Official: Beyond Skyrim TES VI #85

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:20 am

You people still don't learn, do you? Did you get what you wanted in the previous games or did you get what the Howard factory wanted in all the previous games? You will never get anything new from the same crowd that continuously gives you the old.

Skrapp Stephens

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:49 am

I highly doubt that anyone here is under the illusion that what we talk about here will have any bearing on future games. That doesn't mean the discussion isn't fun, or lacks value. It's cathartic.

This though... Have you PLAYED TES games? They're probably the least consistent franchise out there. We get new things even when it's not remotely needed, or even asked for. They can't just give us the old, because they aren't even able to figure out what the old is. Frankly, Bethesda's game design has always been a fumbling mess, and it's a wonder they can deliver a playable game at all, let alone one that keeps people playing for hundreds of hours.

Danial Zachery

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:32 am

Not really. Only instance of that I had was Morrowind, and that was less because of the armor itself, and more how stiff everyone in-game looked and moved about. Chitin, Bonemold, and other explicitly fantastical armors being among my favorites doesn't help that either. That's still ignoring the fact that the two foreign, "mundane" armors look very grounded in reality while still meshing with what we see in-universe, so its not like the two need to be mutually exclusive to begin with.

Frankly, I like the look of For Honor's armor when it comes to this department. Most of the armors we've seen don't shatter the willing suspension of disbelif, and still actually look like something that would look reasonably good on a character.

This is all frankly completely pointless if Skyrim's equipment system is ditched in favor of a Morrowind/Fallout 4 approach of layered armor with multiple pieces for separate arms, shoulders, pants, and boots. The sets can still retain the style, but the PC, depending on player interests, certainly is not.

Jack

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:02 pm

I am a blacksmith in real life. (although not very good yet) So there is a lot of improvements I would like to see. Sure the animations were cool as your character forged things. But it would be cool to actually have to perform each step in game. From getting the materials, getting them hot and them hammering them out on the anvil. Each step should be a different process in the stages of smithing.

Instead of selecting say "craft iron dagger" from the menu and having on added, you need to do more.

Step 1. get the materials for an iron dagger. So you need iron for the dagger. But you also need wood or leather for the handle. So you tan some hides or chop wood. Or buy. Your choice.

Step 2. Use a forge. I'd like to see it implemented to actually be able to make your own forge. But you can use pre-made ones already in game.

Step 3. Hammer out a design. Maybe give us more options then just a standard boring looking iron dagger.

Step 4. Tied in with Step 3 would be strength. if you are not very strong, welding a forge hammer is going to be difficult. so maybe make 1 handed arm strength count a little in forging.

Step 5. Quench and temper your weapon. Or if making armor, a different process. How many times have you made a set of armor while watching your character putting lengths of steel in the quenching trough. Every time! So lets get that changed.

Step 6. The handle. Depending on what you use makes the weapon stronger and maybe even worth more if you sold it.

Anyway just some ideas.

Toby Green

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:32 am

Duplicate topics merged :)
Etta Hargrave

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:42 am

isn't that sort of how smithing was done in Dark Messiah?

Laura-Jayne Lee

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:22 pm

Very similar.

Personally, though, i think it needlessly over-complicates things. You end up having to do considerably more work to achieve the same goal. In Dark Messiah, this wasn't as much of a problem, because it was more of a minigame which you did very infrequently, but in a game like TES, where you can spend far more time crafting, it would get very ponderous very quickly. It would be comparable to having to measure out burn times on your alchemy set, or having to chop up the potatoes to go with your roast Slaughterfish.

I definitely think there are some significant improvements to be made to crafting in general, but too much manual control over the process is probably not the best thing. Control over materials, aesthetic and flourishes, sure.

Emily Graham

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:43 am

how about the option to turn on/off the crafting mini games

if u are too lazy, just do normal fast crafting, if u have the mood, do the mini games

Scott Clemmons

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:31 pm

Seems completely fruitless given how much time you would need to spend on something that involved. Crafting quality, like Lockpicking, should come down to the characters skill, not how well I can slog through material screen and material screen.
Bonnie Clyde

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:09 am

i want an offline mmorpg.

huge world full with life.

town full with many types of civilians.

adventure place full with group of adventure that u can be friend with and fight together

roads full with merchants and traveler and worker and civilians

all npc has their story. and we can pursue relation with them.

Stryke Force

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:33 pm

yeah if people didn't like it make it toggable.

I'm just suggesting more depth to things. For those of us who played the games and never bothered with the MQ, we played as hunters. We played as blacksmiths. Bards... you get the idea. Give us some depth to all that if we choose to ignore being "dragonborn" and just wanted to be ourselves.

Skyrim is pretty close to this in a way.

It is a world full of life. Sadly most of it is hostile. So what if it wasn't? What if you could join a bandit gang. Or a merc band. Maybe you became a farmer. Or a forsworn? Or were able at least to be friends with these groups? Maybe you could join a khajiit caravan.

Olga Xx

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:05 pm

yes i hope we can join bandits. and can fight bandits.

skyrim is close to mmorpg. but a lot more need improvement

if u watch roleplay skyrim in youtube, most of them just roleplaying their own quest, they not playing the main quest. most of them play the radiant quest

and one that fun to watch was perma death gameplay. its exciting.

Greg Cavaliere

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:05 am

relation with npc. every npc has this. press talk to them then.

1. friendly chat - get to know, increase relation, hire service

2. hostile chat - pick on, etc

3. do radiant quest - to increase relation

4. harass - rob, bully,etc

Its like you see a cute npc and want to be friend, u have a friendly chat then ask what can i help u? oh craft you a good item? oh your family was kidnapped?i will save them! oh u need guard for your caravan? all the random radiant quest u can imagine... then your relation improved

different between main quest, side quest and radiant quest.

1. main quest is long and have side quest.

2. side quest is shorter and be like a theme park with good created dialogue and premade actors/tress

3. radiant quest was created for endless gameplay. it is fun because player create their own dialogue on their mind. and its changed everytime u play. the npc is randomly created.

Ice Fire

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:18 am

1 more things i want in tes 6 was the skills quest.

For example u want to learn some new cool fighting style.(magic or not)

u need to find the books to learn or find the tutor that located somewhere.

give thousands of skills to learn. and the quest for it will start so player has something to do.

when u have master all the skills, u can beat the demon king!

Motionsharp

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:09 am

TES 6

1. We need a believable world and character. I want a game that i feel satisfied just by looking at my gorgeous character and watching the world.

Example: Black desert online.

2. Main quest must have good vs evil plot. Evil try to make the good side appear evil too and make a false image that both side is evil.

3. Life simulations gameplay. Because mass killing spree is getting boring.

I want to be able to roleplay properly with the ingame mechanics.

Example i want to be a traveling merchant. At start, i need to go to merchant guild and apply job to be a merchant helper for the upcoming caravan.

the paid will be low for starter. I need to take care of the goods and help selling the items across the journey

as the game goes, i gain experience as a merchant, get more money and eventually became the caravan owner.

so many obstacle across the journey, fighting bandits, etc. as well falling in love with the girl i meet at the town where my caravan passed by.

This is just 1 example of all the crafting profession that we might have.

Roddy

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:44 am

Agreed. I just think that an emphasis on outcomes, rather than the process, may be a better approach. With some minor changes to Crafting as it is, you can create a dynamic that would allow for millions of different variations on look, without dramatically increasing the amount of work to create any individual thing. Too much manual control can bog things down, and cause problems if you don't have ways to link it into Character Skill (something which some complain is already too sparse in the series). At the same time, too little manual control can leave many players feeling detached and involved.

In terms of Crafting, i do definitely think there's room for a more involved crafting process alongside a more generalised 'Production' process, though i'm not entirely sure how it would mesh with a grater degree of manual involvement... It's something i'll have to think on.

I actually like that none of the villians have been outright evil. Even Mehrunes Dagon seems to have a pretty decent reason to be doing what he's doing. I'd rather they play up that moral ambiguity of the Mythic Crises. As a Hero, it's your job to save the world, but that doesn't mean you're necessarily the good guy.

While the game may be repetitive and cripplingly grind-heavy, i do agree, Black Desert Online has one of the best character generation systems i've seen. I'd rank it right up there with EVE Online, and far ahead of anything Bethesda (or Bioware, or Capcom, or Bungie, or really most other developers) have managed.

Crystal Clarke

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:02 pm

How to make a believable game? 1st look at the character creation.

There are many art style. We should choose realistic arts. Its not a bombastic tech, sport game like fifa, pes has already using it since 2014

In fact it is quiet easy to make a 3D face out of a person. You just need full frontal face and side face.

Since i just playing human looking character, having a lot of face presets make the world much more believable.

We can start with 50 presets face for young advlt women. Im sure we can list 50 attractive female names to convert it into 3D.

Problem now is the copyright. Hey thats my face! To solve this dont copy 100% face. Example we are taking katy perry face, adjust it a little bit so it wont be 100% looks like her.

Then from this 50 presets face, bathesda should create a software that can mix and matches faces. Things like head types, eyes types, nose types, mouth types can be pick and choose to create a totally new face! From that tech we can at least get 50 more face! so there we have 100 face presets!

This face presets will be using for both the player and npc. Random generated/premade npc will have a unique faces and totally different between each other. There u have a believable, realistic human npc in game.
lacy lake

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:21 am

Lets throw some Radiant Quest ideas.

1. An Argonian from black marsh has been reported [censored] womens in Whiterun and infected them with AIDS. However, report said he already run away. You need to trace him down before he [censored] more women in another town. (no marker - trace criminal type quest)

2. Meet an alchemist to cure AIDS. later he will ask you to go to the mountain full with bandits and mobs to collect mystical herbs to cure the desease. (collect items, craft potions type of quest)
Alex Blacke

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:22 am

Lmao! Said Argonian should use an Orc disguise, and the plot thickens! Many innocent will die, and not from Aids :lol:
Javier Borjas

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:02 am

Guys. Alteration for lockpicking. You know how in Morrowind you could just wave your hand and the chest would open? That was stupid. BUT. There should still be a way for magic to get around locks.

I talked earlier about using the telekinesis spell as a 'pick' or 'probe', and then relying on security for your ability to pick locks. This would make it so that you still need to understand the way locks function in order to open them, but you can still feel like a mage.

There's a potentially more interesting option, though. It could be used in addition to the alteration/security strategy. Passwall. You can go past locked doors, but the thicker they are the harder it is. It should drain magic very, very quickly while activated, and magical traps should still go off when you pass by. That's a pretty good amount of balance.

Now, for chests, I'm proposing that the same spell can be used to 'pickpocket' them, essentially. You reach in with your ethereal hands and try to grab some goodies. You can't see what's inside, and you have to rummage through, guessing what is what. Some objects can be missed, and larger objects are harder to remove than smaller ones. Failure means the object stays in the chest.

The better you are at the spell, the more things you can reliably remove from chests. Maybe you can get everything. But there will always be the thought at the back of your mind, "did I miss something important?"

I thought it was an interesting way to balance it. Lock bashing alerts everybody to your presence, and you have to fight everybody to get out of the situation, which fits nicely with the warrior playstyle. The negative effects of failing with passwall are more mental than physical (they get into your head, as well as the character's), which fits with the type of baggage mages usually have to deal with. Also, you may enter a room full of bad guys with half your magicka or less.

Security would definitely still be the best way to open locks, but here is an alternative which could lead to interesting situations. I still think using telekinesis to make a magical pick/probe should be a thing, mostly because it's the most Nightblade-y thing in the world, but this can be in addition to it, for mages who don't want to invest in the security tree, or who feel comfortable using passwall to get by doors but want to use security so they are sure to get every single item.

Javaun Thompson

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:58 am

i hate lockpicking. i think its a mini game. hope there is option to turn it on/off

Dale Johnson

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:13 am

That was a very constructive comment. Thank you.

maria Dwyer

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:45 am

I.. actually like that idea quite a bit. I think it would require a rather significant shift in how pick-pocketing works (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since the current system is absurd) and it would offer a very distinct 'looting' experience over the other options.

Adam Baumgartner

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:34 am

This still runs into the same problem that caused its removal in the first place. Clipping through 3D geometry does not look good, especially in first-person. Even ignoring that lock difficulty and door depth don't coincide, given how thin doors generally are, it would require draining magicka so fast that your ability to get through would feel pretty random (you started moving 10 milliseconds too late or you started casting the spell a half-step too far back, so you didn't make it in time). And how would you handle failure (i.e. if you're still in the door when it runs out)? And what about doors that teleport you to a different location? How would you ensure the player doesn't get stuck on the other side of the door (e.g. if they made it through a door with the help of a magicka buf, which runs out before they could leave back through the door and they don't have another)?

But if your hand is passing through the chest, would it also not pass through the loot? And given the necessary magicka drain a passwall-like spell would have to be balanced for door-walking, it would leave extremely little time to get anything out, and in that case you'd have to rethink looting (given the real-time looting introduced on Fallout 4, something as standard as an instant Take All option would have serious repercussions on the possible limitations of this ability, as would the optional time-stopped loot menu).

phillip crookes

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:24 am

A passwall spell could be a targeted spell that puts you on the other side of the door rather than a channeled spell that phases you. It would probably help with the clipping issues (particularly if there's some sort of animation as you go through, even as simple as blacking out your vision while you're inside the door) and make it more reliable.

Dorian Cozens

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion