftools plugs for 3d max are have an optimisation for Morrowind and may work more perfectly than newest version which have the optimisation under Skyrim.

The 3d Max have a great native help system with tutorials, examples and with detailed description of the various options. It necessarily for looking first!

The Best is the enemy for the Good.

And not need to afraid for old versions of programs. But on the contrary may should to seek for them! Because in some times, they are have the best optimization for the purposes of modding under Morrowind.

About Blender.

The Blender is a very good and powerful program which is being actively developed and gets a lot of new useful options! But in some way it is a weakness for him. (

For example, as has written above honorable mtsr. Pherim, the release of new versions of the plugs for Blender from Niftoolsteam may have a long delay.

All it makes some complicates and slows down the work, especially in the case of a complex model. It's sad, but we will hope for the best!

While it not come to us, will use the old version of the software with the associated plugins. :D
Jennifer May

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:46 pm

Bahamut, are there any significant differences between Morrowind, and Skyrim .nif files?

Ashley Clifft

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:25 am

Yes, there are. They are completely different versions of the file format, as are Oblivion's meshes. Which is not surprising as every new game had an improved engine with new graphics and physics features.

suniti

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:39 pm

Fun. so I also have to learn the differences, so that I don't accidentally break the game...

Tom Flanagan

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:33 am

Yes, if you don't export the mesh in the correct nif version the game will crash. But the exporter should make sure the exported mesh is compatible with the game you selected on export (at least with the Blender plugin), but if it uses features that are not supported by this game, it might still not be exported correctly.

Umpyre Records

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:47 am

Not that much, as Phenrim said, more advanced stuff usualy requires more than just exporting, some nifscoping is required too,

If you want to make some weapons, or statics it should be pretty straightforward, the staris are starting with more advanced stuff like skinned meshes or animations

Kaylee Campbell

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:49 am

Mostly just doing statics. Adding a few structures and some walls with battlements to Bal Isra, some additional walkways to Uvirith's Grave, and a Mesa Verde style cliff city for Odai Cliffs.

All as part of a huge city builder mod...

maria Dwyer

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Well, I'm going to work on learning 3ds Max, while working with Blender. I have the latest and greatest blender, and now have 2.49b. I'm working on getting everything I need for it, but I don't recall exactly what i need for morrowind/Oblivion, or any clue for the workarounds for Skyrim... Maybe this is more headache than it's worth... Nah, well worth it.

I see that Python 2.6.6 is 32-bit only... is that going to be a problem with a 64-bit system?

As of this point, I have

Blender 2.49b

Pyffi 2.2.3

Python 2.6.6

Blender_Nif 2.6.0a

Please correct me if I have the wrong files, or something, before I do something stupid lol.

Mistress trades Melissa

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:00 am

ugh... followed niftools as best I could, and not seeing import/export .nif files in Blender...

Nuno Castro

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:03 am

For Blender 2.49b you need the Nifscripts 2.5.9: https://github.com/niftools/blender_nif_plugin/releases/tag/blender-2.5.9

2.6.0a is for newer versions, but unfortunately far from finished. You also possibly need PyFFI 2.1.11, but I am not certain about that.

Zoe Ratcliffe

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:37 am

Ok. Yep, the nif scripts was the issue... Now it's working, and I can load my nif files. How do I fix the "absolute directory" issue I created with my textures? And... is there a comprehensive, and easily understood walkthrough for using the newer blender to create meshes for Morrowind, and port them down to blender 2.49b, or should i even bother with the newer blender? Same goes for Skyrim?

DeeD

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:37 am

I have a series of meshes i created, that for whatever reason simply do not line up on the typical whole numbers used in Morrowind... Does anyone know, using Blender, what the dimensions should be to fit in properly?

Jeff Tingler

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:00 am

I'm going to keep looking, on the off chance that it is out there, but at the same time, asking experts never hurts... Has anyone made a mesh set for Morrowind to simulate a proper medieval brewery, mill and other such that would be adaptable to native architecture? Obviously Telvanni would be virtually impossible to actually do in the architecture style, but use of outlander style structures there is forgivable.

RUby DIaz

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:53 am

You'd best do that in NifSkope after exporting from Blender.

Well, I don't know about a walkthrough, but for statics it should be enough to check "legacy mesh format" when saving it as a Blender file with the newer version, that way you will be able to open it in 2.49b. Just make sure there are no polygons with more than four edges (n-gons). Whether you should use the newer Blender version at all I cannot really say... there are a lot of new and improved functions over the older version, but many of them are not important for Morrowind modeling, so unless you get to something you could not do with the older version but with the newer one, you might want to stick with 2.49b, at least for now. The UI is also quite different, though in my opinion it is a lot better in the newer versions.

I suppose you are talking about the Construction Set grid that is used for snapping pieces of architecture together? Well, the standard grid setting is 64 units, but most interior tiles are 256 units wide. The average NPC height is 128 units, and 1m translates to about 70 units or 64 units to one yard.

Blender units are translated 1:10 when im- or exporting meshes, so 1 Blender unit is 10 Morrowind units.

lexy

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:22 am

Wow... umm. are those units in CS, or for blender translation to CS?

Kanaoka

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:08 am

Both. If you go to "File-->Preferences" in the CS you can set the grid snap in the upper left corner, it is set to 64 units by default, and most tilesets will probably align nicely to this setting, because they were created with it in mind. The base for all geometry scale in Morrowind appears to be the 128 units as average NPC height. And as I said, 10 Morrowind units translate to 1 Blender unit when ex- or importing meshes.

More about units here: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?title=Oblivion_Units

It is specifically about Oblivion, yes, but much of it applies to Morrowind as well.

Latino HeaT

Next

Return to III - Morrowind