Orc Names

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:45 pm

ok, so just to get this out of the way, i have used the search bar, and only found a generic "what will you call your character" and specific Nord/Dunmer naming threads...

i have recently decided that my first playthrough of Skyrim will be an Orc (to look like http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IKzrWIsV5q4/Tawwxvs8MfI/AAAAAAAAAhw/aZz4JYD6Wv4/s1600/skyrim_orc.jpg guy) and then i got to thinking.... what will i call him? (its gonna be a male)

i just had a blast on Oblivion and saw some names there like Burz-Gro-Kash and Wo-Ma-Arum and i just dont get them... is there any method in choosing an Orc name?

so ok, who else is choosing an Orc, and what are you gonna name them? (maybe give me some inspiration :) )
Eoh

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:30 pm

With orcs, their names are the following:
  • The orc's given name is first
  • gro if it's a male, gra if it's a female in the middle
  • the first name of their dad is the last part.

It's almost like saying "George of Bob" or "George son of Bob"

As for what the name should be, make it sound as though it requires a lot of huffing and grunting, and it needs to sound tough.
SiLa

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:54 pm

These are some random names I've come up with (Assuming Male Character):
1. Grunk-Gro Ballog
2. Lek-Gro Khag
3. Atro-Gro Leylan
4. Olc-Gro Serran
5. Reynal-Gro Dreznohr

Always consider three part names, as in common Orc lore, they have a first, and middle name connected. Sort of like a continuation. If you want to make something original, I suggest you take abrupt noises, or short, but "strong" names. Like Clunk, Gaz, Furj, or Sedk. Possibly a mix of Norwegian/Russian-sounding names.
Kevan Olson

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:54 pm

These are some random names I've come up with:
1. Grunk-Gro Ballog
2. Lek-Gro Khag
3. Atro-Gro Leylan
4. Olc-Gro Serran
5. Reynal-Gra Dreznohr

Always consider three part names, as in common Orc lore, they have a first, and middle name connected. Sort of like a continuation. If you want to make something original, I suggest you take abrupt noises, or short, but "strong" names. Like Clunk, Gaz, Furj, or Sedk. Possibly a mix of Norwegian/Russian-sounding names.

That's not how Orsimer names work. Read what Hellmouth wrote, then go to UESP.net and look up orc NPCs from Morrowind and Oblivion and you'll see the convention is spot-on. And the gro-/gra- part is always lowercase, hyphenated before the surname.
Georgia Fullalove

Post » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:53 am

hmmmm i never knew that :) thanks

Lam-Gro-Bert

hehe awesome :D

edit: Hellmouth? linky?
Juan Cerda

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:09 pm

My post right under your first post.
Nicole Mark

Post » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:05 am

How about this one:

Aye-gro weed
Jodie Bardgett

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:39 pm

My post right under your first post.

lol i didnt actually read your name... i was assuming he was on about a book :P

How about this one:

Aye-gro weed

Aye-Want-Some?
Devils Cheek

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:03 pm

How about this one:

Aye-gro weed

I like it!

Any relation to Aysh-mok weed?
Chica Cheve

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:00 pm

With orcs, their names are the following:
  • The orc's given name is first
  • gro if it's a male, gra if it's a female in the middle
  • the first name of their dad is the last part.

It's almost like saying "George of Bob" or "George son of Bob"

As for what the name should be, make it sound as though it requires a lot of huffing and grunting, and it needs to sound tough.

You sure about number 3?

Remember the Grey Prince, Agronak-gro-Malog?
I doubt his father's name was Malog o_o
hannaH

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:49 pm

How about this one:

Aye-gro weed

helpme-gro weed :whistling:
natalie mccormick

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Well, Orc names follow a pretty specific pattern, [First Name] [Gender Prefix]-[Last Name]. The First and Last names can be anything Orc-like, usually with quite a few B's, U's and Z's, and the Gender Prefix is gro if male, gra if female. For example, a Male Orc could be Khurz gro-Buz, and a female one could be Oghash gra-Bul.
Kanaoka

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:25 pm

ok, so just to get this out of the way, i have used the search bar, and only found a generic "what will you call your character" and specific Nord/Dunmer naming threads...

i have recently decided that my first playthrough of Skyrim will be an Orc (to look like http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IKzrWIsV5q4/Tawwxvs8MfI/AAAAAAAAAhw/aZz4JYD6Wv4/s1600/skyrim_orc.jpg guy) and then i got to thinking.... what will i call him? (its gonna be a male)

i just had a blast on Oblivion and saw some names there like Burz-Gro-Kash and Wo-Ma-Arum and i just dont get them... is there any method in choosing an Orc name?

so ok, who else is choosing an Orc, and what are you gonna name them? (maybe give me some inspiration :) )

In every game I've played,since Neverwinter Nights, that has Orcs I've had a character "B'tugh Lhi".
Sometimes his sister, "G'nar".
Also a not-so-nice Nord thief/assassin called "D'jurk".
Maybe think of a funny or just descriptive word that applies to your character and miss-spell it to sound Orcish-ish or Elvish-ish-ish or something? :D
Lalla Vu

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:11 pm

He was probably named after an uncle or grandfather then.
But he's a special circumstance anyway.
Josh Sabatini

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:26 pm

You sure about number 3?

Huh, looks like I was wrong. Then, I guess it is the last name, after checking the journal for the gray prince.
Spaceman

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:53 pm

check the UESP
Tikarma Vodicka-McPherson

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:28 pm

He was probably named after an uncle or grandfather then.
But he's a special circumstance anyway.

Well, that's true, he did say his mother tried to keep him from his father as much as possible.

Hm...I need a cool name for an Orc lady :confused:

Edit: Oh, did the journal confirm it's just the last name then?
SiLa

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:35 pm

You sure about number 3?

he was the halfcast right? i cant remember
Kate Schofield

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Edit: Oh, did the journal confirm it's just the last name then?
Malog was also his mom's last name. But, it could be his grandpepper.
Anna Watts

Post » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:21 am

I once had an Orc witch called Repugnose. Ahh those were the days.
Jade Payton

Post » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:37 am

hmmmm i never knew that :) thanks

Lam-Gro-Bert

hehe awesome :D

edit: Hellmouth? linky?

dude are you even fan of elder scrolls because if you were you should know that hellmouth is right and being not a fan of orcs its no excuse i like orcs but not their names but i still follow the orsimer system and give the gro or gra part
Josh Dagreat

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:21 pm

dude are you even fan of elder scrolls because if you were you should know that hellmouth is right and being not a fan of orcs its no excuse i like orcs but not their names but i still follow the orsimer system and give the gro or gra part

Don't be so hard on him.
I myself figured gro/gra part only after playing TES3 for year or so
Regarding surname being name of the father I'm not so sure- there were exceptions
I think actual system may be more complicated for cases that are somehow special

P.S. But Venator21, before making topic in forum, you were supposed to check UESP info on orsimers
Suzie Dalziel

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:33 pm

ok... the guy said read hellmouth.. i thought he was on about a book... yes i am a fan of TES... so like... woah... back off
Jani Eayon

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:03 pm

I only provided the facts, though I do admit I am fuzzy on the third name bit. After that, I could honestly care less what the OP does with it in his/her game.

If the OP wants to name the orc "Aye gro Weed," or something complete else, more power to the OP.

Also, I have no say when it comes to names. I'm just absolutely AWFUL when it comes to naming my characters.
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:50 pm

I only provided the facts, though I do admit I am fuzzy on the third name bit. After that, I could honestly care less what the OP does with it in his/her game.

If the OP wants to name the orc "Aye gro Weed," or something complete else, more power to the OP.

Also, I have no say when it comes to names. I'm just absolutely AWFUL when it comes to naming my characters.

and i thank you for the facts...

basically, the reason i (sort of) asked for a linky was because:

Read what Hellmouth wrote,

i thought this was a reference to a book, i hadnt actually read your name :P my bad i know

so please, enough of the bashing :) plus i am now a fan of Orcs, i shall be following his advice, i dont know he is right but i will trust that he is... and yes, i am a very big fan of TES :) :tes:
Dan Wright

Next

Return to V - Skyrim