Oblivion crashes as I launch it

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:27 pm

Yeah, well, since recently, Oblivion was running perfectly(minus a few minor gameplay issues, but w/e). And I don't know what caused it, but the next time I ran it, the game just showed up as a small black box on the top left corner of the screen, and then closed. I tried reinstalling everything(Removed EVERYTHING, including the mods, because it wouldn't remove them the first time I tried), and the same thing happened. I installed a few mods before actually trying to run the newly-reinstalled Oblivion, but Idk if they're the problem. Help please?
xx_Jess_xx

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:03 pm

It doesn't sound to me as if your system is good enough (strong enough) to add any "Mods" at all, other than the so-called performance mods. Let's see your system summary report, and operating system summary, right? (Outline provided below)

Basic Hardware Specification Chart (Empty so far)

Processor Manufacturer: AMD / Intel
Processor Name / Type: Athlon 64 / Pentium / C2D / dual core / quad, etc.
Processor Speed: ?.? Ghz (or AMD Performance Number)
Operating System / Service Pack: WindowsXP with SP #?, Win7, Vista ? (Oh, no!)
System RAM: ? ? GBs (MBs, if less than 1024 ? )
Video (GPU) Manufacturer: ATI / Nvidia (only those two are supported, PERIOD, so please answer which of them you have)
Video Card Model: (examples) Radeon HD 5670 / Geforce GT 240
Video Card Driver Version: Catalyst ?.? / Nforce ??.??
. . (please use the numbers, not the word "latest")
Video Card onboard RAM: ? ? ? MBs
Sound Card Manufacturer:
Sound Card Model:

(And this is only for the raw hardware & driver variations. Potential software conflicts are far more likely to be game play problems, and developers cannot test for all possible program loads.)

Some of the techno-geek folks here will ask for a complete DxDiag Report, which seems like real SUPER overkill from my point of view.

P. S. Please use every day business style paragraph breaks, punctuation, and spelling.

This amounts to a "fill in the blanks" form, including the P.S.
Claudz

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:35 am

Well, sorry, I usually just type everything out, not really trying to organize my post so that people can read it easier(If that's what you're trying to say), but I don't think it's a problem of how good my computer is, and although I'm incredibly stupid when it comes to finding the specifications/properties/w.e of a computer, but my computer is fairly(About 5 or so weeks old? idk), but yeah, it's pretty new. And sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say or anything. Also, I'm afraid I have no idea what business style paragraph breaks, punctuation and spelling are.
JLG

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:49 pm

Please post a dxdiag:
Start - Run (if Vista or Win 7, the search box acts like Run) - type dxdiag - hit Enter - "save all info" button - open txt file and copy/paste EVERYTHING here

Picture of process: http://www.windowsresource.net/cimages/gotodxdiag.jpg
D IV

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:55 am

Nvm, problem solved, apparently had something to do with Deadly Reflex actually requiring the Horse Combat file even though it's disabled. Sorry for the trouble.
Naazhe Perezz

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:42 am

Please post a dxdiag:
Start - Run (if Vista or Win 7, the search box acts like Run) - type dxdiag - hit Enter - "save all info" button - open txt file and copy/paste EVERYTHING here

Picture of process: http://www.windowsresource.net/cimages/gotodxdiag.jpg

I'm not going to read one of those, myself, which is why I never ask anyone to include one. Meanwhile, for the author of this thread, just because *YOU* think you want a second message thread is not an adequate reason to clutter up the forum with multiple threads, considering you already have a current, active thread that you haven't finished answering yet.

Gorath
Hilm Music

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:38 am

Simple, Computers are gay(joking). You need to spend tons of money to properly play games. Anyway Oblivion is a very buggy game, I've seen people with gaming rigs have similar problems to yours. Just play the console version for now to avoid frustration and destruction(I destroyed a Laptop while trying to play Morrowind). Add me on PSN: smudgey5000, I like to talk about annoying PC problems and Oblivion, Fallout 3.

No you don't. I built my own PC for less than $450 and it plays a modded Oblivion and Fallout 3 with little to no crashing or problems. It isn't hard to get things working correctly, you just have to pay attention to what others have gone through before you. Follow the advice on the forums and set-up your computer properly. I can count on both hands the TOTAL amount of times Oblivion or FO3 has crashed for me.
An Lor

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:11 pm

No you don't. I built my own PC for less than $450 and it plays a modded Oblivion and Fallout 3 with little to no crashing or problems. It isn't hard to get things working correctly, you just have to pay attention to what others have gone through before you. Follow the advice on the forums and set-up your computer properly. I can count on both hands the TOTAL amount of times Oblivion or FO3 has crashed for me.

Building a PC is not possible for me at the moment. I do not know how and don't know anybody who does. I am learning about computer hardware at school and we will probably get into building PCs, I want to make sure I know what I am doing first. So now my only options are to get a new PC or upgrade my current.
DAVId Bryant

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:53 am

Building a PC is not possible for me at the moment. I do not know how and don't know anybody who does. I am learning about computer hardware at school and we will probably get into building PCs, I want to make sure I know what I am doing first. So now my only options are to get a new PC or upgrade my current.

It isn't hard. There are tons of videos on youtube that will show you how. It was the first one I ever built too, and it was very far from being "hard" or "not possible." I will never buy a prebuilt system again. Such a waste of money and you never get exactly what you want.

EDIT: Watch this guys videos. He shows you everything step by step (except a video card, but that is just plug and play) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdTTlcdPqTg
Nitol Ahmed

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:29 am

I'm not going to read one of those, myself, which is why I never ask anyone to include one. Meanwhile, for the author of this thread, just because *YOU* think you want a second message thread is not an adequate reason to clutter up the forum with multiple threads, considering you already have a current, active thread that you haven't finished answering yet.

Gorath

I don't think I've seen you make a post where you aren't a dike.
Brooks Hardison

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:10 am

Nvm, problem solved, apparently had something to do with Deadly Reflex actually requiring the Horse Combat file even though it's disabled. Sorry for the trouble.

Problem solved.
Sarah Bishop

Return to IV - Oblivion