NCR and tanks

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:54 pm

Helicopters provide fast mobile weapon support /harder to shoot down/more uses.Tanks are good but only when u can afford the bill for them lol.A cheap knockoff of the vertibird would be alot cheaper in supply/fuel /resources required to build.Like a earlier post said a vertibird with power armoured units=ass ownage/or even a bombing run :P

Well, for one, a knockoff of a vertibird wouldn't be cheap. Certainly wouldn't be cheaper than a tank.

Secondly, because aircraft has to be lightweight, they are necessarily fragile. Some of their most vital parts- engines, helicopter rotor blades- by their nature cannot be armored. Plus they burn through their fuel rather quickly and then they have to fly away. A tank, on the other hand, is a mountain of armor. Even if it runs out of ammo and fuel both, it can still provide protection for the troops by physically shielding them from enemy fire.
butterfly

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:14 am

One thing bugging me a little is the idea that PA would replace tanks.
Kinetic displacement on a PA suit would in no way equal a tank, even if you take into account the greater curve of PA the thickness of such composite material.
Power bundles, servos, and other endo skeleton features would take up alot of the room rather than solid plating.
Even if the PA had a electro magnetic hull shield, stabilisers and force resistant gel to take the brunt of energies force, shear brute force would butterfly the insides of the wearer given strength, and certainly send him flying on impact.
A tank and crew could withstand these far better, especially as the tech in PA would be easier to transfer to larger frames.

Apparently the inventors of PA overcame those challenges. They're not supposed to be realistic; PA is a product of Science!
Laura-Jayne Lee

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:11 am

I think the reason is that extracting the last Petroleum is out the NCR's reach. Right now tehy dont have the industry. 50 to 100 years or maybe even 20 and you might start to see mechanisation.

About using Nuclear energy and engines, I thought the reason teh war started was because of the US adn China fighting over petroleum and uranium. So I would assume tehn that military vehicles were still petroleum based adn that they were just on teh verge of making smaller nuclear reactors adn that they were really expensive. So if tehy ahve trouble getting petrol then tehy are going to have trouble refurbishing nuclear engines, and making new ones. As well as extracting uranium.
biiibi

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:41 am

Apparently the inventors of PA overcame those challenges. They're not supposed to be realistic; PA is a product of Science!

I keep forgeting Science, it's just so much fun coming up with flaws in game logic you forget that none of it matters.
Brentleah Jeffs

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:17 pm

I think the reason is that extracting the last Petroleum is out the NCR's reach. Right now tehy dont have the industry. 50 to 100 years or maybe even 20 and you might start to see mechanisation.

About using Nuclear energy and engines, I thought the reason teh war started was because of the US adn China fighting over petroleum and uranium. So I would assume tehn that military vehicles were still petroleum based adn that they were just on teh verge of making smaller nuclear reactors adn that they were really expensive. So if tehy ahve trouble getting petrol then tehy are going to have trouble refurbishing nuclear engines, and making new ones. As well as extracting uranium.

Just to play devil's advocate on this. You could say they took the reactor's from the old cars (which is what's obviously making them blow up), and used them in powering the tanks they've acquired somehow?
Amysaurusrex

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:53 am

In that case why have the NCR not just wiped the Legion out. The big gun at the damn could level the Fort real quick. A single vertibird should be enough to wipe the Legion out. They have no anti air and you could just drop bottle cap bombs on em' ... endlessly. Slightly higher tech wepons, like C-4 would be devastating.

It's just a game. In real war any air power is as Rommel said:

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success."

Nice but Erwin Rommel did not fight in Vietnam. Dispite what many think airpower alone does not win wars. You have to go in and fight. Yes a good case for tanks but as its been pointed out tanks would be rare and replaced by PA. PA would be their goal or more combat armour. Legion does not have combat armour or PA. Why NCR does not take out the legion? Many reason they are to big and army is spread out. Taking control of all the legions lands would require alot of men and resources and it would alost doublt NCRs land. They are having a hard time controlling what they have.

I don't know why they don't use the canon. Out of ammo? :blink:
Kat Stewart

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:22 am

I think the NCR should focus first on building troop carriers. Their real problem is that they are extending themselves. The ability to bring troops and supplies to the front line would greatly increase their military capabilities.
Ricky Rayner

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:57 pm

But why does china still use them during OA?

If someone else has already answered this I apologize, I didn't read any comments after this.
Also, minor, minor spoilers.

The Chinese used tanks in OA because OA is a simulator of a battle from before the Great War. Where America had Power Armour, but China didn't, even though they had the Stealth Suits they didn't have actual power armour.
Carlos Rojas

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:54 pm

The Chinese used tanks in OA because OA is a simulator of a battle from before the Great War. Where America had Power Armour, but China didn't, even though they had the Stealth Suits they didn't have actual power armour.

And as I said before they weren't actually tanks but modified Alaskan drilling robots and were possibly a fabrication by the slowly deteriorating General Chase
Chloe :)

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:06 am

Definitely hope they put in some restored vehicles in future fallouts once they have a game world to fully support them. Tactics had restored tanks and APCs but they were rubbish.

I find it very hard to believe all automotive transport simply ceased to exist, even with tanks that weren't officially being used. And surely they would still have armoured vehicle support regardless of dudes in power armour ? If you could heavily armour your infantry then it's no stretch of the imagination as to how they might update vehicle support too.

Then there's the high possibility that out dated tech had remained in use to save on costs or tucked away in storage somewhere or used by ill-equipped armed groups or whatever. If you can find an M1 garand that far in to the future surely tanks could be found somewhere in the wastes.

All they have to do is decide to include them.
Sxc-Mary

Post » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:45 am

Wow ... Thanks Mike and Golem for spewing a bit of commen sense heheh.

I am sure it is mainly just game issues is why plain and simple.. Though in tactics I believe that tank was gas powered and used shells.. you guys should know that not all turrents have the same type of payload or armements and I am betting by the time of the great war many turrent types were probably interchangeable.. And given that most the cars are fusion ran I am betting same for tanks plus say they were using energy weapons shudder even more weight for armor as you would not have to carry rounds ......

All that being said I sure hope at some point the system will support such things but I would never want to it become commenplace as well to me it just dose not fit... But seeing a group or raiders bearing down on you in an Sdkfz 251 they dug out of some pre war museum sure would make a change of pants moment... hell i would even settle for some redneck raiders in a Pickup truck heheh
James Rhead

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Nice but Erwin Rommel did not fight in Vietnam. Dispite what many think airpower alone does not win wars. You have to go in and fight.

er... no.

I'm pretty sure, in his life time, Rommel forgot more about war than you'd ever know, and by your comment, I am certain you do not understand what happened in Viet Nam and why it ended the way it ended.
Ally Chimienti

Previous

Return to Fallout: New Vegas