Papyrus Fragments are killing me

Post » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm trying to add a fragment to a perk entry point. In the fragment I just want to call a function that is in a quest script.

Now, I know *exactly* how to do that in any normal script but declaring the property in the fragment causes compiler errors and then I can't do anything else to the fragment. Anything I try to do results in errors.

So when I try to declare (this is in an Activate Perk Entry Point, in the Papyrus Fragment section) a property:

TVMMainQuestScript Property TVMMainQuest Auto

It creates a script (I'm not a fan of that behavior) and then smacks me in the face with an error:

Spoiler
SCRIPTS: Cannot open store for class "TVM_PRKF_TVMMyCustomPerk_01004363", missing file?

So I try to edit the properties and... nothing happens. I click the Properties button... and nothing. No behavior. So I right-click, edit source, Save and I get

Spoiler

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...
Compiling "TVM_PRKF_TVMMyCustomPerk_01004E63"...
c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\TVM_PRKF_TVMCustomPerk_01004E63.psc(8,19): no viable alternative at input 'Property'
c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\temp\TVM_PRKF_TVMCustomPerk_01004E63.psc(10,0): missing EOF at 'EndFunction'
No output generated for TVM_PRKF_TVMCustomPerk_01004E63, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
Failed on TVM_PRKF_TVMCustomPerk_01004E63

So I see "no viable" etc and I try to hit the Properties again... and nothing.

THEN, if I just hit Okay to get out of the Perk Entry, a new script gets added to the perk (visible in the Papyrus Scripts section) but when I try to do *anything* with it, the Kit backhands me (backhands are more insulting then regular slaps, mind you) with "Errors encountered while attempting to reload the script" then I get a grey window in which I can do nothing.

I know that this is possible. Bethesda's VampireFeed perk does this - it declares a property (PlayerVampireQuestScript Property PlayerVampireQuest) just like I did and then calls a function from the quest script.

So why won't mine work? Do I need to somehow create the fragment separately from the perk and then add that script to the perk before trying to declare my property in the Entry Point? Or is it something else that I'm missing?

(There's *painfully* little in the way of Papyrus Fragment information on the Wiki)
BRAD MONTGOMERY

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 am

I'm having the same problems. Not with a perk, but getting properties to work with fragments in general. They svck.
Lexy Dick

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:04 am

Yes, they do svck. I am thoroughly (blankin blank blank blank blank blank)

This one stupid little hiccup is the only thing stopping me from finishing this mod.
Charlie Sarson

Post » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Hoo boy, don't get me started. If it wasn't for this fragment that just won't play nice, I could get some serious work done.
Celestine Stardust

Post » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:29 pm

I have no problems with fragments, and that's because I figured out how to tame them.

Here's how I usually organize things:

1. first put an empty space in end fragment form (no any other code there) and close that quest window (this creates a file with generic papyrus fragment)
2. reopen quest window, and R-click on that fragments name -> edit code
3. then declare any properties at the end of the code -> ctrl+s to save and compile then close the window with code
4. highlight name of the script then press Properties button and assign values to properties if needed
5. finally paste actual code into the fragment form (without any declarations of properties there!)

above "procedure" always works for me, and rarely complains that something is wrong...
Greg Cavaliere

Post » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:18 pm

I have no problems with fragments, and that's because I figured out how to tame them.

Here's how I usually organize things:

1. first put an empty space in end fragment form (no any other code there) and close that quest window (this creates a file with generic papyrus fragment)
2. reopen quest window, and R-click on that fragments name -> edit code
3. then declare any properties at the end of the code -> ctrl+s to save and compile then close the window with code
4. highlight name of the script then press Properties button and assign values to properties if needed
5. finally paste actual code into the fragment form (without any declarations of properties there!)

above "procedure" always works for me, and rarely complains that something is wrong...

Dude... you rock.

Using roughly the same approach I was able to do the same thing with a perk. When I added function calls to the entry point fragment though, I regenerated the function name before I closed out - it just increments the number attached to that function. I don't know if that's necessary every time I change the code but it sure as heck isn't hurting anything.

Artisanix, thanks for setting me on the right path!
NAkeshIa BENNETT

Return to V - Skyrim