Mod difficulties.

Post » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi there,

Basically unsure if this is hardware/software or Mod issue. Installed Oblivion using Windows 10 (Previously W7) and have found in the main Oblivion folder in my settings the DXREDIST folder has moved from "Files on the disc" to "files ready to be burned to the disc" - launcher otherwise worked fine so I left it.

Installed NMM (Used a lot a few years ago and never had any problems) and downloaded the "Alternate start by ship" Mod - everything appeared normal in installation - it appeared correctly in the load order on the NMM index. In my Oblivion launcher index under "Data files" however I discovered it had loaded above the main "Oblivion.esm" file - no idea why this happended. The Oblivion.esm file I also found de-activating itself (Appeared un-crossed) every 2-3 times I launched the game - again, unsure why this is. The mod hasn't worked at all and I've no idea what's gone wrong.

Final note - I was attempting to copy onto my Oblivion folder the necessary files for OBSE to work, and i'm not sure if somehow I've basically mucked up the main Oblivion files somehow - I have tried re-installing Oblivion but still fine the DXREDIST folder in the wrong place.

I am using version 0.61.23 of NMM

Thanks for your help! :nope:

?

Cheryl Rice

Post » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi,

- You should use Wrye Bash to manage and install your mods. NMM doesn't work with all Oblivion's mods.

- Oblivion.esm should be loaded first and activated. Alternate Start by Ship after.

- if you play on Steam, There is a "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" option which allows you to verify if files are correctly installed, and if some files are missing, these files will be reinstalled.

Kyra

Post » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:50 am

Yeah, I agree with bevilex. You probably will save yourself some heartache by using Wrye Bash for mod installation and management (or if you're really comfortable with your managing skills, Mod Organizer).

If you are running more than just the one mod (Alternate Start), then consider getting BOSS as well. You won't have any load order issues if you use BOSS.

And I'm not sure I understand your problem with "Files on Disc" and Files Ready to be Burned to Disc". Just install Oblivion as usual from the disc (but be sure to install it outside of the Program Files (or Program Files (x86) if running a 64 bit version of Windows). I'd recommend downloading the latest DirectX 9 runtime from Microsoft (Oblivion includes the necessary files, but I find it to be good "juju" to have the latest released runtime (I believe it's June 2010 -- don't quote me though).

Len swann

Post » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:03 am

Most veteran mod users will advocate for installing Oblivion outside of Program Files or Program Files (x86) due to UAC problems.

It doesn't matter where your Oblivion folder is, otherwise, as long as your Windows registry knows where you've moved it -- you don't have to reinstall completely. Easy fix: Copy the contents of one of the following blurbs into Notepad, depending on which version of Windows you have. Edit the folder path to match wherever you have Oblivion installed. Save the file with the .reg extension. Then right-click the file in Windows Explorer, choose "Merge" from the context menu, and choose "Yes" from the dialog box that appears next.

For 32-bit Windows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion]

"Installed Path"="C:\\Games\\Oblivion\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\1.00.0000]

For 64-bit Windows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion]

"Installed Path"="C:\\Games\\Oblivion\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\1.00.0000]

Note that when specifying the path, you need to use double backslashes ( \\ ) instead of single ones to denote directory structure for .reg files.

I definitely also recommend you switch to Wrye Bash. It has a bit of a learning curve, but the knowledge you gain will be invaluable if you enjoy using or making mods for any Bethesda games, as they are all structured similarly, and there is a version of Bash for all of them. Many of the most popular mods will required you to use it anyway, due to its unique capability to fix compatibility issues with its Bashed Patch. There is an awesome tutorial for Bash http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/35230/?.
Jesus Lopez

Return to IV - Oblivion