Midwest BoS armour?

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:43 pm

I haven't gotten around to beating FO: Tactics yet, but I was wondering why the Midwestern BoS armor has horns, and if it's more powerful

Thanks.
Marie Maillos

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:58 pm

The Midwestern Power Armor was designed by folks who forgot that Fallout was set in a retro-futuristic setting, so it looks a bit out of place in the setting. The stats are not all that different from the T-51b of Fallout 1/2, and there's an "Advanced Power Armor" variant as well.
Philip Lyon

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:04 am

The Midwestern Power Armor was designed by folks who forgot that Fallout was set in a retro-futuristic setting, so it looks a bit out of place in the setting. The stats are not all that different from the T-51b of Fallout 1/2, and there's an "Advanced Power Armor" variant as well.

Well, I think rather than saying they "forgot" it's better to say "They just didn't care", but probably that's about accurate. Since Fallout: Tactics is considered non-canon though, we cannot even be sure that the armor exists in the "proper" canon.
Inol Wakhid

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:54 am

Well, I think rather than saying they "forgot" it's better to say "They just didn't care", but probably that's about accurate. Since Fallout: Tactics is considered non-canon though, we cannot even be sure that the armor exists in the "proper" canon.

I think the major parts of Fallout: Tactics are considered canon.
GEo LIme

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:02 am

Bethesda is treating the major events of Fallout: Tactics as canon.

The minor stuff... well, we'll have to see!
Annika Marziniak

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:43 pm

Thanks. Either way, I think the Midwestern BoS armor is cooler than the others.
Dean Ashcroft

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Isn't Midwest PA the same thing as vanilla Enclave armor in FO3?
Len swann

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:35 am

Not really, Mid-west power armor is far more polished outlooks and its engineering is far superior and different to the DC Counterpart. Some of the art in Tactics feature power armor with some scavenging done, such as antlers attached for some [censored] reason.

I could be wrong with that one though.
Alexandra walker

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:15 pm

The helmet resembles the Midwestern Power Armor a little bit, but aside from that no. The Fallout 3 Enclave armor doesn't really fit into the retro-future setting either, though; it looks far too futuristic and anime-like. This is doubly obvious when you compare it with the T-51b which does look like it belongs in a retro-future.
Kieren Thomson

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:01 am

The helmet resembles the Midwestern Power Armor a little bit, but aside from that no. The Fallout 3 Enclave armor doesn't really fit into the retro-future setting either, though; it looks far too futuristic and anime-like. This is doubly obvious when you compare it with the T-51b which does look like it belongs in a retro-future.

lol. No wonder I like it so much.
Juliet

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:09 pm

And the Advanced Power Armor from Fallout 2 isn't too futuristic? :huh:
joannARRGH

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:51 pm

yep, and the weapons to (P90, auto shotguns and giant .50 auto snipers).
Melly Angelic

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:41 pm

It was large and clunky, so it felt less futuristic than the Fallout 3 Power Armor. Keep in mind that miniaturization wasn't very advanced in the retro-future Fallout world, and the Enclave's highly advanced Power Armor reflected that in Fallout 2 by being this massive tank sized suit as opposed to being fairly small and human sized like in Fallout 3. It wasn't a perfect design, but it definitely fit the setting much better than the Fallout 3 Enclave Armor does.
Peetay

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:54 am

It was large and clunky, so it felt less futuristic than the Fallout 3 Power Armor. Keep in mind that miniaturization wasn't very advanced in the retro-future Fallout world, and the Enclave's highly advanced Power Armor reflected that in Fallout 2 by being this massive tank sized suit as opposed to being fairly small and human sized like in Fallout 3. It wasn't a perfect design, but it definitely fit the setting much better than the Fallout 3 Enclave Armor does.

i agree
Eddie Howe

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:43 pm

Arguing that miniaturation isn't present in this setting whilst discussing personal armor that turns a rank-and-file infantryman into a walking tank seems rather ridiculous, if you ask me.
Lisha Boo

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:40 pm

I think it would be interesting if they made another Fallout, in the Midwest. Though I did like some of FO: Tactics, the rest wasn't so great. But it was interesting playing as BOS. And maybe they could reintroduce a more retro-50s Mid-western BOS PA? I do like the antlers, kinda gives them the feel that they're apart of the people they protect.
KRistina Karlsson

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:02 pm

Well also you have to realize that APA mk I/II was a POST War model. So the retro-future environment wasn't as big an influance. The Enclave was going for big and scary, and I think they got it right. FO3 they don't look scarry at all it doesn't help that gamesas made a mockery out of PA either.
sophie

Return to Fallout Series Discussion