NPCs don't speak when face to face

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:18 am

I got a copy of Oblivion earlier today from the internet since I lost my original copy, and got a bunch of mods for it. Unfortunately, after starting the game, I soon discovered that whenever I would talk to an NPC, they didn't talk back. Their text showed up fine, but absolutely no sound. I could hear them just fine otherwise, out in the world, but face to face nothing. After reinstalling a couple times and clearing out what I thought was everything associated with it, I kept having the same problem, so I decided to svck it up and just drop the $20 for the GOTY edition off of steam. Turns out, I'm still having the exact same problem.

TL;DR the NPCs don't have sound when talking to them.
jessica Villacis

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:02 am

I got a copy of Oblivion earlier today from the internet since I lost my original copy, and got a bunch of mods for it. Unfortunately, after starting the game, I soon discovered that whenever I would talk to an NPC, they didn't talk back. Their text showed up fine, but absolutely no sound. I could hear them just fine otherwise, out in the world, but face to face nothing. After reinstalling a couple times and clearing out what I thought was everything associated with it, I kept having the same problem, so I decided to svck it up and just drop the $20 for the GOTY edition off of steam. Turns out, I'm still having the exact same problem.

TL;DR the NPCs don't have sound when talking to them.

Sometimes this bug happens to me on the ps3 but never on the pc and xbox 360.
James Baldwin

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Sometimes this bug happens to me on the ps3 but never on the pc and xbox 360.

Any idea what to do about it?
Rebecca Clare Smith

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:59 am

Any idea what to do about it?

First of all is your game the english version?(it probably is)Did you check the games voice files to see if the actual files themselves work?look in the games data folder and have a look at all of the sub folders in the sound folder.Do you have any mods?
MarilĂș

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Try going into your speaker settings in windows, make sure it's set to what speaker setup you actually have. For example if you have a 5.1 setup (two speakers and a subwoofer), if it's set to surround sound then the game sometimes plays the voices out of a speaker channel that doesn't exist.
Schel[Anne]FTL

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:51 pm

Try going into your speaker settings in windows, make sure it's set to what speaker setup you actually have. For example if you have a 5.1 setup (two speakers and a subwoofer), if it's set to surround sound then the game sometimes plays the voices out of a speaker channel that doesn't exist.

That is the most likely cause -- the conversations are played through the Center channel speaker on a 5:1 setup and with just 2 speakers or 2:1 (2 speakers and a sub) you do not have a center channel speaker thus you do not hear the sounds played through that speaker !!
Lily Evans

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:00 pm

That is the most likely cause -- the conversations are played through the Center channel speaker on a 5:1 setup and with just 2 speakers or 2:1 (2 speakers and a sub) you do not have a center channel speaker thus you do not hear the sounds played through that speaker !!

That seems to be the problem. I was going through to double check the speakers(5.1 setup), and the center and sub aren't producing any sound under the windows test, which is odd because the sub at least works fine otherwise. Any idea what could be causing this? I'm also going to check out some hardware forums to see if they can help, but I figure since I'm already here I may as well ask.

EDIT: Fixed! All I had to do was reinstall my audio drivers, and it worked fine!
Assumptah George

Return to IV - Oblivion