Playing game

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:31 am

Why in the heck do I have to download the game before I can play it. I thought that is why I have the dvd. With my very slow internet connection, i won't be able to play until late tomorrow. What do I need to do so I can play now?
Lizs

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:05 am

because of steam. You cant play now.
dell

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:16 pm

You need steam I guess.
Theodore Walling

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:49 pm

You're not downloading the game, you're downloading the patches...
I believe the game is unplayable prior to having the latest patches installed, I BELIEVE.
Monika

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:25 am

You're not downloading the game, you're downloading the patches...
I believe the game is unplayable prior to having the latest patches installed, I BELIEVE.

This is JUST PLAIN STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell would I do if I didn't have internet? Just throw my money at Walmart and get nothing back. THAT IS JUST PLAIN ASS STUPID.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amy Siebenhaar

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:52 pm

This is JUST PLAIN STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell would I do if I didn't have internet? Just throw my money at Walmart and get nothing back. THAT IS JUST PLAIN ASS STUPID.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you had no internet, you would be coerced into playing the game in its unfixed state, a state rumored to be quite... buggy. You'd much prefer to play after downloading the patches, than to play the game in its original state, believe you me.
james reed

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:51 pm

If you had no internet, you would be coerced into playing the game in its unfixed state, a state rumored to be quite... buggy. You'd much prefer to play after downloading the patches, than to play the game in its original state, believe you me.

You have to download the game for the PC.
Sarah Unwin

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:07 pm

Is that so? I stand corrected then.
Bek Rideout

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:03 pm

I would rather just go home and play the DAMN GAME. Instead, I am stuck over at my mother-in-laws downloading patches that is going to take another day to day 1/2. This is just plain STUPID.
Chloe :)

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:24 pm

Then what the [censored] is on the [censored] DVD in the box?
Sarah Kim

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:32 pm

Learn to read the packaging...you know where it says "Internet connection REQUIRED to play." Also Any game the has Steam as DRM needs to "verify and decrypt your files" or some such so needs to be run through a Download and patching by the Steam client before you can turn on "offline mode" and play with out a internet connection.
Nina Mccormick

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Then what the [censored] is on the [censored] DVD in the box?

It's a key to download the game.
Connor Wing

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:46 pm

Learn to read the packaging...you know where it says "Internet connection REQUIRED to play." Also Any game the has Steam as DRM needs to "verify and decrypt your files" or some such so needs to be run through a Download and patching by the Steam client before you can turn on "offline mode" and play with out a internet connection.

Well, I am sure glad that those [censored] people at Microsoft think that america is wired, and us [censored] hicks have internet that can download 6 gigs. My sat internet at home would take 3 days to download that amount if the sat company doesn't shut me down for exese download size.
Spaceman

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:20 am

Well, I am sure glad that those [censored] people at Microsoft think that america is wired, and us [censored] hicks have internet that can download 6 gigs. My sat internet at home would take 3 days to download that amount if the sat company doesn't shut me down for exese download size.

Hey I don't make the rules. *shrugs* I was one of the poor bastards that got HL2 day of release and had DIAL UP it took me 2 weeks of downloading for like 10 hours a night to be able to play the (like 6 disc's that came with in the box)game. Thats with the early steam "extra crappyness" servers. I think it's all a load of bullcrap too...but what can you do wither put up with it or don't buy the games.

(It was gamesas that decided to make the game use STEAM DRM didn't they?)
adam holden

Post » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:36 am

Hey I don't make the rules. *shrugs* I was one of the poor bastards that got HL2 day of release and had DIAL UP it took me 2 weeks of downloading for like 10 hours a night to be able to play the (like 6 disc's that came with in the box)game. Thats with the early steam "extra crappyness" servers. I think it's all a load of bullcrap too...but what can you do wither put up with it or don't buy the games.

(It was gamesas that decided to make the game use STEAM DRM didn't they?)

I am not blaming you. Just venting. I don't know what copy of HL2 you got, but my copy played straight from the disk. I didn't have to activate it to play. That was back when I live in the big city and didn't care. Back then, it would have only taken about a hour to download Fallout New Vegas.
Trey Johnson

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Wait...what? I haven't bought a game on PC since they started getting too good for my PC to handle, so can someone clarify? If I buy PC game at a store I can't play it without internet?
Margarita Diaz

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:12 pm

Read the packaging carefully. Anything with Steam DRM you will need to be able to connect to the internet atleast once to get it to "verify and decrypt" then you can turn it to "offline mode" and not need a internet connection. (you won;t be able to grab the patches for said game if the patches are only provided by Steam however. )

Some DRM like Assassin creed II need constant internet connection to work (What a horror that was.) Anyway No not EVERY GAME on a PC needs the internet to play. It will say if it does, right in the same place as you find the system specs.
Pat RiMsey

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Read the packaging carefully. Anything with Steam DRM you will need to be able to connect to the internet atleast once to get it to "verify and decrypt" then you can turn it to "offline mode" and not need a internet connection. (you won;t be able to grab the patches for said game if the patches are only provided by Steam however. )

Some DRM like Assassin creed II need constant internet connection to work (What a horror that was.) Anyway No not EVERY GAME on a PC needs the internet to play. It will say if it does, right in the same place as you find the system specs.

Wow, I've been away from PC gaming for far too long.
Laura Cartwright

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:04 am

Wow, I've been away from PC gaming for far too long.

Well if you have broadband its only like an extra few minutes of "trouble". It's those that, don't have broadband or limited bandwith that start to get big problems. Also those that like to keep "clean" machines it just another "junk" program they have to put on there machines.
Sakura Haruno

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:51 pm

Wait...what? I haven't bought a game on PC since they started getting too good for my PC to handle, so can someone clarify? If I buy PC game at a store I can't play it without internet?

Sounds like if they are tied in with Steam you will have to have internet. I can't figure out why there is 6.27 gigs of data on the dvd, but yet, I still have to download the game from steam. It just don't make any sense. They must be following Obama's lead and just wasting money on worthless disk.
Rowena

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:42 am

Sounds like if they are tied in with Steam you will have to have internet. I can't figure out why there is 6.27 gigs of data on the dvd, but yet, I still have to download the game from steam. It just don't make any sense. They must be following Obama's lead and just wasting money on worthless disk.

You are NOT downloading the game....XD you certainly aren't DL 6 extra gigs...you get some files that read your installed copy to make sure it legit, and whatever files the steam client needs to "register" the game.
Chris Duncan

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:42 pm

So if you buy a game like this one, you can play it but won't have the patches if you don't have internet? I didn't know that Steam now handles the patches for games that are bought on disk.
Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:55 pm

You are NOT downloading the game....XD you certainly aren't DL 6 extra gigs...you get some files that read your installed copy to make sure it legit, and whatever files the steam client needs to "register" the game.
Ok, then why am I downloading 6,919.6 MB of data before I can play?
Emma Copeland

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:44 pm

So if you buy a game like this one, you can play it but won't have the patches if you don't have internet? I didn't know that Steam now handles the patches for games that are bought on disk.

No, you have to have internet to be able to play the game period. No internet, no play. It is a bunch of bull [censored].
Dale Johnson

Post » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:34 pm

WOW, only 5632.6 MB left out of 6919.6 MB til I get to play.
Stay-C

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas