monster motivion

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:52 am

Ok so today i did the goblin trouble quest in oblivion, if you cant remember what its about click the link to find out.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Goblin_Trouble

aAnyway i found that to be one of my favorite quests, it made me think that there actually was some depth to the creatures themselves, i believe there was a vault that did this in fallout 3 too, but i think there should be more of it, i spent a good hour on that quest tinkering around with the totems and killing the goblin shamans, it was so nice not just thinking of that race as these killing machines (which is what just about every other monster race does for me at this point).

So basically what i think i'm saying is that i want more depth to monsters, maybe a monster wont decide to attack you for some reason, maybe it'll decide your too powerful and run from you, and (like with the goblins) maybe you killed off its sort of ring leader, and it doesn't know what to do now. I don't know it just feels to much like the whole game is trying to kill you, and i know its suppose to feel like that, but its at a point where pretty much everything that's not in a citys and moving is out to kill you (besides deer), and that's a bit ridiculous.

What do you all think about this?
Brandon Wilson

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:53 pm

You could have a quest with an anthropolgist studying Goblin culture and explaining it to you for a quest, which would humanise them I guess.
Jason King

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:26 am

I'd like to see some of the more intelligent monsters have motivation, and I don't think that all creatures should just straight up attack you either, I think some should ignore, or even run from you, even individuals from the stronger types.
Big mike

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:03 pm

Maybe wolves won't be as aggressive if they're caught alone, but would become much bolder when in packs. Having a creature that would follow the scent of your blood (if you're wounded) may be exciting as well, although it may be quite annoying if trying to get back to a town for healing.
Kitana Lucas

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:38 am

exactly, i dont want any motivation behind a giant rat or mudcrab, but things like wolves shouldnt always attack you
Ysabelle

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 am

I like this idea.

Another example could be a bear ignoring you if you keep your distance, but attacking if you get to close to it's cubs. Stuff like that would really add to the immersion.
Mackenzie

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:39 am

I like this idea.

Another example could be a bear ignoring you if you keep your distance, but attacking if you get to close to it's cubs. Stuff like that would really add to the immersion.

Something like the Bighorns in Fallout : New Vegas? They don't get aggressive unless you attack one of them or get too close, in which case the whole herd will turn against you.
Ashley Tamen

Return to V - Skyrim