Need Help with Retexturing Creature

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:23 pm

SOLVED: THANK YOU!

So I've been working on two creature companion mods and can get them to work fine for me, but the texture path is apparently set to my directory, so it's not working for other people. How do I set the textures to make them work right for everyone?

The paths for mine are:

C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files\Meshes\prix

C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files\Textures\prix

How do I do this in Nifskope?

This is my first time modding, so any and all advice and help are welcome!

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4597520-two-new-creature-companions-need-testers/

Trevor Bostwick

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:10 pm

Hi Natakito and welcome to the forums!

To make the textures work for other people you need to change absolute paths to relative. So if you have the texture set to

C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files\Textures\prix\mytexture.dds

you just need to change it to

Textures\prix\mytexture.dds

It is easy to do in NifScope. If you already have the texture assigned with absolute path, just double click the path in nifscope. The field should become editable. Then you just erase the unwanted part and hit enter. Then save the changes by clicking on Save and you are done.

carly mcdonough

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:47 pm

Ah, thank you so much, Reaper! I didn't see those paths before (I kept switching screens as I was working on stuff and the resizing of the object window covered that part up.)

Now someone to test it with... :3

*Chloe*

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:13 am

If you post link to the meshes I can check them out.

KIng James

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:58 pm

Sure, https://www.dropbox.com/s/851rj7w45i34q86/Cliff%20Racer%20Companion%20v1.1.zip?dl=0. ^^

And, man, is this gonna sound so lame, but how do you know when someone replies to you? (Besides just looking at the thread and seeing if they're addressing you.)

Mark

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:37 pm

Checked, the textures are assigned correctly.

I don't think there is other way than checking your thread. Perohaps in settings there is option to get mail about it? I honestly don't know, I better just check the forum than have mailbox full of mail :)

Kitana Lucas

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:22 am

Thank you very much for helping me out on this! I really do appreciate it. The only other problem I was having was with cleaning the file.

And ah, okay. Just curious if I was missing something.

Tha King o Geekz

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:53 pm

Welcome to the forums :)

Danny Blight

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:28 pm

I just checked your plugin and it is ALMOST perfectly clean. I guess you used tes3cmd? Using tes3cmd is the best step you can take in cleaning as it is able to clean most dirty stuff that can be cleaned automatically. For the rest, download Enchanted Editor. It is low-level editor that allows you to take a look at your plugin in absolute detail. You can also easily manipulate it's contents and thus remove unwanted edits (= dirty references). The only dirty reference you have there is edit to one dialogue line. tes3cmd unfortunatelly does not catch this. Just open your mod in EE, find the dirty reference (in left column -> dialog and check them one by one). After you find it, check the checkbox next to it in the left column and hit delete button in approx the middle of the screen, at top. It will remove the reference from the mod. Then save the mod and you are done :) Another dirty edit that tes3cmd cannot catch is if you accidentaly modify vanilla ref (good example: you are creating house mod and when building it in CS you accidentaly move one rock by tiny bit - tes3cmd looks at your mod and compares it to vanilla objects. It looks at the rock and it will see that position is different from vanilla = you actually modified it = preserve the change. Example 2: You want to crete new container, so you look at another vanilla container for inspiration, but you accidentaly remove object from the container). These cases have to be picked by hand in Enchanted editor. It is quite easy with most stuff like NPC edits, container edits, etc., but problematic if you modify cell edit (that is what I described as example 1), as it requires going through cell reference in EE and look at which objects are there one by one.

And one last thing. I believe that TESTool is able to clean dialogue dirty refs automatically, but I have actually never tried it yet.

Calum Campbell

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:19 pm

I did use TES3cmd, but I also have EE. I am NOT familiar with it, but now that I know what to look for, it's not that bad XD So I found the offending reference; it's in Greeting 5. How do I get rid of just that one part in Greeting 5? Where it says "Record Info ##...." above it, do I hit that X to delete it? I don't want to do that without knowing first. You've been a big help!

Bird

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:29 pm

http://imgur.com/RZk2rhx

First you select any records you want to work with using the checkboxes (red arrow). As soon as you select anything, "Marked entry actions" panel will appear (red circle). Now you just hit "Delete marked". Also you can do a lot more stuff in EE. For example, you can transfer records between mods. Just open more plugins and you will be able to swich between them in panel circled in blue. Using the marked entry actions panel, you can then copy-paste records between them.

Undisclosed Desires

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:58 pm

Much easier than I thought it would be! Great, seems like my mod is ready to go, now! ^^ I know I keep thanking you, but as I'm pretty green, I really do appreciate you going out of your way to assist me. Now I know these for future reference and can clean up my other companion mod, and I hope to make many more based off of this one. Not enough creature companions.

And thank you for the welcome, Danae, as well as for pointing me in this direction!

мistrєss

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:43 pm

No problem, that's why this subforum is here after all :) I look forward to see more of your mods. You can also drop by in MW Mods subsection here as I believe gamesas MW community is still more alive than Nexus one. You can see what others are working on and more.

Hazel Sian ogden

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:14 pm

I just uploaded my other companion mod (I think I remembered what to do correctly.) And I will have to do that! I haven't traversed these forums besides what I'm doing here. I always enjoy seeing what other cool things people come up with. ^^

Kahli St Dennis

Return to III - Morrowind