Oblivion Stutter Remover

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:32 am

I've installed this to try and stop the few stutters that happen during my game play but.. after installing I'm not so sure theres any difference. I've installed it into obse/plugins folder as directed but I'm not sure if it's working. Would I be better of deleting and using streamline?
Jonny

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:29 pm

Make sure you also have the latest OBSE.
Aliish Sheldonn

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:43 am

Yes I do indeed have the latest obse as well. :goodjob:
Janette Segura

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:26 am

If you don't notice the difference you're missing something...
And there is an official thread if you want to ask questions: http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1074487
Beulah Bell

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:35 pm

Yeah, something's not right. You should notice a difference. Be sure to look at the .ini in the \plugins folder and adjust.
josie treuberg

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:23 am

Yes...

Streamline 3.1 I found to be rather pointless in using for FPS improvement and smoothness of OB gaming. I get better results by only using OSR 4.1 for FPS improvement. However, I am using Streamline for the Streamsight in-game distance fog, but ONLY for that. Any yes, the OSR thread is highly recommended for reading.
Dan Stevens

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:23 am

If you don't notice a difference, the most likely cause is that you modified your Oblivion.ini, probably following some sort of performance tweak guide or something. Many such guides advise modifying your settings in such a way as to minimize multithreading in Oblivion. This makes sense in the absence of OSR, because The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the greatest game in the history of the universe. at multithreading. OSR modifies Oblivion to make it not svck at multithreading anymore, but if Oblivion.ini settings are already adjusted to minimize multithreading then that won't help.

So, try reverting to vanilla Oblivion.ini settings, see if that helps.

OSR also makes some improvements that are not multithreading related, notably the 64 Hertz fix and hashtable resizing, but the 64 Hertz fix has subtle enough impact that some people won't notice it, and hashtable resizing is disabled by default and also has a relatively subtle impact.

edit:
The other common cause is using the wrong version of Oblivion. OSR requires 1.2.416, which is the latest.
Marquis T

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:47 am

Thanks for the info I did change the .ini but only to allow screenshots and disable music. I deleted and then reinstalled OSR guess I'll see if that worked.
Chloe Botham

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks for the info I did change the .ini but only to allow screenshots and disable music. I deleted and then reinstalled OSR guess I'll see if that worked.

Each time you start a game, OSR will save a log file in \Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion. The name of the file is "sr_Oblivion_Stutter_Remover.txt". Before you start a game next time, delete the file if it's there, play the game and when finished look
1. if there is a new file there at all. If a new file has been created it shows that OSR at least was active and working.
2. post it in the OSR thread and ask SkyRanger what he thinks. Eventually you must put on some protocol function to give him more information.

It should look something like this, depending on the OSR.ini settings you have:
Critical Sections mode 2 (improve fairness): MemoryHeap Optimization Mode 1: attempting to replace the Oblivion heap manager with FastMM4 / BorlndMM.dlldynamic-size hashtableshook mode 1: using main GetTickCount calltimeBeginPeriod: 0 -> 1Heap Initialization (268435456, 0)CS 0x00B32B80 (caller 0x9D7E7A, path 0, spin1000), by-object, set to mode 3CS 0x00B32B80 (caller 0x9D7E7A, path 0, spin1000), by-object, set to spin 1500thead 0738 assigned PT 01D5F840, serial# 1CS 0x01F92DA0 (caller 0x701748, path 0, spin1000), by-caller, set to mode 5initialize2() running in thread 738, renderer at 01F92C20thead 0654 assigned PT 01D57F30, serial# 2thead 022C assigned PT 01D57F48, serial# 3

Hella Beast

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:51 pm

If you don't notice a difference, the most likely cause is that you modified your Oblivion.ini, probably following some sort of performance tweak guide or something. Many such guides advise modifying your settings in such a way as to minimize multithreading in Oblivion. This makes sense in the absence of OSR, because The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the greatest game in the history of the universe. at multithreading. OSR modifies Oblivion to make it not svck at multithreading anymore, but if Oblivion.ini settings are already adjusted to minimize multithreading then that won't help.

So, try reverting to vanilla Oblivion.ini settings, see if that helps.

OSR also makes some improvements that are not multithreading related, notably the 64 Hertz fix and hashtable resizing, but the 64 Hertz fix has subtle enough impact that some people won't notice it, and hashtable resizing is disabled by default and also has a relatively subtle impact.

edit:
The other common cause is using the wrong version of Oblivion. OSR requires 1.2.416, which is the latest.

SkyRanger-1:

Do you have a recommendation on the Oblivion.ini tweaks that should go along with using OSR?

I was using the tweaks listed in the TOPP thread here: http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=881204&hl=topp, but reinstated the changes made to threading based on your comments.

Also, which heap version would you recommend with Windows XP? Someone mentioned '5' works best with XP, and '1; with Vista - do you agree?
Chris BEvan

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:37 pm

Oblivion.ini:
I use a vanilla Oblivion.ini, except for uGridDistantCount. I don't know what's good, but I know that OSR in general shifts the balance to be more favorable to multithreading, and that many guides include adjustments to reduce multithreading, which tends to help w/o OSR but may hurt when used with OSR & multiple cores.

Heap algorithms:
Generally, of heaps 1, 3, & 5, you should use whichever is stable for you, and beyond that nothing matters much.
I use Oblivion on XP with no LAA and all heap algorithms perform fine for me (#1 is a hair faster for me, but I can't tell by eye; theory suggests that #1 is expected to be faster on XP). If you really want to know what's fastest for you then you can turn on heap profiling and check the log file, but there is a significant performance penalty to having heap profiling enabled, so it should be turned off as soon as you find what you wanted.
Note that if you don't use heap replacement at all then there is a serious issue on XP that usually only occurs on longer game sessions with big mods. The symptom is hard to miss - a major, easily visible reduction in FPS that persists until Oblivion is restarted. That's the only major OS-related heap-related difference that I am aware of, though there's lots of performance differences that I cannot explain.
louise hamilton

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:22 am

Thanks skyranger-1, that was a quick response. I'll test the different heaps to see what works best as well.
Bird

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:23 pm

This makes sense in the absence of OSR, because The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the greatest game in the history of the universe. at multithreading.

:lmao:
I was surprised you thought that, for a moment, and then I remembered.
Alessandra Botham

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:53 am

Hm... very interesting. The line of my post that you just quoted? I didn't write that. I guess one of the forum admins has been having fun?

edit: to clarify that, I wrote something like:
This makes sense in the absence of OSR, because Oblivion s u c k s at multithreading.

and someone or something changed my post to instead say:
This makes sense in the absence of OSR, because The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the greatest game in the history of the universe. at multithreading.

aha, the forum is autoreplacing anything that says Oblivion s.u.c.k.s. with that phrase. I'm obfuscating "svcks" to avoid the autoreplace.
Tracey Duncan

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:23 pm

Possibly you just hit the automatic censorship thingy. :)
Teghan Harris

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:11 pm

It looks like someone added a new automatic censorship thing as a joke that makes anyone who says that this game svcks instead say that it's the best game ever. Ha. Ha.
Charleigh Anderson

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:08 am

I see new slang on the horizon ... The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the greatest game in the history of the universe.!

yep it works - now instead of praise people will just say this game svcks.
Helen Quill

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Maybe we got hacked? :shocking: By the Chinese, maybe??

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is the greatest game in the history of the universe. big time.

Damn!! It does work indeed! And I cannot even write now what I originally wrote!! :lmao:
OK, you can say "Oblivion suggs".
Cat Haines

Return to IV - Oblivion