What does cannon mean?

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 12:28 pm

Several times iv seen people on the forums say something like"thats not cannon"but I dont have any idea what that means.If anyone can tell me id appreciate it.
Ladymorphine

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 3:14 am

It's "canon".
Not cannon.

Here's a fun read: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Canon

So.. Hmmm.
Intelligent Deathclaws.

They're kinda extinct. [edit] (It depends if Goris against all odds found a deathclaw mother to mate with, and against all odds wasn't killed by it because he was "abnormal", and against all odds became the alpha male of the pack, and against all odds his "intelligent" gene is superior to the regular gene. If all of this went as planned then yes, Intelligent deathclaws could exist. With emphasis on "could".)

By the end of Fallout 2 all of them except Goris and Xarn were wiped out.
And since they were a creation of the Enclave which is now gone, there is no way to bring them back.
Goris and Xarn could of course breed with other deathclaws but the genes would eventually dumb down by each generation.
So they're kinda extinct.
So.
That's canon.
If they were to bring them back without giving a REALLY good and understandable explanation then it would be breaking "canon".

Wannamingos.
They're extinct.
Again, products of Enclave. (Or was it pre-war research?)
There is no way to bring them back, at all.
Their internal clocks simply stopped ticking and they all died out.
Bringing them back would be breaking "canon". (And no, the queen in Redding was killed, that's canon, and there was only one queen, so no "but there might have been another queen!")

[edit]
One problem though are the Talking Deathclaws.
They might have mutated in a different way from a different source allowing them to talk.
But still, Tactics is considered canon in some bits but I do not know where the Talking Deathclaws fit in.
I think Styles would know more about them than me.
Abel Vazquez

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 11:17 am

Canon, one 'n' :D It means events or knowledge that is confirmed to be correct in the game world.
Bee Baby

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 4:50 am

Thanks.
Nichola Haynes

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 10:29 am

History, or events in game that continue within the series as long as they have been mentioned in game or actually present.

I.E Caesers legion was not canon despite being in a planed game Van Bueren, but now since being present in NV they are canon.
Bellismydesi

Post » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:25 pm

Several times iv seen people on the forums say something like"thats not cannon"but I dont have any idea what that means.If anyone can tell me id appreciate it.

'canon'. just one 'n'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)

Basically, it's the imaginary history and background setting that a story (or game) is based off of.
Kelli Wolfe

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:54 am

Cannons widely used in the Civil War as well as on ships during the British Invasion :flamethrower:
IsAiah AkA figgy

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:09 am

Cannons widely used in the Civil War as well as on ships during the British Invasion :flamethrower:

And by pirates! http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/310/7/a/op__the_straw_hat_pirates_by_kurkoboltsi-d32bezm.jpg
Richus Dude

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:03 am

It's "canon".
Not cannon.

So.. Hmmm.
Intelligent Deathclaws.

They're extinct.

Are Goris and Xarn the Deathclaws that the Enclave let out of the big crates over by Dukav's Place in Fallout 3? I guess I could just look this up.
Rachell Katherine

Post » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:30 pm

So.. Hmmm.
Intelligent Deathclaws.

They're extinct.

And since they were a creation of the Enclave which is now gone, there is no way to bring them back.
Goris and Xarn could of course breed with other deathclaws but the genes would eventually dumb down by each generation.
So they're extinct.
So.
That's canon.
If they were to bring them back without giving a REALLY good and understandable explanation then it would be breaking "canon".

Wannamingos.
They're extinct.
Again, products of Enclave.
Bringing them back would be breaking "canon". (And no, the queen in Redding was killed, that's canon, and there was only one queen, so no "but there might have been another queen!")

Nope.

Seriously nope. Just because a certain group fell together doesn't mean that knowdlege wasn't transfered over to surviving members or that it would be impossible to replicate it, at least in a different form. Explained correctly it would NOT break cannon.

... It would be pretty lame though.

There are way better examples for canon breaking for example if a certain fact is suddenly changed in the lore.
Amiee Kent

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:05 am

Nope.

Seriously nope. Just because a certain group fell together doesn't mean that knowdlege wasn't transfered over to surviving members or that it would be impossible to replicate it, at least in a different form. Explained correctly it would NOT break cannon.

Which is why I said: "If they were to bring them back without giving a REALLY good and understandable explanation then it would be breaking "canon"."

(edited part of my first post)
Jennie Skeletons

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:40 am

Wannamingos were a pre-war experiment, and only one member was capable of reproduction the queen, and she died and the species with it.
Strawberry

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:11 am

Are Goris and Xarn the Deathclaws that the Enclave let out of the big crates over by Dukav's Place in Fallout 3? I guess I could just look this up.

Ehm, what? Did you meet two friendly, intelligent, talking Deathclaws in Fallout 3 that I didn't? :s They were only in Fallout 2 IIRC
P PoLlo

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:29 pm

FoT wasn't cannon? But I like the game. :sadvaultboy:
Cameron Wood

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:00 am

It's "canon".
Not cannon.

So.. Hmmm.
Intelligent Deathclaws.

They're extinct.

So they're extinct.
So.
That's canon.

Wannamingos.
They're extinct.
Again, products of Enclave.

[edit]
One problem though are the Talking Deathclaws.
They might have mutated in a different way from a different source allowing them to talk.
But still, Tactics is considered canon in some bits but I do not know where the Talking Deathclaws fit in.
I think Styles would know more about them than me.

[EDIT]
And before Hungry Donner has the chance! This should be in Universe or Series Discussion!

I do remember Goris, but is Xarn that deathclaw from navaro?
Adriana Lenzo

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:27 am

I do remember Goris, but is Xarn that deathclaw from navaro?

Yup.
i don't fully remember but did Xarn survive according to canon?
Cause if he didn't then the chances for Intelligent deathclaws to breed with normal deathclaws were halfed seeing as how only Goris is left.
Georgine Lee

Post » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:44 pm

The idea that the current story or something within the game does not make sense with the old games or story.
Scott Clemmons

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:44 am

Yup.
i don't fully remember but did Xarn survive according to canon?
Cause if he didn't then the chances for Intelligent deathclaws to breed with normal deathclaws were halfed seeing as how only Goris is left.

Well it depends how you did the quest... if I remember correctly you can either kill or release it.
Project

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:01 am

Well it depends how you did the quest... if I remember correctly you can either kill or release it.

Well, that's the players choice, but what is the canonical thing that The Chosen one did? (If it was ever disclosed)
FITTAS

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:50 am

FoT wasn't cannon? But I like the game. :sadvaultboy:

I'd say you can consider as much of Tactics as canon as you like, as long as it doesn't contradict previously stated canon in the other games. For example, I'd say that the Midwestern BoS exist. A few things that is a little weird in Tactics is that there are loads of real life modern weapons (which actually isn't contradicting canon, but I just like the alternative timeline weapons more, like in Fallout Tactics there's the AK-47, while in Fallout 1 and 2 there's the AK-112 which is fictional but still of the AK family), there are tanks and cars running on gas and there are oil drums everywhere. That can't be according to canon since USA switched everything to nuclear, while Europe still heavily depended on the oil from the Middle East and then there was the Resource War for the last oil, which eventually ran out.

(although I read on a terminal in Fallout New Vegas, Raul mentioned a super mutant who wanted him to fix his car and brought him a can of gas if it was of any help, but where did he get that?)
Felix Walde

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:42 am

Ehm, what? Did you meet two friendly, intelligent, talking Deathclaws in Fallout 3 that I didn't? :s They were only in Fallout 2 IIRC

Oh. No, they weren't friendly, I don't think. I forgot that little detail. They had brains encased in glass like Rex.
Allison Sizemore

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:54 am

Oh. No, they weren't friendly. I forgot that little detail. They had brains encased in glass like Rex.

You mean this one? : http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090525055914/fallout/images/e/ee/Enclave_Deathclaw.png
I love YOu

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:37 am

You mean this one? : http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090525055914/fallout/images/e/ee/Enclave_Deathclaw.png

Yeah. Remote-controlled Deathclaw. Not a brain incased in a glass bukkit. Not a sentinent, talking Deathclaw.
Donatus Uwasomba

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 am

(although I read on a terminal in Fallout New Vegas, Raul mentioned a super mutant who wanted him to fix his car and brought him a can of gas if it was of any help, but where did he get that?)

fSPOILARZ]

It actually turned out to be a little toy car. :laugh:
Damian Parsons

Post » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:15 am

fSPOILARZ]

It actually turned out to be a little toy car. :laugh:

Oh. But still, what about the gas can? Was that an accessory for the toy car? :P
Dean

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas