North American Oblivion patch failing to install

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:06 pm

I just reinstalled my copy of Oblivion (North American version bought at launch, so it's version 1.0.0). I've installed it on this computer and was able to patch it once, but that was at least two years ago; I'm using the same computer, but have had to reinstall everything since then after getting it repaired, so there aren't any "lingering" files from my first installation.

The installation of Oblivion went just fine, but whenever I try to install the patch (North American v1.2.0416), the patcher stays at 0% and shows up in Task Manager as "Not Responding" after about 30 seconds. I don't have Shivering Isles and am not using a no-cd patch; I've literally just installed Oblivion and not touched it since, aside from running it once in case it needed to run diagnostics for the patch to work. I have tried reinstalling Oblivion, redownloading the patch, and running the patch from a clean boot and as the system administrator with no change.

Help would be greatly appreciated. If you don't know of anything that would help to get the installer to work, is there another method for installing the patch (e.g., another type of installer that can be used, or would copying files and doing some manual editing be a possibility?)?

Edit: I just tried installing an earlier patch (1.1.511) and it didn't work either, so it appears to be a problem with the installer and not the patch itself - which seemed like the obvious option, but thought I'd get confirmation nonetheless. Is there any third-party program that is necessary for RTPatch to work? Could my something like my firewall be preventing it from working? (I doubt its the firewall itself; I've had no popup, and the firewall was off when I tried running the patch from a clean boot.)
james tait

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Where did you download the patch from ?? -- and are you on VISTA\Win7 with the game installed to the Program files folder ?

IF you downloaded from anywhere but the official site try downloading again and retry patching (you might have gotten a corrupted download) -- IF on Vista\Win7 and installed to the default location - the game patch will not have proper security level to change the game files so will not patch properly if you are not on the Admin account or have UAC disabled ( windows increased the security level to keep virii from changing your program files and thus the patch can not get access to modify your files without the proper security given to it - This is why it is suggested to install instead to another folder instead of the Program Files folder esp. if you plan to add or create mods as they will have problems accessing files as well !!)
Lucie H

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Thanks for the help, but still no progress. :(

Where did you download the patch from ?? -- and are you on VISTA\Win7 with the game installed to the Program files folder ?

First I tried the official site. When that didn't work, I redownloaded from others. In all cases the patcher displays the same behavior.

I'm using XP, and the game is installed to Program Files.

IF you downloaded from anywhere but the official site try downloading again and retry patching (you might have gotten a corrupted download) -- IF on Vista\Win7 and installed to the default location - the game patch will not have proper security level to change the game files so will not patch properly if you are not on the Admin account or have UAC disabled ( windows increased the security level to keep virii from changing your program files and thus the patch can not get access to modify your files without the proper security given to it - This is why it is suggested to install instead to another folder instead of the Program Files folder esp. if you plan to add or create mods as they will have problems accessing files as well !!)

I'm using the Admin acount and have also tried using Run As Administrator on the patch to be sure. I take it that this problem doesn't exist on XP? And even if it did, the fact that I'm using the Admin account means it shouldn't make a difference. Still, I'll try reinstalling outside of Program Files and report back.
Nicholas C

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:45 am

YOu are getting the correct patch correct ? -- On the official downloads it is not the first one listed (that is for those with Shivering Isles installed !) but is the one further down the page that says :

OBLIVION PATCH v1.2.0416
Oblivion_v1.2.0416English.exe(5.1 MB) 04/30/2007
This patch is for North American (English) versions.

This patch is NOT compatible with copies purchased via direct2drive or localized versions of Oblivion.

Please Note: You do not need to install this patch if you have already Installed the Shivering Isles expansion.

View patch release notes

maddison

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:14 am

YOu are getting the correct patch correct ? -- On the official downloads it is not the first one listed (that is for those with Shivering Isles installed !) but is the one further down the page that says :

Yes, that's the one I've downloaded; I remember scrolling down the page to it, and more to the point, the name of the file on my computer is "Oblivion_v1.2.0416English".

And I don't think I mentioned it, but I am using a boxed copy (Collector's Edition, though I don't think it makes any difference), not a D2D copy.

Edit: I've just tried it on another computer (newer, so it has Windows 7, but not designed for gaming, so I'm not sure if or how well Oblivion will run on it). The patch is working there. I'm going to try copying my Oblivion folder from that computer to this one (as far as I know, Oblivion just has a CD-check and no other DRM, so it should work unless the patch edits the registry or other things outside of the folder). I'm doing it now; I'll report back on whether it works or not.
Natalie Taylor

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:35 pm

Yes, that's the one I've downloaded; I remember scrolling down the page to it, and more to the point, the name of the file on my computer is "Oblivion_v1.2.0416English".

And I don't think I mentioned it, but I am using a boxed copy (Collector's Edition, though I don't think it makes any difference), not a D2D copy.

What version number does it show in the bottom left of the options screen (one with the Load - etc. choices) - and do you have Shivering Isles or KOTN ?
P PoLlo

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:46 am

Just finished copying everything, so I'm not sure, but I think it was something like 1.0.226 (I was mistaken earlier when I said 1.0.0, that was the version of the launcher). Also, no KotN or SI, just the base Oblivion and nothing else.

So far, the version I copied from the other PC seems to be working just fine; I'm not sure how exactly to verify that the patch is working, will check the notes for something to test. Although there's still obviously some sort of issue with the patcher and my computer, for all intents and purposes I'd say this problem is solved.
Jordan Fletcher

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:49 am

I'm not sure how exactly to verify that the patch is working,

Just look at the bottom left corner of the options screen when launching the game and it will tell you what version is running - if it is patched it will show the correct 1.2.0416
Lisa Robb

Return to IV - Oblivion