Moving a landmass - how do I do it?

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 2:42 pm

The mod I'm working on adds a new landmass, but In order to avoid a conflict with an upcoming Tamriel Rebuilt release, I'd like to move it east of TR map 1 & 2. I'm not concerned with keeping it on the visible map, as the Lore of the landmass has it taking place outside of tamriel, requiring planar portals to get there.

I know there is a program that can be used to move exterior cells - What is it (Tesame?), and how do I use that function? Will it move all of my doormakers and fast-travel markers, or do I have to do those over again? I'll be happy to have it explained, to be pointed to a good tutorial, or to have someone (attn: Cider? hehe) offer to move it for me.

At one point while building my landmass, thin white guidelines showed up at the edge of the exterior cells forming a grid that would allow me to easily determine the edges of the cells I'm using. I've never seen them again, and would like to toggle them back on, as they were useful - how do I do that?

Thanks!!
Angela Woods

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 3:36 am

I think you're looking for http://projectmanager.f2s.com/morrowind/TESfaith.html. I have no idea how to use it though or how well it would work, I'm sure a few people here will know.
Steve Bates

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 11:00 pm

There's also SmartMerger. It should update everything except for anything referenced in scripts. Check out the documentation on http://rtcvb32.001webs.com/SmartMergerDocs/25/move_land.htm.
Far'ed K.G.h.m

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 2:05 am

I think you're looking for http://projectmanager.f2s.com/morrowind/TESfaith.html. I have no idea how to use it though or how well it would work, I'm sure a few people here will know.

That's it.

It's a command prompt utility that requires some more advanced skills but the readme is very helpful, and does the job nicely . IIRC you will need to reset door markers.
Tai Scott

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Well, recently, it claims to be able to do door markers too. Anyway, you can toggle the cell lines by pressing B.
Brittany Abner

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:22 pm

Thank you all for your input so far. Having to reset door markers would be a deal-breaker... I'll look into what Ryu said about the recent version. I have far too many doors and trees to be able to redo door markers in a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, you can toggle the cell lines by pressing B.

I heart you, Ryu. <3
lisa nuttall

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 11:24 pm

There's also SmartMerger. It should update everything except for anything referenced in scripts. Check out the documentation on http://rtcvb32.001webs.com/SmartMergerDocs/25/move_land.htm.

If Faith doesn't work, I'll check that out, but I looked at it once and had no clue what I was doing. I've only been modding for 4 months, so I'm still absorbing everything that TES CS can do (Hard work, but I pretty much have it down now.) Thank you for the document link - I'm basically a modding info sponge lately, lol.
A Boy called Marilyn

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Thank you all for your input so far. Having to reset door markers would be a deal-breaker... I'll look into what Ryu said about the recent version. I have far too many doors and trees to be able to redo door markers in a reasonable amount of time.

I heart you, Ryu. <3
:tongue: I guess I was the only one who caught that request, huh?
JR Cash

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 10:30 pm

:tongue: I guess I was the only one who caught that request, huh?

Don't know, I'm hunting wasps IRL. But now that I see it I'll comment.

I'm not so sure about TESFaith, but as far as I know SmartMerger moves door markers, teleports, lands, items, etc. Everything in a cell that can be moved is moved to it's appropriate location (And if it doesn't, let me know with a clear small example so I can hopefully fix it); Course for that to work the other way it finds all references to the moved cell(s) and updates them accordingly too (oh Joy!).

Some problems occasionally rise due to moves, but those are usually fixed by recompiling all scripts. (Mind you get farther from the center and the less accurate it will be (due to 32bit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_precision limitations). And SmartMerger also is a command-line tool, however you can do most of the work in the scripted GUI, and then add in the extra commands in the little dynamic text box.
Benji

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 3:50 am

I only have experience (long ago) with Tesfaith. It does a pretty good job moving stuff. As mentioned door markers can be a bit hit and miss you definitely have to check the external ones. A tip to fix them sort of quickly is to high-light all the door markers you can in one go and then move them all together. This is easy to do because after you move the landmass the door markers are the only things left in the original cell(s). As long as you select them all and move them all together at the same time you only really need to line up one at the new destination because their relative positions to each other and the doors they're attached to is still the same.... At least I think that's what I found, was a long time ago so my memory's a bit fuzzy.

One other thing I found as well is if you have have any scripts that move the player or stuff around, like a teleport, you need to recompile all scripts in the construction kit for the new esp for them to get updated also.

Good luck

kwm
des lynam

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Make sure you use the latest alpha version of TesFaith (.97a) and not the older one (.95 or earlier). Abot hosts it on his sitehttp://abot-morrowind.tk/index.php?option=weblinks&catid=53&Itemid=2&-Morrowind-modding-tools. This version will change teleport scripts and such (as well as doors).
Gisela Amaya

Post » Wed May 02, 2012 5:03 pm

If you have scripts commands referring to cell coordinates (position/positioncell and the like), probably TesFaith is needed.
Get the last known 0.97alpha version as explained by Pinkertonius.

Before trying to move cells, be sure to have each exterior cell you want to move assigned to a region (new and unique regions for your mod), this way usually tesfaith works better.

I use http://timeslip.users.sourceforge.net/morrow.html mod display map before/after tesfaith to check for conflicts with other mods, decide mod movement offsets, see movement result, it helps a lot (don't use Tesfaith# to move, last tesfaith is better at it).

Copy your mod (e.g. keening.esp) to the folder where tesfaith.exe and tfaith.cfg are.
Edit the tfaith.cfg. You can comment old tfaith.cfg lines with # prefix. In the example below, I commented out lines moving another mod, and assumed moving a keening.esp file 20 cells to the east and 10 cells to the south. I suggest you give TR commands starting from the regions less distant to destination cell, this way you should minimize overlapping while moving cells problems risk.
# tesfaith "Rahj.esp"tesfaith "keening.esp"# TR, "Rahji Volcanos", 23 ,-35# TR, "Black Lake", 23 ,-35# TR, "Herpelymbes Plains", 23 ,-35# TR, "Atoll Path", 23 ,-35# TR, "Elnagor", 23 ,-35# TR, "Nagor", 23 ,-35TR, "keeningregionID1", 20 ,-10# ....TR, "keeningregionID5", 20 ,-10

After running tesfaith.exe, look at the tfthlog.txt log file.
Total Script Commands modified/Scripts found: 0/307
If modified scripts are > 0, you need to recompile all (if modified scripts are 0, you can skip pass 2 below, or try smartmerger)
1. copy Tfout.esp back to your Morrowind\Data Files folder
2. Load your moved mod copy (Tfout.esp) in the CS with all needed .esm masters (I'm assuming your mod is dependant on both Tribunal.esm and Bloodmoon.esm, if not follow http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:GMST_Contamination and use GMST vaccine), Gameplay\Edit Scripts, Scripts\Recompile All (do this 2 times to be sure global scripts are compiled correctly), save your mod, do the usual cleaning.
Oh, and if everything went well,
3. rename Tfout.esp/change it to .esm if needed from Mash.
[EDIT]typos, explanation, example
[EDIT2]changed from "to the north" to "to the south"
N Only WhiTe girl

Post » Thu May 03, 2012 5:25 am

Thanks, Abot - I'll attempt this within a week or so and if I have any issues I'll be back with questions.
Nichola Haynes

Return to III - Morrowind