Possible grindstone bug?

Post » Thu May 17, 2012 7:15 am

I've made it to the very first town and Hadvar's uncle has set me about crafting some items for him, as an introduction to the smithing system. I was able to craft him an iron dagger just fine, but then he asked me to temper it into a Fine Iron Dagger.
So I got the iron ingots, and go to the grindstone. I select Iron Dagger, and the menu says "R to craft". Then i get the "Do you want to improve this item" box and i select "YES", however then the box closes and nothing happens to the dagger.
I have the correct materials, and the iron dagger appears white in the menu. I've checked my keybinds and cleared R of any other functions, and restarted the game. I can't temper anything and I find this rather disappointing. I've tried equipping an unequipping the iron dagger. I've also tried at multiple grindstones.

Has this happened to anyone else and/or does anyone have suggestions on how I might be able to fix this?
Thanks in advance
!beef

Post » Thu May 17, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm not sure what the problem might be, but let me walk you through how I temper my weapons and maybe you're just missing something.

You open up the grindstone and you get a list of weapons that you can temper. Now, choose one and click on it. This will change the text of the weapon to something like "Iron Dagger(Fine)" instead of simply "Iron Dagger". Now you press "R" to craft it.

Since you didn't mention that step in your post I think this is what you're missing. If it's not, then I'm sorry I don't know how to help you.
adam holden

Post » Thu May 17, 2012 3:31 am

I'm not sure what the problem might be, but let me walk you through how I temper my weapons and maybe you're just missing something.

You open up the grindstone and you get a list of weapons that you can temper. Now, choose one and click on it. This will change the text of the weapon to something like "Iron Dagger(Fine)" instead of simply "Iron Dagger". Now you press "R" to craft it.

Since you didn't mention that step in your post I think this is what you're missing. If it's not, then I'm sorry I don't know how to help you.

I was doing it axactly the way you explained it, but i have found out why i couldn't temper any weapons.
Maybe if someone else is having the same problem, i found out that if you change the default keys like "R" for Ready to another key, it will not work properly (at least in my game).
I changed it back to the default keys and now the key "R" works properly again.

Thanks anyways guitar_xe for your reply.
Daddy Cool!

Post » Thu May 17, 2012 2:01 am

Oh, I've heard about that problem with keybidings. I think what people were saying is that if you rebind a key such as "R" to do something else it still shows "R" in the interface, but you now have to press the key that you bound to take the place of "R".
Bird

Return to V - Skyrim