Needed Improvements to the Site

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:22 pm

1) Legacy members should get some sort of recognition. I've been with gamesas since 2008, I feel it's a huge kick in the balls to have all my posts and join date removed.

2) I'd really appreciate an alternate view format to the main thread listings. I get the whole box look is stylized, but I find it to be less functional than a more traditional forum layout.

3) Avatars. Why can't we upload our own? I understand when the guy is looking away the person is offline and when they're looking at you they're online - pretty clever. But I don't like being just another nanosuit, I want my kirby avatar back. Was it ever considered people may not want want the nanosuit to be their avatar?

4) Old posts? gamesas had a few years of great posts, lots of tech support, custom config files, work arounds etc. That stuff should be rescued!
Vivien

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Hey Weaver,

I've been part of the old site too, although I haven't got a high post count like yourself. I think the web-team have got the posts backed up, it'd be wrong to just remove them.

But then again, if our old accounts still exist, I assume you guys, who have been here longer than I, will be a recognized member, nonetheless.

In a topic made by the staff, they said everything is coming together slowly, so we should be able to soon have a chance add a signature and avatar once more.

Hope this helps you mate. :)
N Only WhiTe girl

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:41 am

I guess we should also put some kind of ability to edit posts, because this one got made 4 times O_O
Carolyne Bolt

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:52 pm

well i like that everyone has the same avatar (which kills its purpose by the way) it goes with the style of the page and i dont like it when some avatar destroyes overall image - but i see your point
i have no need to see anyone else's avatar (in fact i hate it), i also hate all those pictures people can put in their posts and banners and everything it just makes the thread messy, ineffective and wastes my time when i have to scroll
SUGGESTION:setting allowing turning on and off showing avatars and if crytec wants to make impression by the look of their page just leave showing avatars turned off by default
Craig Martin

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:44 pm

I can think of many ways to improve this site.

1. No wrapper div? For widescreen displays the site is hard left, why no wrapper div with auto margins to centre it?

2. Allow me to open threads in tabs. The current thread boxes dont allow me to click the middle mouse button and open multiple threads at the same time.

3. Agree with Weaver about the avatars. How are we supposed to have unique forum identities?

4. Kind of agree with the post count because it signifies that some members have been members for a long time.
Rusty Billiot

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Yeah I agree regocnition of some sort for the 'oldies' would be nice :P site is still really slow for me D:
Zualett

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:20 pm

[quote]I can think of many ways to improve this site.

1. No wrapper div? For widescreen displays the site is hard left, why no wrapper div with auto margins to centre it?

2. Allow me to open threads in tabs. The current thread boxes dont allow me to click the middle mouse button and open multiple threads at the same time.

3. Agree with Weaver about the avatars. How are we supposed to have unique forum identities?

4. Kind of agree with the post count because it signifies that some members have been members for a long time.[/quote]

Hey Ali :)

If you middle click on the actual word "discuss" on the thread box thing, you can tab them. Post count doesn't REALLY matter that much to me, but some kind of notice like "hey, you've been with us for years, good work" or whatever would be really appreciated. I'm more concerned that this site will still remain the official Crysis community, and if someone has technical issues with the original Crysis in the future it would be great to have all those old tech support posts as an available resource.

I totally agree with the widescreen thing. I'm running a 1080p monitor and I could fit the site twice the width of my screen. There's so much dead space it's a little silly.
Robert Jackson

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:12 pm

I am also browsing on a 1080p TV. I took it upon myself to add a wrapper div to the HTML and added the CSS in the stylesheet to centre it and it worked perfectly fine. The dead space is fine because you can't design a site for anything above 1024x768 really but it needs to be centred on sites with a higher resolution.
Emma-Jane Merrin

Post » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:20 am

[quote]I am also browsing on a 1080p TV. I took it upon myself to add a wrapper div to the HTML and added the CSS in the stylesheet to centre it and it worked perfectly fine. The dead space is fine because you can't design a site for anything above 1024x768 really but it needs to be centred on sites with a higher resolution.[/quote]
Couldn't we just have width = 100% and we're off to the races?

Seconding that, yes centering is fine by me.
chloe hampson

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:55 pm

You could, but I'd rather they didn't do that. Too much potential to break the design with that and the composition of the text and other content. I don't think the divs have specified widths so the content wouldn't sit right. The footer is 100%, they'd rather not have the content spill across the page it seems.

I'm such the designer had a reason, but I would still like to see a wrapper to centre it.
Amy Smith

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:53 am

[quote]You could, but I'd rather they didn't do that. Too much potential to break the design with that and the composition of the text and other content. I don't think the divs have specified widths so the content wouldn't sit right. The footer is 100%, they'd rather not have the content spill across the page it seems.

I'm such the designer had a reason, but I would still like to see a wrapper to centre it.[/quote]
Well, you're the master designer here, not me :P

I do hope it gets centered, I just realized I'm literally leaning on my desk to the left right now lol.
Latisha Fry

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:27 pm

I'm in ur threadz...

1) Center or widen this ****.
2) Replace naughty words with little pictures of Cevat.
3) Name and post fonts are too small and not easily identifiable enough: Having to take an effort to find who posted a post because the names are so tiny is no fun, especially when reading the posts themselves is hard work already.
4) Boards really need to be listed like a normal forum, because it's easier to go through threads in one direction than in two.
5) Learn from the Steam forums: having no avatars and signatures causes users to focus more on what they contribute to the forum instead of their reputation, resulting in a much more high quality forum filled with great posts!
6) Seeing some of the first post in a thread when hovering over it in the thread listing is really nice, I think, but you need to continue seeing the thread title when mousing over because it's easily and quickly forgotten when browsing fast.
maya papps

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:50 pm

I would think there working on the Avatars to put in at official launch, plus alot of other improvements / finishes to the site
Brian LeHury

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:57 pm

I don't really care about post counts or anything like that (although I can understand why some people with thousands of posts would), but I do think there was some very valuable info that should be archived.
Mike Plumley

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:40 pm

or some speed things...
Ludivine Dupuy

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:34 pm

another point:

BB code is needed!!!

also a PM system would be nice...

Flamers
Jaylene Brower

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:53 pm

Let's just take the site down and try again in a few days.
rolanda h

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:11 pm

^Though I guess they want this thing ready for E3 :S
Nicole M

Post » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:21 pm

Here's hoping they don't stop improving the site; it'll serve as a good test to see if Crytek really changed as they seem to have.

Also, a thread for everything about the site would be nice.
Beat freak

Return to Crysis