Pacifist Morrowind. Possible?

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:16 am

The title says it all. Can I play through Morrowind, without killing anyone or anything?

I want to play a very agile thief, who prefers to talk her way out of trouble.

Can you suggest a good character build? What factions can I join? Which house is best?

Thanks!

ETA: Is there a way to make a calm spell that lasts for more than 30 seconds?
cutiecute

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:31 am

NOTE: I'm including spoilers in here, but I'm assuming if you're going to try this you're familiar with the game already. ;)

Hm. Two of the main quests specifically require killing, so that would be a problem for you right there... unless you're willing to exclude House Dagoth members from your pacifism, of course. You'd have to skip the Hortator and Nerevarine quests (Redoran and Telvanni, as well as the Erabenimsun, require killing regular NPCs) by having a high level and reputation.

I believe you can technically do the Imperial Cult without killing anyone. I'm not sure about the Thieves' Guild, but that's probably doable as well. Both require you to know what you're doing, of course. I'm fairly sure all of the Great Houses absolutely require killing people to reach the top rank, though. Hlaalu's the best in that regard, I believe, and may be possible, so long as you don't mind having to stop at the second part of your stronghold.
Vincent Joe

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:34 am

NOTE: I'm including spoilers in here, but I'm assuming if you're going to try this you're familiar with the game already. ;)

I believe you can technically do the Imperial Cult without killing anyone. ...

There is one Imperial Cult task (shrine sargaent task) that does require killing. IIRC, the almoner and healer paths do not require killing.

John
Marie

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:11 pm

I found this interesting thread on another forum, saying it is possible to complete the main quest:

I just discovered in interesting feature of Morrowind and Bloodmoon. You can play them and complete the main quests without ever killing another humanoid (discounting werewolves and vampires).

Has anyone else here done that? If you haven't tried it I recommend it. It's an interesting challenge. You have to do almost every freelance and guild quest you can that doesn't involve killing or causing the death of another human, elf, or orc. Does anyone know if you can get enough reputation points without any killing, even creatures? Mods that give reputation points as a reward might help (but I didn't use any of those).

I have a Breton Wanderer (custom class) who shattered the Heart at level 28 and then defeated the Aspect of Guile at level 31. Tribunal is a problem since there are a number of deaths required by the story line. But I did have Tribunal loaded so there are quite a few calmed and trapped Dark Brotherhood assassins scattered all over the countryside. After the first few I learned to never sleep indoors in a place I might want to visit again. Recalming them can be quite a pain.

Alchemy, Mysticism, Speechcraft, Illusion, and Alteration are the Major skills. Restoration, Enchant, Mercantile, Conjuration, and Spear are Minor skills but only Restoration and Spear were developed much (and the Spear was only ever used on creatures and Daedra). Athletics, Acrobatics and Light Armor are developed better than the minor skills through training and heavy use. If you're a pacifist you're going to spend a lot of time running. Smile

I had to join almost every faction but was limited in the specific quests I could complete. I made it to Master Wizard in the Mages Guild with only one step from the top. I did almost as well in the religious groups as an Invoker in the Imperial Cult and Diviner in the Temple (two steps to go). Strangely, the next best group to join turned out to be House Telvanni! (3 steps to go) I made it to Bandit in the Thieves Guild and Swordsman in the Fighters Guild.

As a Telvanni, I made the rank of Wizard and got stage 2 of my stronghold completed. So I now have a house in the Skaal Village and a mushroom tower in the middle of the Molag Amur wasteland. You would think the Telvanni could do a little better for the Nerevarine.

From here: http://forums.elricm.com/emma/viewtopic.php?t=1654
Chloe Lou

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:53 am

That's a challenge for sure.

I once suggested the creation of a mod for those of the healing ways. One that was timed released and perpetual, where you were charged with doing everything that a healer would be faced with:

Healing the sick/ injured
Helping those who were waylayed in a caravan by bandits (these can be continuous and random!)
Helping deliver a child from a pregnant woman on the roads
Helping a highwayman/woman, only to get threatened with death because you've seen their face
Helping those bizarre mages who in some of the tales mated with guars for arcane powers. Imagine you have to "uncork" a few, and weeks to months later uncork the same idiots because they are repeat offenders.
Helping those afflicted with blight/ poison/ and so forth from the remaining vermin.
Then there were the mercy killings, where the person is too far gone to be saved, but they beg you to end their pain and suffering. A dichotomy for sure.
Helping to cover up illnesses and indiscretions of the Great Houses, since they still would be as corrupt as they are.
Have a central location for the Guild of Healers where you go to for learning, assignments, and to be praised/reprimanded for your actions and the results.

Add some lore friendly suppliers of both raw and made items. Go to the witch-folk for poultices that they can only make, or healers in town for supplies that are rare.

Even have a few that could be tied to some people mods, like caring for the health of tavern staff and guards with injuries and such.

The world's your oyster really, just limited by your imagination and your own playing style.

If taking a life is absolutely forbidden by edict, then that would force one to really keep those chameleon and invisibility spells up for when you come across those you'd rather not engage. Could be done, if there were an interested party in crafting such a mod.
Lyndsey Bird

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:49 pm

You will have to kill some people in Morrowind to complete most or all of the quests, as pointed out. However you can be pretty peaceful and complete the game. Most quests are better done peacefully as you get a few better quests later on due to that.
Lucy

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:25 pm

The title says it all. Can I play through Morrowind, without killing anyone or anything?

You have to kill one creature to complete Morrowind.
brenden casey

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Quick side note: I discovered that oftentimes, the way the journal entries work, you have to kill someone when ordered to even if it doesn't seem necessary. In a Tribunal side-quest for instance I was told to fetch a guy's armor and sword that he had on his person. I did so without killing him. Didn't count.
Emily Jeffs

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 am

In that case, I would simply update the quest through the console, as I find that very limiting that killing is the ONLY way.
Robyn Lena

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:55 pm

I want to play a very agile thief, who prefers to talk her way out of trouble.

Can you suggest a good character build? What factions can I join? Which house is best?

Thanks!

ETA: Is there a way to make a calm spell that lasts for more than 30 seconds?

I'm not sure about the rest of the game, but I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about Dagoth Ur, since he generally falls in the lava below the Heart. :tongue:
SexyPimpAss

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:27 pm

The main quest can't be done
Mages guild, fighters guild,and the imperial guard or w/e all require killing someone at some point
I think you can do the temple, and other imperial faction
The thieves guild can be done, they do not believe in killing
Stay away from the morag tong
Thats all I can think of right now I have not played morrowind in a couple of years now.
Alberto Aguilera

Post » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:04 pm

To complete the main quest, you will have to kill dagoth gares, all of the war-loving Erabensium, the vampire Cavalario, Bolyn Venim, Archmagister Gothren, Wraith of Sul-Senipul , and Dagoth Ur.

You should be able to complete all of the imperial cult missions besides the shrine sergeant and oracle quests, all of the thieves guild missions besides kill Hard-Hart and kill Ieinth, many of the mages guild quests, most of the house hlaalu or house telvanni quests, and many of the temple's quest as well.

Obviously almost none of the fighters guild quests and none of the morag tong quests, and very few of House Redoran oe imperial legion either.
Sweet Blighty

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:36 am

Hm. Two of the main quests specifically require killing, so that would be a problem for you right there... unless you're willing to exclude House Dagoth members from your pacifism, of course. You'd have to skip the Hortator and Nerevarine quests (Redoran and Telvanni, as well as the Erabenimsun, require killing regular NPCs) by having a high level and reputation.

I believe you can technically do the Imperial Cult without killing anyone. I'm not sure about the Thieves' Guild, but that's probably doable as well. Both require you to know what you're doing, of course. I'm fairly sure all of the Great Houses absolutely require killing people to reach the top rank, though. Hlaalu's the best in that regard, I believe, and may be possible, so long as you don't mind having to stop at the second part of your stronghold.

The Thieves Guild quest requires killing the leader (Sjoring Hard-heart in Vivec) of the Fighters Guild who has been corrupted by the Cammona Tong and the Ienith brothers at the Dren Manor who are enforcers for the Cammone Tong.
Chris Ellis

Return to III - Morrowind