Only snowy mountains?

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:28 am

...going north does not necessarily mean colder...

Not if you're south of Equator, otherwise, yeah, it pretty much does...
Jake Easom

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:59 pm

Have a look at the Seigfried's WIP pictures of Skyrim for http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=27235 That's what Skyrim could look like. The mountainous and upper north areas will be snowy, while the lower areas will have some tundra's and big forrests.
Brandon Bernardi

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:18 am

Temperature is determined by altitude and weather conditions (which are themselves determined by proximity to water, mountains, plains, etc.) as well as latitude.

For example, Baltimore is located at the same latitude as Greece. Its 14 F here with windchill, while its projected to be 50 in Athens tomorrow (its night there right now).
chirsty aggas

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:25 pm

Not if you're going North and Down.
SiLa

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Nope. If you're in the Alps for example, (in Skyrims case it would be the Jerral Mountains), if you move north, out of the mountain, it gets warmer, giving way to grassland and a milder climate. Skyrim doesn't = mountains just because the Jerral Mountains are next to it's border.
Louise Dennis

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:34 pm

Not necessarily, there are other factors to take into consideration. For example the geography of the region, in Skyrim the mountains are in the south (Jeral) and then spread out across the edges province as evidenced within http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/GrungeHead1991/Skyrim_map_Oblivion.jpg. Many people make the mistake of thinking that since the north of Cyrodiil is a frozen wasteland Skyrim must be the same. We also must take into account how the wealthiest, most populous cities in Skyrim are in the north rather than the south. This leads me to believe that it is warmer in the north due to the ocean, than the mountainous south.

However I am not a lore buff, I would wait for Prowler, Dagon, or Lady N to speak on this matter.
Tom

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:35 pm

I completely agree (cause it's a fact) that there are other determining factors in the local temperature, such as currents, wind patterns and elevation, but it's also an undeniable fact that it gets colder the closer you are to the poles of our planet.

It could very well be that this is not the situation in Tamriel, as it's a fantasy world, but if it's built on the same physical principles as our world, it will get colder as you go north (or south if you're south of Equator). Facts.
Yvonne

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:58 pm

However I am not a lore buff, I would wait for Prowler, Dagon, or Lady N to speak on this matter.

Its 110% snow. Snow everywhere. 49 different types of snow. The Nords are all really snowmen, as are the dragons. Bethesda made a new engine because their old one didn't have snow physics. 90% of the game DVD will be taken up by individual snowflake textures. The other 10% will be sounds for different types of snow. They are releasing it in the winter so that its sufficiently cold outside and you can have an extra-immersive experience. The collector's edition of the game will ship with an icepack.
Isaiah Burdeau

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 am

Its 110% snow. Snow everywhere. 49 different types of snow. The Nords are all really snowmen, as are the dragons. Bethesda made a new engine because their old one didn't have snow physics. 90% of the game DVD will be taken up by individual snowflake textures. The other 10% will be sounds for different types of snow. They are releasing it in the winter so that its sufficiently cold outside and you can have an extra-immersive experience. The collector's edition of the game will ship with an icepack.

You honestly almost made me fallout out of my chair. Oh that was a great one.
Jeneene Hunte

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:27 am

That gave me a good chuckle, I almost broke out laughing in class xP
Sophie Morrell

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:50 am

They promised me calipers... :shakehead:
Sakura Haruno

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:09 am

I completely agree (cause it's a fact) that there are other determining factors in the local temperature, such as currents, wind patterns and elevation, but it's also an undeniable fact that it gets colder the closer you are to the poles of our planet.

It could very well be that this is not the situation in Tamriel, as it's a fantasy world, but if it's built on the same physical principles as our world, it will get colder as you go north (or south if you're south of Equator). Facts.

Though you don't exactly know how close to the poles Skyrim is.
leigh stewart

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:26 pm

Sounds like a good deal to me. :lol:
El Goose

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:37 pm

However MK wrote From The Many-Headed Talos to explain the change:

Not a very good explanation if you ask me. It's not so much a justification as it is Bethesda's way of saying "Yeah, sorry that Cyrodiil doesn't look anything like what it did in any lore prior to Oblivion, but we can explain it! See? Talos did it!"

Is it just me, or are these threads becoming very common?

They popped up quite a lot before the game was announced to, since at the time, it was already widely accepted that the Elder Scrolls V was likely to be set in Skyrim, but it may be that there's a renewed interest in them now since we now officially KNOW the game is being made and KNOW it's set in Skyrim.

But regardless, I think we can safely assume that the game won't be ALL snow, not because of what the lore says on Skyrim, even though I'm sure it allows for more diversity in the province than that. Because Bethesda has already shown that they're willing to contradict what past lore says about the landscapes of the province the game takes place in if it suits their vision with the design, and I'm sure Bethesda knows that players would get bored with the game quickly if it was ALL snow and ice. I mean, even Bloodmoon had green grass in the south and got more and more like your stereotypical snow and ice land as you got further north. Now, I don't doubt that we'll see lots of snow, and mountains, for that matter, but I doubt it will be all we'll see. I wouldn't bet on getting the same level of diversity in landscapes as Morrowind offered, but I'd say that we don't have to worry about being stuck with snow everywhere.

Howerver based on cyrodil (Further north you got the colder it got!) it is the safest bet to say Skyrim will be covered in snow!

The problem with this notion is that it fails to take into account that how far north or south you go is not the only factor that determines climate. In particular, while the Jerall Mountains, the region of Cyrodiil that bordered on Skyrim, are in fact the northern-most part of Oblivion's map, they're also, as the name would imply, mountains, not to mention they're also far from the sea. and in general, areas of higher elevation, like mountains, tend to be colder than lower ones, so while the Skyrim border may have been all nice and snow, that does not necessarily mean everything north of it must be as well.
Neko Jenny

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:22 am

No it doesn't, while Nirn is at times referred to as a 'planet' this is not entirely true. Planets and moons do not exactly exist in the TES universe, what the player and NPC's perceive as planets and moons can be best summarized as the exact opposite of that. I'm probably not the best person to explain this so it would probably be best for you to go check the Imperial Library.
Kellymarie Heppell

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim