Overpowered, as opposed to What?

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:21 am

Weapon classes still compare to each other, maxxed out melee for instance massively out dps's unarmed.
(G-yen)

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:41 pm

OP (or "broken" ) is when some combination of gear, weapons, or items combine to completely massacre enemies in a couple of seconds. In games with multiple player characters with unique skill trees, one can easily be OP compared to another. These combinations are generally errors in coding (Currently, the Yao Guai Roast is completely broken for melee characters) or just something that is unexpectedly strong (e.g. Two-Shot prefix, due to the way the damage is split between pellets and how damage resistance is handled). I would have liked all the enemies in Fallout 4 to be just a bit beefier, to help alleviate the OP combinations that can be achieved with certain Legendary items. As a side note, the new robot companions, if upgraded, are absolutely overpowered. My robot (I call her Mini Nuke) two-hit an Albino Deathclaw this morning... and then one-shot a normal deathclaw before I even saw it. So while OP is a relative term, it still has meaning when describing a game such as this.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I play exclusively on Very Hard difficulty... I don't even want to imagine what that robot could have done on Normal.

Nikki Lawrence

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:30 am

Who cares ? If you find something too good don't ask for it to become svcky, just don't use it. Or if you're on PC, nerf your own game.

Rachell Katherine

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:46 pm

The only time I found being over powered fun was when I threw on a cheat code to go do whatever I want with unlimited ammo and health, or awesome weapons.

As it stands I might as well be using cheat codes automatically anyways starting around level 15 if I pick the right perks or even just grab a combat rifle and mod it. Im actually avoiding going into certain trees/perks or getting certain clothes/armor because it basically just makes me too hard for the a.I. to kill. I basically found out how to be god mode on my first play just accidently picking the perks I thought would be fun or at least balance things out/give me a chance.

Love the game but the whole scary atmosphere kinda goes down the drain at this point and that's one of the main things that makes the game fun for me/sets the atmosphere.

....even on survival difficulties the only error you can make is accidently being to close to an explosion or getting swarmed.

Basically there aren't too many ways to not be overpowered unless your actively gimping yourself or don't know about the perks at all.

Alkira rose Nankivell

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:20 pm

I don't know about you, but I don't care if I end up "OP" at one point or another. The game is still fun to me. All I care about is exploring, doing quests, and learning more about the world and its lore - I'm not so concerned about the combat aspects. If it turns out easy because of my level or a weapon I have, then, well, that's great, so what? :)

SaVino GοΜ

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:08 am

And then blowing it up one grenade at a time buahaha!

I love YOu

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:17 pm

Being OP is the payoff for all the time and effort spent to rank up and perk out. When it gets too far gone, you start over, or go play a different game.

"You can now kick even more ass" is a lot better than "You are now slightly less mediocre".

Steve Fallon

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:27 pm

I dunno. I kind of disagree with the attitude that OP is okay in singleplayer games.

To me OP means a large portion of the game can lose your interest. I say can because OP can also mean you are more free to do weird things to your enemies, and find interesting ways in killing them. I spent ages with a raider in Concord trying to get him stuck in the Pulowski shelter... Didn't work and took too long. FO4 thankfully gives you a decent enough arsenal to enjoy yourself like that, but I do think you can go OP way too easily and you can lose interest at some point.

I would prefer Singleplayer games to adopt a levelling system which expands your arsenal and gives you situational advantages, as opposed to outright advantages through damage and health mods, but I doubt it's going to happen.

Danielle Brown

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:36 pm

Being overpowered only matters to those that complain about the game being too easy. I like to build op characters. I also like to build wimpy characters. Both aspects are really fun to me. .. There however are lots of people who can't seem to limit themselves. They build uber characters and then talk about how weapons are overpowered and how easy the game is.

Rachel Cafferty

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:09 pm

This too ^

If you pick defense, damage and crit multiplier perks and use top tier weapons and armor you don't get to complain that the game is easy, it's your own fault.

"Oh noes ! Using the best stuff in the game makes me powerful ! How can this be ?!"

Ilona Neumann

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:40 am

So it's the players fault that the AI has [censored] gear, skills and obiously shoots blank rounds?

Sharra Llenos

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:30 pm

No. That's not what Doominike said.

It's the player's fault if they make themselves "overpowered" by, for instance, picking Perks that multiply their damage and using the most powerful guns...obviously.

It's not the player's fault if they're an edgy badass who's far too awesome for the weedy AI.
Tamika Jett

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:20 pm

In RPG, I would mock the game if the properly raised player character is not overpowered demi-god by the end of the game. lol

Averielle Garcia

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:55 am

I think a distinction has to be made between self-imposed limitations and role-playing. Like, my Mr. Endurance and Doom Marine builds are definitely going to have an easier time than my wasteland knight (no drugs, all melee) or pirate queen (melee, explosives, and a pipe revolver only), but that's different from saying "I won't use a Wounding Automatic Plasma Scattergun because it's too powerful"...

Although I do avoid using ballistic weave on some things because I'm convinced that's a bug. I think this weekend I'll make a mod to nerf Wounding and Explosive effects.
Vicki Gunn

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:15 pm

So, players who know how to play a Fallout game are to blame here? So it's not a fundemental design issue with the game mechanics? In my opinion, the scenario you presented shouldn't be possible in the first place. The game should always stay challenging, because after some time that's the only reason there is to play the game.

Taylah Haines

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:13 am

I stated this in a thread the other day, but ill say it again

Telling other people not to use items/utilities given by the game itself is not an excuse to hand wave poor balance.

Any decently designed game should prevent the players attempts at becoming powerful. If the player wants to be a super powerful demi-god, thats what the difficulty slider is for. If anybody wants to keep their character who can kill anything on one hit, thats what easy is for. The harder difficulties should be for people who want the game to challenge them despite their efforts to gain the upper hand.

As it stands right now our slider consists of care bear mode-to normal.

EDIT: had to make that font bigger to get my point across.

James Baldwin

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:03 pm

People are saying no need to nerf things because it has 50/50 chance of becoming entertaining or ruining experience in single play game.

It is not wrong.

Developers will fix unintended things and dangerously game breaking elements though.

Dog meat item duplication was overpowered. It didn`t bother anyone. It is fixed. Good.

Gauss Rifle is overpowered. The gun makes all other rifles look like chump. It is not fixed. Good.

Ballistic Weave is too good, Explosive weapons are too good, these can be easily solved by not using them.

Latest complaints came out on Lone Wanderer perk & Hack perk.

Lone Wanderer perk is working as intended and will never be fixed. I guarantee you that.

Remote hack? This one is just silly. Right now I seldom use it, but I will be happy to see it fixed.

Cody Banks

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:30 am

When something makes the game easy af on survival it's OP

the challenge shouldn't die once you get some item/perk. perks you can plan ahead I guess but if you have to try not to break the game it's poorly balanced imo

tossing cool new loot because it turns the game into zuma svcks

Hannah Whitlock

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:44 am

I don`t think single element ruins FO4 experience.

...but the combination of full damage perks + certain weapon + sneak (or power armor) can definitely make the game too easy.

...but those are there to make the game as easy as possible..

Steven Nicholson

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:03 pm

Not being hard doesn't mean it's flawed, it could just be because the devs don't want it to be particularly hard. All Beth RPGs are easy, this shouldn't be a surprise by now

Daddy Cool!

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:30 pm

It would be nice if Bethesda also ramped up the difficulty for Very Hard, for players that want increased difficulty without worrying about food, water and sleep, since they're reworking Survival.

Rachel Hall

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:26 pm

I agree, which is why we as fans should be even more vocal about the lack of balance in their games since this is a long running issue. I'm hoping when the new survival mode comes out some of these issues will have been addressed.

chloe hampson

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:14 pm

No level cap was fine, but they should have capped SS HP to be no higher than 1000.

The game would have been ok even in later game if that was the case.

Len swann

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:15 am

The HP is absolutely ridiculous in 4, so I completely agree with that.
Kari Depp

Post » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:49 pm

I actually take the mole rat disease to gimp myself even more to try and balance it.....

lol joking but at this point im not as worried about something like that, before when I saw it I was like "whoa! thatll hurt later" and its really the equivalent to having a permanent scratch.

Jessica Stokes

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 4