Official: Beyond Skyrim TES VI #84

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:31 am

No, but it's more time spent on programming and more time spent on QA, which means more money spent. They would need to add OpenGL support, though, and that would require a significant overhaul of the current DirectX based engine.

CHANONE

Post » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:05 am

Depends. If you have a huge code base that was developed with a strong focus on Windows' APIs, and relies on details of those APIs, it can be difficult. But if your code base was developed with portability in mind, to minimize the interaction between your code and system-specific APIs (and prefers to use open APIs when possible), it can be relatively easy. id Software tended to be of the latter, where even though they never officially supported Linux, it was very easy for someone on their end to make a working Linux build for their games and release it as an unsupported, unofficial build.

These days, most commercial engines support Linux. Unreal Engine, CryEngine, Unity3D, etc, all work on multiple OSs, including Linux with minimal fuss. But it still relies on the developer to "throw the switch" to make a Linux build and release it.

Iain Lamb

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:33 pm

I, for one, really don't like the spellcasting system in the elder scrolls (from 3-5, I have never played arena or daggerfall). I'm fine with the actual magic system, between skills and perks and such. But I don't like equipping a spell just like a weapon or a shield. For one: Its too similar to wielding a weapon for my taste, I like to think magic should feel different than swinging a sword. For two: It forces out the majority of the spells you can use in a fight, because you can only ever have two equipped at one time (without opening up at least the favorites menu, if not the full menu). For three: Every time I cast a spell, it's exactly the same. Even swinging weapons you get more dynamic swings; altering between forehand and backhand sings, with special attacks that let you spin. I'd like magic to feature a bit more engaging variety than Cast-Cast-Cast-Cast out of magicka.

That said, I've been thinking about this ever since I first tried playing a mage and got bored out of my gourd with the repetitiveness. I feel like a complete overhaul of casting is necessary and I have a suggestion (albeit a somewhat radical change to the TES spellcasting systerm).

First, you have to have either an empty hand or some kind of magically inclined implement (I'm thinking like a staff, but maybe other stuff too) so no keeping your sword and board out while throwing fireballs willy nilly. Second, all the other magic stuff remains the same: Skills, skill progression, spell acquisition (with spellbooks), perks, and trainers. I don't want to touch that stuff, I like it fine as is. So, here is my suggested spellcasting mechanic.

1. While you have an empty hand or an implement (staff, holy symbol) you press the Cast button (either a keybind or mouse-click attacking with the empty hand).

2. Once the Cast button is pressed (or the empty hand used to attack), you enter casting mode. A few things happen:

• Game speed down by 75%, degrading over 3.5 seconds back to full speed.

• You stop being able to do anything other than move (WASD) and jump (space). Maybe certain perks grant you extra options while casting.

• An aesthetically pleasing blur effect limits vision to the central 1/2 of the screen. Maybe certain perks increase vision while casting.

• The six symbols which represent the different schools of magic (i.e. the Burning Hand of destruction or the Phoenix of restoration) appear in a hexagonal ring at the inner edge of the colored blur.

3. You move your cursor (made to look appropriately magical) to one of these school symbols.

4. That symbol zooms in (.25 second zoom speed) to a second ring of symbols, representing metadata groups of spells (i.e. Lightning Spells, Fire Spells, Cold Spells, Physical Spells for destruction)

5. You move your cursor to a metadata group

6. The metadata group symbol zooms in (.25 second zoom speed) to a third ring of symbols, this time representing known spells with that metadata tag (ex: Lightning Spells).

7. You move your cursor to a specific spell symbol

8. Casting mode ends

9. The spell is cast towards the target in the center of your screen (maybe some perks provide a degree of auto aim) or on yourself.

If the formatting makes the process seem too long (as a direct result of my technical writing profession) let me describe the process from the point of view of a first timer, a practiced player, and an experienced mage player (I'll assumed the default Cast keybind is Q):

First Timer: Presses Q, looks at the ring and moves to destruction. Looks at the new ring, finds lightning, and moves to lightning. Looks at the new ring, finds lightning bolt, and moves to Lightning Bolt. Lightning bolt is cast

Practiced Player: Presses Q, moves to destruction. Looks at metadata ring and moves to lightning. Looks at spell ring and moves to lightning bold. Lightning bolt is cast

Experienced Mage Player: Presses Q, moves mouse three times in a pattern. Lightning bolt is cast.

Some small aesthetic improvements could be made, like strategically positioning the symbols such that casting a specific spell makes a certain line pattern, or refining the spell symbols and metadata group symbols for clarity and beauty. But the idea goes like this. I should note that I think the symbols should be static, so you don't have to spend the extra thought hunting for the Destruction school and accidentally casting from the alteration school instead. This way as the player becomes a more proficient mage they can zip off a variety of spells without having to open menus and break immersion. Even though, honestly, the whole idea is nothing but an immersive menu. If someone prefers the old way, you build spell quick slots into the system which, when equipped, function as spells have always functioned. No one loses but, in my opinion, every gains.

As an addendum: I think allowing spells to combo based on secondary or meta effects would add even more adaptability to the system. A target recently hit by a lightning spell gains the invisible "Shocked" effect. While shocked does nothing on it's own, when hit with a spell with riders that trigger on Shocked, you benefit from an additional effect. For example, you target an enemy with a Damage Magicka spell and they gain the invisible "Damaged Magicka" effect. Follow it with a lightning spell and they lose x1.5 more magicka from the lightning effect than normal. Here is an area where we could get really creative. Even allow comboing into melee combat skills (Following frost spell with a knockdown power attack drains the target's stamina or makes them get back up slower). Following an illusion spell (like rage) with a charging power attack confuses the enemy, making them walk around dazed for a second.

James Rhead

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:21 pm

I don't think anything that extreme is necessary... Though it has given me ideas for visual design on Spell Crafting...

For one, it's a system that could be overburdened very, very quickly. Like one of the key issues with the Wheel dialogue, the more branching that you have to do at once the harder things get to reasonably manage. Unlike the Wheel Dialogue, however, you could easily end up with a hundred or more options to deal with at one time.

I think this issue is far more reasonably manages using a better Favorites system, and a Radial Menu. Yes, you'd still be somewhat limited in the total range of spells you can call on at any time, but you can comfortably fit a dozen or more quick-select options on a Radial Menu without compromising clarity, and it takes a less than a second to use and swap.

This, however, I think has more to do with weapon combat than magic. We have a system that basically treats weapons as magic, rather than one that treats magic as weapons. Magic is the Point-Click system, not sword play, but we've used such a basic model for combat since Morrowind that we're now identifying Magic is the odd feeling one. Fix the behaviour of Weapon Combat, and Archery, and Magic will feel more distinct.

Though, there may be some value to your idea in regards to on-the-fly modification that we've talked about before... Being able to tightern the radius of a Fireball to increase its damage, or make a Magelight rebound down a corridor, just before casting it instead of requiring a dedicated spell... It may even be able to handle flat out equipable 'Schools'... Though that may run into the same problems as I mentioned earlier...

Also... Someone give the lad a fishy stick. On my phone, hyperlinks don't work.
Life long Observer

Post » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:57 pm

Welcome! http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/509199713966266693/0F5AF3EEE1F945B23893C1B6E78DDB45573C988D/?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C637:358&composite-to=*,*%7C637:358&background-color=black

A future game might feature Sword Singing. Drawing patterns might be better there (if the Singing is done via the sword).

I'd stick with the old way to cast spells (how would continuous spells, like Force Lightning errr Sparks, work in that system?), but I'd like to see elements of that in a new Favorites-menu. I've thought about multiple levels of rings too, but in the end moving between them might be a bit too much. That combo system sounds pretty sweet.

Rambling about the Favorites-menu (I'm sick and tired, so, yeah, rambling):

I'm not familiar with controllers, but Fallout 4 uses the D-pad to access favorites, yes? How about this: 4 different radial menus with 8 buttons. One of the buttons should probably be "Cancel", but the rest would be quick slots, so 28 quick slots in all. On the controllers, each D-Pad button would bring up one of the rings. On the PC: number keys.

EDIT: Waaait: if you had to hold down the radial menu -button and pick a quick slot with Mouse 0/controller trigger, just lifting your finger from the radial menu -button would work as a Cancel-action. So, 8 quick slots per one radial menu.

Camden Unglesbee

Previous

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion