Official "The Infernal City": An Elder Scrolls Novel

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:09 pm

This thread is for discussion of the newly released Elder Scrolls Novel in full. Any discussion of the novel which includes spoilers should go here. Enjoy the discussion and If you have not read this novel and want no information about them until you do, you might want to back out of this thread and speculate in the speculation thread instead.

Enjoy!

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1058060
http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1058959
louise fortin

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:33 am

So... how about the Sumps being a mini-Dreamsleeve? That Vuhon's quite well-read.
katsomaya Sanchez

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:37 am

Unfortunately, the water is also boiling.

(But as long as that doesn't do more than 10 health damage per second Helseth should be fine. :lol:)

Didn't think of that one, although, like you pointed out, Helseth could theoretically live through it.

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but isn't a good thing that ESV was predicted to be in the works or was it something about the book?

I don't like the idea of going so far into the future in the next ES game. There's too much going on now I'd like to be a part of.

Being a sewer where water is designed to collect, you'd better seal all the entrances. :)

Someone as crafty as Helseth might manage that. What I'm saying? I don't even like Helseth, let that n'wah boil and drown. Long live S'virr!
Angel Torres

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Maybe they're born very kitten like, and change radically based on the lunar lattice they were bound to. It's not a pokemon suddenly change, but more of a they begin to radically change form. Remember, this is TES, so genetics is tossed right out the window.

Plus, I get the feeling the young are more kitten-like, as evident by small cats and such keeping to the tents and not interacting so much with Sul and Attrebus than the advlts.

Good points. :)

I agree it's something like that (kind of how all human babies generally look the same for the period that they are babies and slowly grow into unique spectacles of nature), and when the Kahjiit reach a stage of growth (say their equivalent to puberty) it's then that they diversify themelves into their respective races. However, that's just my opinion.

It seems the Khajiit mature much faster than humans, if their transformations do occur at puberty. The page after the "kittenish faces" mentioned by Hellmouth, has "Khajiit children of various ages" (I'm paraphrasing here). Attrebus didn't seem to know at this point that the Senche were Khajiit, so it's odd that he'd recognize Khajiit children so soon after seeing what he thought were kittens.

Oh man, forget Skyrim, I want ES:V to be in Elsweyr (or Black Marsh)! I need to know more! :D
Cool Man Sam

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:05 pm

Just finished reading the books.

Daaaaaannnnnng that was pretty cool. I burned through it in two days.

Incidentally, does anyone think that we might be getting a device like Coo in Elder Scrolls V? Since it's basically a way for two specific people to communicate with each other over a long distance (Magic Dwemer Walky-Talky with Wings?) you could have a quest-giver on one end telling the player what his/her next main quest objective is.
Monika

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:24 am

Incidentally, does anyone think that we might be getting a device like Coo in Elder Scrolls V? Since it's basically a way for two specific people to communicate with each other over a long distance (Magic Dwemer Walky-Talky with Wings?) you could have a quest-giver on one end telling the player what his/her next main quest objective is.

Probably of everything, Coo weirded me out the most--why is there an iPhone in Tamriel?
KRistina Karlsson

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:19 am

Just finished reading the books.

Daaaaaannnnnng that was pretty cool. I burned through it in two days.

Coo was kind of wierd. They hinted that it was a Dwemer creation... but couldn't the Dwemer just use The Calling to communicate telepathically? (unless The Calling is what the Dwemer called Coo, and it wasn't a racial ability at all?)
Felix Walde

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:37 am

Probably of everything, Coo weirded me out the most--why is there an iPhone in Tamriel?

Probably a Dwemer artifact.

I mean it's not that far fetched compared to the freaking weather machine in Tribunal.
Richus Dude

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:50 pm

Probably a Dwemer artifact.

I mean it's not that far fetched compared to the freaking weather machine in Tribunal.

I'm not meaning that it is too "far fetched" technologically, it just seems a little out of the spirit of TES... Sort of an easy-out for connecting TES to modern life--Attrebus can sympathize with all the nerds who have "girlfriends" they met on MySpace in China.

lvrgurl69: wht r u doin

Pr1nc3Tr3b69: ridin kitties lol

Brooke Turner

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:44 am

Well, they had to talk to each other somehow. Add some Dwemer to the mix and...
Chantelle Walker

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:48 am

I'm not meaning that it is too "far fetched" technologically, it just seems a little out of the spirit of TES... Sort of an easy-out for connecting TES to modern life--Attrebus can sympathize with all the nerds who have "girlfriends" they met on MySpace in China.

lvrgurl69: wht r u doin

Pr1nc3Tr3b69: ridin kitties lol

You sir have been sig'ed.

Incidentally, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheElderScrollsNovels Now get to editing.
GLOW...

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:30 pm

So... how about the Sumps being a mini-Dreamsleeve? That Vuhon's quite well-read.

It strikes to me that, assuming the inhabitants of Umbriel are in fact Daedra (which, residing in the realm of Clavicus Vile, is more than likely), that the sump is in fact their "Wellspring"- the point where they return to the World after they die (as we learned about in Shivering Isles).

I believe that Annaig and Gilm becoming inhabitants of Umbriel- Daedra- is a sign of "Walk like them until they must walk like you". The two acted like Daedra, therefore they became Daedra.

Also, I'm trying to chart a logical course of destruction of Morrowind, to determine how much is relatively undamaged. If we can surmise that Skyrim is undamaged, we can get a range of damage. Now, the southern coast of the Inner Sea is far less mountainous than the western coast, so tsunamis could reach a lot farther inland, but we also have to take into account how much water is in the Inner Sea.

In addition, we know that Umbriel moves at a rate of sixty miles per day. We know that Gilm knows that they are "well over Morrowind" based only on the ashen wasteland beneath him. They're either one or two days away from Scathing Bay at that point, therefore we can chart that the destruction extends at least that far, probably further. And we know that southern Morrowind is inhabitable, though we don't know what is termed "southern Morrowind".

I'm going to hypothesize that Mournhold, Narsis, Tear survived the tsunamis and ash fall, though they were probably hit by some pretty serious earthquakes. Necrom was located to the east, and if Nirn operates on at least similar principles to our world, judging that it gets colder north and warmer south, Tamriel is in the northern hemisphere of Nirn, and the prevailing winds go west to east, therefore Necrom and the Telvanni Isles are buried under ash.

Of course, we also know that any surviving settlements were then sacked by the Argonians and the survivors fled north to Solstheim.

I'll work on a map of Morrowind to post somewhere that shows what I'm conjecturing.
OTTO

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:43 pm

Incidentally, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheElderScrollsNovels Now get to editing.

Holy crap...

Also, (I have no idea if this has been asked before) but how does one pronounce "Annaig"? (Sorry, my knowledge of the alt123 system is not expansive enough to know which combos produce umlaut letters.)
Everardo Montano

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:32 pm

Right, here's said map I mentioned in my earlier post:

Note, this is conjecture, not official (I wish I knew for sure)

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff74/SkyShadowing/TamrielMap.jpg
Angus Poole

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:25 am

Started to reread the book, and I noticed a few minor things overlooked. Someone of the Synod, named Lazarum, seemed to have rediscovered the spell to fly/levitate in the first page of chapter 4. In addition, on the same page, Hecua mentions that in the Synod, you have to pay dues.
candice keenan

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:33 am

Started to reread the book, and I noticed a few minor things overlooked. Someone of the Synod, named Lazarum, seemed to have rediscovered the spell to fly/levitate in the first page of chapter 4. In addition, on the same page, Hecua mentions that in the Synod, you have to pay dues.

What does that conflict with? Hecua says a spell and a potion don't work quite the same way, so if a person rediscovered how to fly by spell, they still may not know how to fly by potion.

As for the dues, why not? The Mages Guild had them, why not the Synod?
Bambi

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:23 pm

What does that conflict with? Hecua says a spell and a potion don't work quite the same way, so if a person rediscovered how to fly by spell, they still may not know how to fly by potion.

As for the dues, why not? The Mages Guild had them, why not the Synod?

Just more information about the Synod, something that seemed to have lacked in general from the minds of those who want to know what the two new imperial sanctioned places of magic are like.
Sara Lee

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:26 am

Just more information about the Synod...

sorry, then, I misunderstood. I can definitely agree that I'd love more information about the synod and the College of Whispers in either the next book or TESV. They sound interesting but didn't really get enough description.
Bambi

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:49 am

So, what is the General Consensus on TES novels? The guys over at The Imperial Library don't seem to like it much from what I've seen.
Katy Hogben

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:21 pm

So, what is the General Consensus on TES novels? The guys over at The Imperial Library don't seem to like it much from what I've seen.

It's canon, whether they like it or not. Lot of us here like it, and find it interesting.
rebecca moody

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:51 am

Eh, Umbriel would've been a bit more impressive if Keyes hadn't focused so much on the kitchens, but other than that, it's good. It also gives a fair amount of info on what post-Oblivion Tamriel is like, and it actually feels like it takes place in the Elder Scrolls setting, rather than just being generic fantasy with a few names tacked on.

In short, I'd recommend it.
ijohnnny

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:08 am

I'm sure that the next novel will go into more detail on Umbriel than the kitchens, but I'm really hoping for more information on Tamriel as opposed to Umbriel. After all, I doubt that Umbriel will have much influence at all upon TESV...Tamriel is kind of where it'll be...so, let's get some more lore built fleshed out and get things established...
Sophie Payne

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:21 pm

I have some questions that I'm not sure have been answered properly:
1)What ever happens to House Telvanni? Or Hlaalu? In fact, do any of the Great Houses still remain after this Crisis?
2)Is it confirmed that Helseth dies? And how are the other provinces reacting to the total destruction of Morrowind?
3)Is there a chance that ANY of Morrowind's fauna/flora could have survived? It would be a massive shame to lost those Guars, Silt-Striders and Netches we all love.
Elisha KIng

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:18 am

It's canon, whether they like it or not. Lot of us here like it, and find it interesting.

And not everyone at TIL hates it, just the really loud ones, from what I gather.

I have some questions that I'm not sure have been answered properly:
1)What ever happens to House Telvanni? Or Hlaalu? In fact, do any of the Great Houses still remain after this Crisis?
2)Is it confirmed that Helseth dies? And how are the other provinces reacting to the total destruction of Morrowind?
3)Is there a chance that ANY of Morrowind's fauna/flora could have survived? It would be a massive shame to lost those Guars, Silt-Striders and Netches we all love.

None of these questions are directly answered, but if the Loveletter is anything to go by then it wouldn't be too far-fetched to believe that Kwama are still around at least, the great Houses collapse and are rebuilt as different houses, As for Helseth, no mention at all.
Camden Unglesbee

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:28 am

Paid a visit to the Storyboard's ES Novels thread last night, and I have to say... :rolleyes:
There are definitely a lot of people whom I respect over there, but there seems to also be a lot of some people who think that their opinion is Divine Law, and that solidifying their arguments comes down to "I know lore, you don't, so shut up" or even delving into personal attacks with even less base than that. It made me really appreciate having such a decently-moderated forum as this one.

And not everyone at TIL hates it, just the really loud ones, from what I gather.

That's good to hear. I only lurk over there once in a blue moon, so I generally end up only catching the aggregate opinions of the loud ones.

But jesus, Tropes, I now get what you mean about the whole Kult of Kirkbride, and that's coming from someone who finds his works the apex of interesting. It's as though if MK didn't do it, it's utter crap over there, even if it's Tedders or Kuhlman or Rolston.

EDIT: Fair enough, Lady N. TBH, the ones I was referring to as the ones I respect are the ones that I see frequenting the lore forum here. And it was incorrect of me to state, "a lot of people" in regard to the latter descriptions.
chloe hampson

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion