Playing online

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:09 pm

I have been recently introduced to the new age video game world. A few months ago I was playing Majora's Mask on the 64, then I was introduced to Oblivion and fell in love. Last night I became the new madgod of the Shivering Isles and then bought myself a haunted house in Anvil. I didn't know that you could play online until yesterday! Is it completely different? Would I have to start all over and make a new Character? I guess what I am asking is, is playing online worth the $60 I would have pay to get it? Also don't judge me because I am technologically slow! :brokencomputer:

kyle pinchen

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:50 am

Oblivion has no "online" features at all.

CArlos BArrera

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:44 am

Just Skyrim?

Marie

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:18 am

The only Elder Scrolls games with online functionality are The Elder Scrolls Legends: Battlespire a linear dungeon-crawler from 1997, The Elder Scrolls Online an MMO from 2014, and the currently in beta card-battle game Elder Scrolls Legends.

Neither Oblivion or Skyrim have online functionality.

Matthew Warren

Post » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:28 am

You must be thinking of http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/home, which is a MMO.
But none of the TES games in the main series have any online aspects to them.

Lauren Graves

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:15 pm

The Elder Scrolls series comprises of 5 games. The first one is The Elder Scrolls:Arena. The second one is called The Elder Scrolls:Daggerfall. The third one is The Elder Scrolls:Morrowind. The fourth one that you love is called The Elder Scrolls:Oblivion. The last and latest one is called The Elder Scrolls:Skyrim.

Since that is a mouth full we just say there are 5 Elder Scrolls game, Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. All those are made from Bethesda Design Studios not to be confused with Bethesda Publishing.

All those games as well as Fallout 3 and 4, do not have multiplayer or any online play.

Now there is Elder Scrolls Online or ESO for short that is made by the owners of Bethesda Design Studios and Publishing and made an MMO (Massive Multi Online) play. There you need an Internet connection all the time because you can only play online. I use to play it, but taken a break for it for now. When I did play I never played it like an MMO with other people I just play it like it was Oblivion or the rest of the Elder Scrolls game, alone. :) I hope this helps.

Since you are new here, have a fishy stick. http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/703/Fishystick.jpg

Here is an explanation so you don't think I am crazy or weird. :) http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fishy-stick

Now for some more history form this old fart.

Now to make it more confusing, there is a spin off from Daggerfall that is called Battlespire that does have online multiplayer versus each other in combat. It never took off for it's time. It's an old game so graphics are horrible compared to todays graphics. :P Also there is Redguard that came out before Morrowind. Both Battlespire and Redguard are not considered part of the The Elder Scroll series though.

Now if you are interested, I believe, Bethesda is still giving out for free Arena and Daggerfall for those who want it. If interested I can see I can find the links for them or someone else can post them.

Davor

Crystal Clear

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:39 pm

Wanted to keep this separate since what I said above I wanted to help you in understanding the differences there and will keep this separate.

Is it worth the $60? I say yes, but for a lot of people they don't think it's worth it. Some people love anchovies on their pizza and love eating sardines out of cans. In other words what we think of worth is up to the individual. Not knowing what you like, what you dislike, what you are looking for in a game, it's hard to tell.

For me it's worth it. I don't play MMOs and don't care for them. I am a single player person, something you just like in Oblivion or the other TES games. So playing One Tamriel or Elder Scrolls Online (what ever they call it, they keep changing the name. :P) you can play it both ways. I love it because I can in most cases 99% of the time play by myself just like I was playing Oblivion, Skyrim, Morrowind etc. So I would say yes it's worth paying another $60 in your case.

In my case I paid $60 for PC when it first came out, but since back then it was a subscription based you needed to pay $18 a month Canadian to keep playing it, I gave up after one month on it. So you can say it wasn't worth it. Then it became Pay to play where you buy the game but don't need a subscription for it. When it came out to Xbox One I bought it again. I even ironically got a subscription for it and paid the $18 a month because they made it worth it now to play. I stopped playing on the Xbox One went back to PC since I finally can play it with a controller and nicer graphics was worth it. Because of life, I gave up on it for now.

Sorry for being long winded. What are you looking for in the game? Why do you want to play online? Do you want to play with other strangers on the internet or do you just want to play it as a single player game? Is money an issue? Is time an issue? With so many games, are you a person who can play multiple games or are you a person who plays one game then moves on to another game?

So if you tell us your expectations what you want in the online version which I believe we call ESO ( could be wrong so someone please correct me if this is not the case) we can say if it will be wroth it to your or not.

Davor

Daniel Holgate

Return to IV - Oblivion