Physics bugs in Skyrim at more than 60fps ?!

Post » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:33 am

I just bought a 120Hz monitor. I started Skyrim, and now obviously i have 120fps in the game. But from the start i noticed some strange things, physics bugs, NPC just flowing around and making strange things, water strange effects, strange sounds effects on land, as if i was swimming and many other things, oh, people trembling and animals too.

Then i limited the fps at 60fps, and i didn't had any of those problems. I must ask, why the engine doesn't like more than 60fps ? There is a fix for this ?

If i limit my fps to 60fps the game starts to play very sluggish and jerky has input lag and flicker and ghosting, it hurst my eyes and head.

If i don't cap the fps i get super smooth playthrough without any issues, only that issues i explained above, so i can't play at 120fps, since even quests are affected, they dont trigger proper anymore.

So what's the problem ? How i can make the game run smooth at 60fps on my 120Hz monitor ? If i switch back to 60hz i get the same nasty gameplay. My monitor is meant to be played at high framerates, but the nasty engine of Skyrim doesn't allow this...

Darlene DIllow

Post » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:34 pm

The fix is to limit the game to 60 FPS. That's just how the game works. :shrug:
BRIANNA

Post » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:36 pm

I run it with my monitor set to either 60 or 120 with no trouble. Just a guess...are you using an ATI video card?
Rhysa Hughes

Post » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:40 am

I second this, unfortunately.

On my old PC, vsync was always off due to performance issues. I always saw dishes flying and NPCs floating. New PC, I have vsync always on, constant 60 FPS and no flying apples or dancing horses!

You could try the http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/34//? but only downside is you have to have vsync off which results in some screen tearing.

A Lo RIkIton'ton

Post » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Problem is with these 120Hz monitors, that when i switch them to 60Hz, games (talking here about Skyrim) run on a 120hz monitor nerfed to 60Hz, the game runs too bad, has nasty input lag, flickering, ghosting, very low responce time in general, it bumps up to super speed when it's on 120Hz.

Right now i've disabled vsync in the game, and i enabled in nvidia control panel, adaptive vsync on half refresh rate, to have 60fps. And now the game seems its running a little smooth at 60fps.

I mean an 120hz monitor switched to 60Hz is very slow, compared with an only-60hz normal monitor. This is very odd.

Karl harris

Post » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:28 pm

So you do have an nvidia card. If you don't already have it, try the latest driver. The reason I asked about ATI is the 5000 series and 120 hz monitors don't work well together.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
nath

Post » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:48 pm

I doubt this is helpful to anybody.

But still I thought I could mention, that I have always run Skyrim on a high-quality old-fashioned tube monitor (ViewSonic P227f) at 85 Hz(*, and I have never had any issues, that might even remotely relate to physics or stuttering. At first with an old GF 8800GT (1024MB), and now with a GF GTX680 (4096 MB).

*) And I have verified, by looking at the delay scripts have when they wait for the next refresh, that that is also the rate at which the game engine works (or at least scripts are run).

P.S.

No ini-tweaks of any kind, that would relate to the matter, V-Sync on as is standard.

Emily Jeffs

Post » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:33 am

On adaptive vsync half refresh rate from 120hz, makes the game smooth in terms of ghosting and flickering, but has nasty and big input lag from the mouse, and it makes my head to spin around cuz the big input lag.

So basically every frame from 60fps makes the game physics to run nuts ? right now i will try to put the monitor at 85Hz and play a little to tell if the issue is reduced or nearly no happening.

There is some thing to reduce the mouse input lag ? Or it's related to my monitor because is 120Hz and i use him now at 60fps/60Hz.

TIhIsmc L Griot

Post » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:57 pm

You can try to change:

iPresentInterval=0 in Skyrim.ini file and
bMouseAcceleration=0 in Skyrimprefs.ini

---------------------------------

But you can go to your Nvidia contol panel -> Manage 3D settings and try to lower:

Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: from 3 (default) to 2 or even 1.

( controls the number of frames the CPU prepares in advanced of being rendered by the GPU. The default value is 3 - higher values tend to result in smoother but more laggy gameplay,

while lower values can help reduce mouse and keyboard lag. However extremely low values such as 0 may hurt performance. )

-----------------------------------

And yes Skyrim at 120hz, have problems like game clock desync and physics glitches, i think the right now is to run it at 60 Hz with Vsync=on

Bur again enabling vsynch limits the maximum amount of fps to your refresh rate, so if you have a 120 hz monitor you're still screwed.

Adaptive vsync on half refresh rate, is a good solution for now, but i think the game isn't designed to run at 120fps. Maybe it was a limitation to make it easier to port this game on consoles...

------------------------------------

You can try just putting skyrim in windowed mode with the borderless configuration tool.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4/?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/36177/?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24/?

...and that utility too: Nvidia inspector http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/nvidia_inspector_download.html

Have helped some people with 120Hz Monitors. !!!!!

James Rhead

Post » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:27 pm

Ok, seems if i exceed 100 fps it has problems. Putted the monitor to 100hz, and capped the fps to 99 fps. Played some quests like a regular person, and i didn't saw something strange, everything played normal.

chloe hampson

Post » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:38 am

That sounds great, and it is nice to know about the 100 Hz threshold.

I have sometimes thought, that if my tube monitor kicks the bucket one day, I must get one that has a wide variety of available refresh rates, as 60Hz seems to be just about the most inconvenient one for Skyrim, particularly in terms of potential stuttering.

josh evans

Post » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:06 pm

Nope seems it does the same, but a little lower. Just fast traveled into a open place at 100Hz and 99fps cap, and the animals does the same trembling.

[censored], seems this engine doesn't know past 60fps.

The physics problems and the animations/sun problems, are happening random, somethimes they don't trigger, and somethimes they trigger, you can't reproduce them.

I was on 99fps on 100Hz and saw a dog trembling in the distance, then switched back to desktop and capped the fps to 60, and the problem was gone, same with some shadows problem, they moved without reason, then capped the fps to 60 and they were fixed.

Seems the game really doesn't know past 60fps. And i need to play it on nasty input mouse lag if i cap the fps on half refresh rate. I think i will try to make it half refresh to have 60fps then i will cap it on 59fps to reduce the input lag a little, at the cost of playing with flickering. (due to 60fps compared with his double, 120fps).

anna ley

Post » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:08 am

Sorry to hear about that, but I can only restate, that I have seen no issues at 85 Hz with my rig (or 75 Hz for that matter).

(I don't think it makes any difference, but I could also state, that in terms of CPU, I currently have an i5-2500K, but I have also played nicely on an old AMD socket 939 FX-60 at the same frame rate.)

P.S.

Unfortunately I am unable to offer any advice on FPS limiters, as I have never had a need to use one.

Abel Vazquez

Post » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:57 pm

I must ask, there is a fps limiter than i can limit the fps to 59.59, with comma ?

adame

Return to V - Skyrim