What does cannon mean?

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 pm

You mean this one? : http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090525055914/fallout/images/e/ee/Enclave_Deathclaw.png

That might have been it. I can't exactly remember now. It's been a while and I've got Rex brain upper most in my mind. Heh. A vertibird landed and dropped the second crate. I was all WOW! I miss these kinds of things.
Cagla Cali

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:45 am

Side topic: The intelligent deathclaws fate is not canon, as the first time I played FO2 the all survived and prospered in a allience with the ranchers.

Untill a mention of them is made in NV's dlc, or a future game all we can say is that their existence was canon, not how they ended up after FO2.
JD FROM HELL

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:56 am

Side topic: The intelligent deathclaws fate is not canon, as the first time I played FO2 the all survived and prospered in a allience with the ranchers.

Untill a mention of them is made in NV's dlc, or a future game all we can say is that their existence was canon, not how they ended up after FO2.

Wasn't it canonized in Fallout Bible that Horrigan and his team wiped out V13's inhabitants a second time?

I found bits and pieces of Intelligent Deathclaws fate but this one is the most straight forward:

Talking deathclaws

BTW, the talking deathclaws were destroyed at the end of Fallout 2. Xarn and Goris did not go on to create a new species. They are gone. Kaput. Goodbye. In fact, any mutant animal that talks can safely be assumed to have died at the end at the exact minute that Fallout 2 was over.

Any last words, talking animals?

I thought not.

But then we have the whole "Fallout Bible is only semi-canon" debate.

Brb when Ive skimmed through some more tid-bits.

Here's another one.

(question) 2. You said: "BTW, the talking deathclaws were destroyed at the end of Fallout 2. Xarn and Goris did not go on to create a new species. They are gone. Kaput. Goodbye. In fact, any mutant animal that talks can safely be assumed to have died at the end at the exact minute that Fallout 2 was over." but in previous update John Deiley said:

In any case, there is a chance that two intelligent deathclaws survived to continue on the species. I realize that they are both males, but that is fine. When they were engineered by the Enclave, the intelligence gene was made male specific and dominant. What this means is: Any intelligent male that mated with a non-intelligent female would (most likely) produce intelligent offspring. Who is the true? BTW in FOT was a lot of talking deathclaws.

(answer) The more recent update is the correct one. There are no more talking deathclaws after F2.

This is sorta on topic, apparently I was wrong about "pure humans == intelligent super mutants".
It's actually completely random according to Fallout Bible 5.
It's all up to luck...
Sooooooo...
10 Luck = becoming intelligent super mutant? :P
Alyce Argabright

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:41 am

Wasn't it canonized in Fallout Bible that Horrigan and his team wiped out V13's inhabitants a second time?

I don't know I can say I've never checked the Fallout bible, so you're most likely right thanks Gabriel.

Plus I hated the talking intelligent theme of monsters in that game, so if so a welcome goodbye to an abomination to story telling.

However I wish the ones in NV had a pacifist streak sometimes JK.
Far'ed K.G.h.m

Post » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:34 pm

[edit]
One problem though are the Talking Deathclaws.
They might have mutated in a different way from a different source allowing them to talk.
But still, Tactics is considered canon in some bits but I do not know where the Talking Deathclaws fit in.
I think Styles would know more about them than me.

I consider talking deathclaws in FO Tactics as canon. The Devs of tactics took an Idea the devs of fallout one wanted. The devs of FO1 had the idea for different types of Deathclaws. They wanted ones like in Tactics but the graphics would not do them justice. Still Bethesda considers the "High-Level events" of Tactics canon. There is a MWBoS, there was a calculator and The Warrior. Bethesda's Emil Pagliarulo has this to say about the Deathclaws "■The Deathclaws are portrayed as intelligent and talking. According to Fallout 2, the intelligent version was created by the Enclave after the events in Tactics. However, Tactics deathclaws have a normal maximum intelligence of 4, making them slightly smarter than dogs and leaving the most intelligent specimens just barely intelligent enough to speak -- this could have been a minor regional variation much like the appearance of hair."

Edit: that quote is from the vault and I am not 100% they are his words.

I would say they are canon, a sub species of Deathclaw.
GPMG

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:29 am

Thanks Styles. :)
lucy chadwick

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:20 pm

Canon is nerd rage mixed with the amazing action of grammar police combined with the fasion cops and then add a large dose of giant mutant atomic homeowners association.
CSar L

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:21 am

Canon is a Company
JaNnatul Naimah

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Canon is nerd rage mixed with the amazing action of grammar police combined with the fasion cops and then add a large dose of giant mutant atomic homeowners association.

Thanks for contributing, You are now fired from the Canon. just kidding.

Also, @ Styles: I agree that the Tactic Deathclaws are canon, I just don't agree everything else is.
R.I.P

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Which is why I said: "If they were to bring them back without giving a REALLY good and understandable explanation then it would be breaking "canon"."

(edited part of my first post)

Sorry, man. Completly overlooked that part.

Now to find a brick wall for my stupid head....
Lizzie

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:18 am

Also, @ Styles: I agree that the Tactic Deathclaws are canon, I just don't agree everything else is.

There's nothing in Tactics I would consider not canon. I have been thinking about it for close to 10 years. The intro is a little off saying the BoS came from a Vault but some people say "Continents were swallowed in flames and fell beneath the boiling oceans" is just hype. The main problem Bethesda has that I know of is that Tactics does not have that 1950s feel that they have for FO3 and FO New Vegas. Still FO1 and FO2 don't really have it either. They said "high-level events" so that pretty much means everything. I think we talked about this before.
Jack Walker

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:54 am

There's nothing in Tactics I would consider not canon. I have been thinking about it for close to 10 years. The intro is a little off saying the BoS came from a Vault but some people say "Continents were swallowed in flames and fell beneath the boiling oceans" is just hype. The main problem Bethesda has that I know of is that Tactics does not have that 1950s feel that they have for FO3 and FO New Vegas. Still FO1 and FO2 don't really have it either. They said "high-level events" so that pretty much means everything. I think we talked about this before.

Well F3 was the only one that stressed the fifties this much.

If you overlook some things tactics really works in the FO universe.
Max Van Morrison

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:29 am

Well F3 was the only one that stressed the fifties this much.

If you overlook some things tactics really works in the FO universe.

Very much agreed, if people can get past that it does not have the 1950s look like FO3 then they can enjoy it. It still has the 1950s feel and it has real world weapons many based before the 1950s time split. The story works and is great.
(G-yen)

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:55 am

You don't think that gasoline does not seem to be a rare resource goes against canon? Because ain't there supposed to be no gasoline left? But yeah, Fallout 1 and 2 don't really have a 1950's thing, it's just how it was pre-war but not how it is now. You can see it in the car wrecks, the pipboy, the tv-commercials, the vault boy introduction video and other details here and there, but not like people actually dressing and acting like it's the 50's. It's more Mad Max-ish than that. But I'm glad what Bethesda did and strengthened the 50's theme, because I like it, the retro-futurism in a dystopia/post-apocalyptic world that is.

Now... if there only could be a Tactics 2 being developed, with todays graphics, more retro-futurism that Tactics and following canon, with less focus on doing missions for BoS, and more focus on actual RPG'ing and choice... (I'm of course talking about a new birdview game where you control your character and your companions, and using that "live turnbased"-thing they had in Tactics).... Nah, who am I fooling? It's not mainstream and would not sell well, too complicated for people used to only FPS. I remember growing up in my brothers lap while he was playing games like this in the 90's. Ah...
cosmo valerga

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:09 am

You don't think that gasoline does not seem to be a rare resource goes against canon? Because ain't there supposed to be no gasoline left? But yeah, Fallout 1 and 2 don't really have a 1950's thing, it's just how it was pre-war but not how it is now. You can see it in the car wrecks, the pipboy, the tv-commercials, the vault boy introduction video and other details here and there, but not like people actually dressing and acting like it's the 50's. It's more Mad Max-ish than that. But I'm glad what Bethesda did and strengthened the 50's theme, because I like it, the retro-futurism in a dystopia/post-apocalyptic world that is.

Now... if there only could be a Tactics 2 being developed, with todays graphics, more retro-futurism that Tactics and following canon, with less focus on doing missions for BoS, and more focus on actual RPG'ing and choice... (I'm of course talking about a new birdview game where you control your character and your companions, and using that "live turnbased"-thing they had in Tactics).... Nah, who am I fooling? It's not mainstream and would not sell well, too complicated for people used to only FPS. I remember growing up in my brothers lap while he was playing games like this in the 90's. Ah...

gabriel77dan has started a FO Tactics II thread in the Fallout Series Discussion :D. FO3 and FO New Vegas has gas stations all over. The oil drums in Fallout Tactics are not always full of Oil, some have radioactive junk. Who's to say its Oil from the ground and not bio-oil or synthetic oil? FO2 there is a quest to get Fuel for the tanker or the hubologists does that mean FO2 is not canon? The cars in FO Tactics could run on ethanol. Things can be explained.

FO1 and FO2 did have the 1950s feel I am not saying it did not but they had the feel that those days are in the past "the long ago time." The world had moved on with new fashion and culture. FO3 brought it right back, almost everyone stuck in 1950s clothing as if they never thought to make new clothing.
Talitha Kukk

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:42 pm

gabriel77dan has started a FO Tactics II thread in the Fallout Series Discussion :D.

Wherez?! :o I'll look into it!

FO3 and FO New Vegas has gas stations all over. The oil drums in Fallout Tactics are not always full of Oil, some have radioactive junk. Who's to say its Oil from the ground and not bio-oil or synthetic oil? FO2 there is a quest to get Fuel for the tanker or the hubologists does that mean FO2 is not canon? The cars in FO Tactics could run on ethanol. Things can be explained.

Yes, now that you say it... it doesn't have to be gasoline. But I've actually wondered why there are gas stations in Fallout 3/New Vegas when all the cars have small nuclear reactors :P There are also no pumps in the gas stations, not that I remember I've seen now. Guess there still can be gas, but may be too rare/expensive that it wouldn't be worthwhile using it as fuel for cars or powering your house or such.

FO1 and FO2 did have the 1950s feel I am not saying it did not but they had the feel that those days are in the past "the long ago time." The world had moved on with new fashion and culture. FO3 brought it right back, almost everyone stuck in 1950s clothing as if they never thought to make new clothing.

Yeah, that was what I meant. The 50's things are the ancient garbage lying around, but the people ain't 50's at all.
Neil

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:08 am

Wherez?! :o I'll look into it!

Fallout Series section. ;)
Donatus Uwasomba

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:21 pm

I'd say you can consider as much of Tactics as canon as you like, as long as it doesn't contradict previously stated canon in the other games. For example, I'd say that the Midwestern BoS exist. A few things that is a little weird in Tactics is that there are loads of real life modern weapons (which actually isn't contradicting canon, but I just like the alternative timeline weapons more, like in Fallout Tactics there's the AK-47, while in Fallout 1 and 2 there's the AK-112 which is fictional but still of the AK family), there are tanks and cars running on gas and there are oil drums everywhere. That can't be according to canon since USA switched everything to nuclear, while Europe still heavily depended on the oil from the Middle East and then there was the Resource War for the last oil, which eventually ran out.

(although I read on a terminal in Fallout New Vegas, Raul mentioned a super mutant who wanted him to fix his car and brought him a can of gas if it was of any help, but where did he get that?)

Thanks for the info!
Trent Theriot

Previous

Return to Fallout: New Vegas