Pets as companions

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 7:01 am

I would really love to see companions that are non-humanoids and that there would be more than 1 of them in the game, perhaps a merchant that trains dogs to protect humans, some that are trained for hunting and spotting enemies and such. It would be really cool to sneak in the forest, my hunting dog with me to spot enemies for me. When there would be human enemies, the dog would growl and when there is an animal nearby it could lay low with it's ears pointing straight up. Depending on how well it has been trained, it could show more signs that you can learn to anolyze to know what is on the other side of a rock.

Other possible pets could be a hunting falcon, flying above you, flying in circles above enemies so you knwo where they are.

Would you like to see pets in Skyrim, some that would help you in combat like a really touch guard dog, and others that simply give support as spotters? Maybe find your lost arrows for you if you miss the enemy?
Jesus Lopez

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 1:10 am

The only animal I want to use is a Pack Animal. Other than that, they are a waste and useless to me. Companions of any kind get in the way. Pack Animals should be in and should be able to tell them to stop and leave them when you want to.
FITTAS

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:02 am

Heck yes!
john palmer

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 9:08 am

Could be fun... Like the Hawk idea. It could find locations to add to your map.
Penny Courture

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 1:36 pm

The only animal I want to use is a Pack Animal. Other than that, they are a waste and useless to me. Companions of any kind get in the way. Pack Animals should be in and should be able to tell them to stop and leave them when you want to.

For expanded inventory?
victoria johnstone

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:54 pm

I want a couple of rabid pit bulls for my pets/guards/traveling companions.
Ludivine Poussineau

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 4:11 am

I think this could add a new dynamic to it. But, of course, it's a two-way street. You must feed and treat your pet kindly and build a rapport between you. Then it will become more effective in what task it does, and less likely to run/fly off, causing you to have to chase after it.

For example, you couldn't take your newly purchased puppy hunting in the wilderness with you because it might run off/start barking and scare any animals off (or attract foes)/generally misbehave. You would train it for a while and once a rapport has been established, it would be less inclined to do such things.

It can't be like Fable, where you can tell your dog off as many times as you want and generally be a [censored] to it, and it never wavers in its loyalty.
Kevan Olson

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:16 pm

I'd love to have pets. Even to have a dog that's not trained to do anything, it would just be my companion. :hugs:
Lloyd Muldowney

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:58 am

Hmmm.... There could be different dog breeds and stuff. Hike a hound for tracking, a military type dog that attacks enemies, even a little terrier that finds hidden items.
Christine

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 3:06 am

The pet wouldn't need to be one that attacks and gets in the way. All followers in games I know that use melee tend to do this, this is why I'd want a hunting dog instead. And one that could be bought in a similar way as horses were bought in Oblivion, but maybe only if the dog likes you enough. A touch dog would not follow a weakling wood elf, but a strong nord or an orc would get its respect. While the hunting dog might follow a wood elf, as wood elf tend to be cautious and observant.
Jessica Raven

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 5:48 am

The pet wouldn't need to be one that attacks and gets in the way. All followers in games I know that use melee tend to do this, this is why I'd want a hunting dog instead. And one that could be bought in a similar way as horses were bought in Oblivion, but maybe only if the dog likes you enough. A touch dog would not follow a weakling wood elf, but a strong nord or an orc would get its respect. While the hunting dog might follow a wood elf, as wood elf tend to be cautious and observant.

I don't think the dogs should be racist. A dog will follow anyone but if it is treated badly it won't like the person who treats it badly and if it is treated really badly it won't like anyone. Most dogs will follow you to the ends of the earth if you pet it and feed it regularly.
Evaa

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 10:33 am

I always loved the skinned dog from the shivering Isles and wished I could take him with me back to Cyrodill.

and i was always protecting him cuz if he died he was gone :/
sophie

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 8:30 am

I think this could add a new dynamic to it. But, of course, it's a two-way street. You must feed and treat your pet kindly and build a rapport between you. Then it will become more effective in what task it does, and less likely to run/fly off, causing you to have to chase after it.

For example, you couldn't take your newly purchased puppy hunting in the wilderness with you because it might run off/start barking and scare any animals off (or attract foes)/generally misbehave. You would train it for a while and once a rapport has been established, it would be less inclined to do such things.

It can't be like Fable, where you can tell your dog off as many times as you want and generally be a [censored] to it, and it never wavers in its loyalty.

This is a really good idea, but the training period shouldn't be too long, in real life you'd have to train it a year. This is why there could be trainers that already have trained dogs with them, and it's up to the dog if he/she respects you. Keeping it fed and in good shape and not leaving alone for too long would be vital parts to keep it happy and up to the task it is supposed to do.
Steve Smith

Post » Mon May 16, 2011 11:07 pm

I want a sabretooth cat as a pet.

Which bring's me to a previous idea I had for TES 5 back in the day. Becoming a beast master. The ability to train wild animals to be you'r pet.

Maybe it'll be a perk?
Maria Leon

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 6:54 am

I always loved the skinned dog from the shivering Isles and wished I could take him with me back to Cyrodill.

and i was always protecting him cuz if he died he was gone :/

Strange, I don't remember that dog (was it inside New Sheoth?). Was it alive?
Marie

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:39 pm

I don't think the dogs should be racist. A dog will follow anyone but if it is treated badly it won't like the person who treats it badly and if it is treated really badly it won't like anyone. Most dogs will follow you to the ends of the earth if you pet it and feed it regularly.

It actually has something to do with what type of dog it is, there are some of the bigger dogs who really are hard to train, especially if you are a child (=wood elf). But I see your point, it might be better if the player simply could choose any type of dog, given that he respects it as much as the dog respects you.

Hmm, sabertooth cat as a pet.. well, maybe a small one? otherwise it'll eat ya :hubbahubba:
Becky Palmer

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Strange, I don't remember that dog (was it inside New Sheoth?). Was it alive?

You had to complete a quest for the one Orc in crucible(i think), by chasing a Khajiit out of town.
LijLuva

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:57 am

I'd like to have a dog to hunt rabbits with.

I also like the falcon idea. It could work really well.
Megan Stabler

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 7:29 am

It actually has something to do with what type of dog it is, there are some of the bigger dogs who really are hard to train, especially if you are a child (=wood elf). But I see your point, it might be better if the player simply could choose any type of dog, given that he respects it as much as the dog respects you.

Perhaps each individual pet has a lift of races is get's a disposition boost towards? Therefore, it makes it easier to train a pet which likes your race, but not impossible to train a pet that doesn't like your race - just harder? Eg, most dogs would be none too fond of Khajits since they're feline.
Alyce Argabright

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 9:53 am

Hmm I think as far as a kid trying to raise something like a mastiff it is more about size than anything. If you aren't big enough to do something when a dog misbehaves it won't listen lol. I do think some kind of starting disposition would work because as it is mentioned, how many dogs would like giant cat people?
john page

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 1:19 am

For expanded inventory?

Exactly. Even horses in Oblivion got in the way when you had to get off of it to do combat. I only need an animal to expand my inventory. Anything else gets in the way for me.
rae.x

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Exactly. Even horses in Oblivion got in the way when you had to get off of it to do combat. I only need an animal to expand my inventory. Anything else gets in the way for me.

The should throw in mounted combat. It drove me crazy not being able to shoot a bow from my horse.
Megan Stabler

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 7:32 am

Perhaps each individual pet has a lift of races is get's a disposition boost towards? Therefore, it makes it easier to train a pet which likes your race, but not impossible to train a pet that doesn't like your race - just harder? Eg, most dogs would be none too fond of Khajits since they're feline.

Hmm I think as far as a kid trying to raise something like a mastiff it is more about size than anything. If you aren't big enough to do something when a dog misbehaves it won't listen lol. I do think some kind of starting disposition would work because as it is mentioned, how many dogs would like giant cat people?

Exactly what I mean, a starting disposition would be a great way. But dogs wouldn't have to be the only animal sort that could work as a pet, I personally would love to have both a hunting dog and a hunting falchon with following my huter, marking the pray far ahead.

Can anyone come up with reasonable animals that could work as pets, both inside and outside of combat/exploring and normal city life?
Hazel Sian ogden

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 12:56 pm

From someone who plans to be a "hunter" type of character, I think this is a horrible idea.

The whole pet companion thing is so overused in games these days, it's hard to find a game where you can build a viable ranged class WITHOUT having a pet.
dav

Post » Tue May 17, 2011 5:17 am

As long as my Dunmer can have Argonian pets, I like the idea.
Love iz not

Next

Return to V - Skyrim