Oblivion Crashes at Startup (Vista)

Post » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I've been trying to get into TES lately and the relationship isn't exactly working right now.

Hopefully I can explain it so you can imagine it.:

At first it is fine. I double click the icon to get the launcher (I have clicked every icon to launch Oblivion, both launcher and just the straight game) and the launcher or game starts up fine. I get the black box in the corner showing it is working and the the screen goes black to start up the actual game. (with the launcher, I press play game. No mods or anything.)

So everything is working fine, and the beginning logos show up before it loads the menus and so on. But, usually before the First Bethesda logo finishes (Bethesda, a Zenimax company) the games stops, flashes twice with two black screens (Showing the program closing) and then a pop-up saying:

"Oblivion has stopped working.
-Search for a solution online and close the application
-Close the application"

So I'm wondering what do I do? I did install Oblivion on this computer one time before this one, but I had to delete it due to space reasons. Is that part of the problem?
Karen anwyn Green

Post » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Might be lack of sufficient hardware. Please post a dxdiag:
Start - Run (if Vista, the search box acts like Run) - type dxdiag - hit Enter - "save all info" button - open txt file and copy/paste EVERYTHING here

Picture of process: http://www.windowsresource.net/cimages/gotodxdiag.jpg
Dark Mogul

Post » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:41 am

Might be lack of sufficient hardware. Please post a dxdiag:
Start - Run (if Vista, the search box acts like Run) - type dxdiag - hit Enter - "save all info" button - open txt file and copy/paste EVERYTHING here

Picture of process: http://www.windowsresource.net/cimages/gotodxdiag.jpg

I can't see it being a hardware problem, considering I've played many hours of the game. It's just that it won't work now that I've reinstalled it. I've gotten it to work on startup by running XP comp, turning off visual themes, and running as admin. But now it crashes whenever I get to the part where the Emperor's guard get attacked for the first time. Ugghhh

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/9/2011, 16:47:43
Machine name: GARRETT-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista? Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: eMachines
System Model: EL1210-09
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon™ Processor LE-1620, ~2.4GHz
Memory: 1790MB RAM
Page File: 1835MB used, 1996MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8200
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8200
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_084B&SUBSYS_01531025&REV_A2
Display Memory: 882 MB
Dedicated Memory: 243 MB
Shared Memory: 639 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7530 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Gemma Archer

Post » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:46 am

As a Vista user myself, you do not need to run an XP compatability mode for Oblivion, You want to install Oblivion outside of Program files to avoid UAC. You want your C: drive to look similiar to this,

Games <--- Oblivion should be installed in a user made folder like this
Intel
Program Files <--- This is not a good place to install any games or Steam, because of UAC on Windows Vista and 7
Users <--- Your saved games and your ini are in here
Windows

In Users\"your name"\Documents\My Games\Oblivion There is a file named Oblivion - This is your Configuration Settings (ini), you can delete this or rename it to Backup and the next time you start Oblivion, the game will generate a new file for you. The new file may cause you to have the lowest screen resolution, but you can reset this in Options in the game to get a better screen resolution and decent graphics settings.
Your PC has an innsufficient amount of RAM for running a lot of mods, Vista can use more than 1Gb, and Oblivion needs at least half a Gigabyte itself.
brandon frier

Return to IV - Oblivion