Barenziah in Skyrim?

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:15 pm

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Interview_with_a_Dark_Elf

I've always been curious about the lifespan of elves. We all know they live much longer than all other races, is this true for the Dunmer as well? How many years would it take for you to be considered 'old'?
Alvur Relds: Well, I'm fifty, done my twenty years in the Service, and I'm in the prime of life. I expect another fifty good years, and then I'll be old, and slow, chatting with gaffers around the hearth for another twenty, thirty years. I've known mer still mind-sharp in their late hundreds, and heard of folk 200 and older. My family usually makes it to 120-130, providing we don't get sick or poked in the eye.

I don't know whether it's conflicting lore or what, but I'm sticking with this.
Bonnie Clyde

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:47 am

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Interview_with_a_Dark_Elf

I've always been curious about the lifespan of elves. We all know they live much longer than all other races, is this true for the Dunmer as well? How many years would it take for you to be considered 'old'?
Alvur Relds: Well, I'm fifty, done my twenty years in the Service, and I'm in the prime of life. I expect another fifty good years, and then I'll be old, and slow, chatting with gaffers around the hearth for another twenty, thirty years. I've known mer still mind-sharp in their late hundreds, and heard of folk 200 and older. My family usually makes it to 120-130, providing we don't get sick or poked in the eye.

I don't know whether it's conflicting lore or what, but I'm sticking with this.

That is indeed conflicting lore.
As I recall, a previous time this came up the concensus was made that a lower class Dunmer's lifespan is considerably shorter than that of an upper class one.
The upper class have easy access to skilled healers, have good education including in magic, have good and varied food, better housing and hygene and are a lot less likely to die in battle as a foot soldier.
A Dunmer who is a farmer and toils all his life, who is expected to serve in an army may live to two hundered and be old.
But that does not contradict the priviliged being able to live to a thousand.

And Barenziah is priviliged, skilled and lucky.
Albert Wesker

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:56 am

Ah, the real Barenziah... I remember exactly how I read that in Oblivion:

Wow, there are loads of books in this guild! I'll just pick them up and sell them to get money!

*does that for a bit*

OK, next haul - wait, Barenziah? Like, the queen in Tribunal! Awesome! I'll read this, it sounds interesting - and I never did get into all the lore stuff...

*starts reading*

Page 10... wow, this is... kinda long. Wait, how long is it?

*skips to end*

Page 50. Dear. God.

*puts book down*

*realises there are 11 more volumes*

*walks slowly away* XD

OT, could be cool, but she was already in Morrowind, so probably not. Beth don't really 'do' recurring characters (par Daedra and Ma'iq, of course).
des lynam

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:42 am

Ah, the real Barenziah... I remember exactly how I read that in Oblivion:

Wow, there are loads of books in this guild! I'll just pick them up and sell them to get money!

*does that for a bit*

OK, next haul - wait, Barenziah? Like, the queen in Tribunal! Awesome! I'll read this, it sounds interesting - and I never did get into all the lore stuff...

*starts reading*

Page 10... wow, this is... kinda long. Wait, how long is it?

*skips to end*

Page 50. Dear. God.

*puts book down*

*realises there are 11 more volumes*

*walks slowly away* XD

OT, could be cool, but she was already in Morrowind, so probably not. Beth don't really 'do' recurring characters (par Daedra and Ma'iq, of course).

Wow.
You sir, missed out on a great read.
Try the link to the Daggerfall version of those books youll find on this thread.
You will never look at Khajit in quite the same way again.

She wasnt just in Morrowind.
She was queen of Wayrest in Daggerfall and those wonderful books about her reveal she played a role in the events of Arena as well.
I would be really surprised if there wasnt at least a new book (series) about her.
CSar L

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:42 am

:flamethrower:

Barenziah ain't dead!
Amy Masters

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:56 am

That is indeed conflicting lore.
As I recall, a previous time this came up the concensus was made that a lower class Dunmer's lifespan is considerably shorter than that of an upper class one.
The upper class have easy access to skilled healers, have good education including in magic, have good and varied food, better housing and hygene and are a lot less likely to die in battle as a foot soldier.
A Dunmer who is a farmer and toils all his life, who is expected to serve in an army may live to two hundered and be old.
But that does not contradict the priviliged being able to live to a thousand.

And Barenziah is priviliged, skilled and lucky.

I can live with that. Maybe Skyrim will make it clear. :)
kevin ball

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:43 am

I have no doubt she still lives. Helseth however I dont know.

I killed Helseth and looted his uber ring. He`s dead, alright.
jaideep singh

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:41 am

I think it's 50-50 whether Barenziah and Helseth survived the Red Year. I'm hoping both did, because they're survivors and I like how Ted Peterson wrote these characters in the past (the original Lore RP for example). They may have been hit by a tsunami or two after the Ministry took out Vivec City and Red Mountain cooked off, plus there was the Argonian invasion of the devastated Morrowind. Though we don't know the extent of the damage on the mainland of Morrowind yet. I have the feeling we won't see Helseth and Barenziah in "Skyrim", but maybe we'll find a book that tells of their fate.
Alex [AK]

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:48 pm

I don't see why not, but I'd rather have Divath Fyr.
quinnnn

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:25 am

I just read the Real Barenziah and it was a fantastic book.

You lucky damn son-of-a-[CENSORED] I've searched all over DF for the famous un-censored copys I've got all books'till five... damn... cept one...
By the way! The only person I want to see more in Skyrim than Barenziah is Helseth Hlaalu! All hail Great House Hlaalu! Masters of heavy armor!
Rex Help

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:09 am

You lucky damn son-of-a-[CENSORED] I've searched all over DF for the famous un-censored copys I've got all books'till five... damn... cept one...
By the way! The only person I want to see more in Skyrim than Barenziah is Helseth Hlaalu! All hail Great House Hlaalu! Masters of heavy armor!

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Real_Barenziah_%28Daggerfall%29 Here's a link to the full set of volumes from Daggerfall. It also contains a link to the Morrowind/Oblivion version, which is apparently longer but has a censored six scene with a Khajiit.
Amysaurusrex

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:59 am

I may be a noob for asking but i never played morrowind and i cant play it now because i played oblivion first but

Absolutely nothing prevents you from going back to enjoy it. Find a copy, read the wiki article at http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind_for_Oblivion_Players
maybe add a few graphic enhancement mods and enjoy - at least until 11/11/11 - and maybe ever after, too.

Oblivion nerfed SO many things, that I truly think Morrowind was the better of the two games. And the mod community has had that much longer to enhance it even more.
xxLindsAffec

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:54 am

200 years.

Is nothing for a Dunmer.
Kayla Oatney

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:52 am

Is nothing for a Dunmer.

I wasjust pointing out that she could have died in that time. I'm not saying she did, in fact I hope not, I want to see her, but there's many reasons she could have died.
Harry Leon

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:13 am

I wasjust pointing out that she could have died in that time. I'm not saying she did, in fact I hope not, I want to see her, but there's many reasons she could have died.

Yeah I suppose you may be right.
Noely Ulloa

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:15 pm

Wow.
You sir, missed out on a great read.
Try the link to the Daggerfall version of those books youll find on this thread.
You will never look at Khajit in quite the same way again.

Yeah, I know... I might read it soon, it was just the context of "I'll just take a little bit of time to read this book... wait, what?"
She wasnt just in Morrowind.
She was queen of Wayrest in Daggerfall and those wonderful books about her reveal she played a role in the events of Arena as well.
I would be really surprised if there wasnt at least a new book (series) about her.

Good point, I never played the 1 and 2 the whole way through... and I know the king of worms was recurring.

Technically :P
sas

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:37 am

I don't see why not, but I'd rather have Divath Fyr.

How AWESOME would that be?

It could be like:

So Yagrum Bagarn finally died in the Corprusarium in Tel Fyr, but before he died, he told Divayth about how there might be an explanation to the Dwenmer Disappearance in some ruin Skyrim. So you'd encounter him exploring in some deep dwemer ruin. That. Would. Be. Awesome. It won't happen obviously, but perhaps for another game.
Oscar Vazquez

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim